Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1569757 05/12/06 01:43 AM
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
Kk, i have looked around and i see a lot of help for people wanting the exact stuff needed for say the sleeper Z mod, but I am looking to see exctly what i need if i wanan keep the airbox on my TB. I basicly want Airbox to pipe to MAFSensor(correct me if im wrong)to Open K&N Filter.

Thanks alot and if i didnt search well enough forgive me.

Chris

#1569758 05/12/06 03:55 AM
H
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
H

Minus the pipe to MAF, I just so happen to have what you request! Just replace the stock pre-resonater with the exhaust pipe and silicone/rubber connectors.

Hey Mods sticky me so I don't have to keep telling kids how to do this one! Thanx!

J.T.'s MERC-0-MATIC SHORT RAM HYBRID INTAKE

Step 1!
Go down to your local Autozone and buy:
-3" silicone connector w/clamps

-3" inlet paper-media cylindrical air filter. Part# should be PA**** for a Purolator.

-3M or Scotch brand packing tape. The kind with the fibers inside.

-(optional) aftermarket breather filter.

-Flat-head screwdriver, 1/4 inch driver ratchet with 9 or 10mm socket for battery ground nut.

Step2!
Installation!

A. Open up hood and disconnect battery ground by loosening nut and removing black (negative) cable from battery.

B.unclip top of stock airbox from bottom.

C. GENTLY unclip and remove MAF from upper portion of stock airbox. set airbox aside and disconnect electrical connector from MAF. KEEP TRACK OF THE CLIP!!!!

D. Unloop rubber retaining band from far driver-side of the lower airbox. Hold onto this band in case you want to return to stock. Carefully pull back rubber connector from lower airbox that leads to the driver-side fender. Remove stock breather filter assembly from airbox(it's in the corner and attached to a tube. A hose leading from the valve cover is on the outside) If you twist it, it will come out without too much trouble, just keep trying. You can either keep the stocker or install the aftermarket breather here. Then GENTLY pull lower airbox out of retainers. It may take a bit of effort, but don't get rough with it.

E.(PRE98 ONLY, Post98 skip this step!) remove tubing and MAF from the intake resonator (the plastic thing above your ignition coil). Use packing tape to cover hole in intake tubing across from IAT sensor. Be careful not to pull the IAT wiring out. Better yet, just remove the connector beforehand, however be SURE you reconnect it.

F. Reconnect tubing to resonator but not MAF yet. Remove rubber ring from MAF if you have a metallic one, not so sure about the Post 98s. Slip 3" silicone connector over MAF. IT may take some effort, but it will fit. Tighten MAF side hose clamp.

G. Insert air filter inlet into 3"connector with MAF. I know this sounds retarded, but make sure you put the clamp on the connector before you put the filter in the connector. It saves time and frustration;). Tighten filter-side clamp.

H. insert MAF into intake plenum/resonator tubing and tighten clamp. Make the filter fit how you want it to in your engine bay, as many people don't have the same size batteries, there is no specific setup here, so just make it fit.

I. Reconnect MAF and IAT sensor connectors. Remember to re-clip the MAF connector.

J. Reconnect battery ground and start her up. Drive around for a while and let the ECU relearn with the new air intake. After the computer adjusts, you should notice markedly improved throttle response and slightly faster 1/4 mile times, along with a certain intake howl with certain brands of filters. The FRAM made the most distinct howl, but the Purolator provided the best ETs. I went from an 18.7 to an 18.4 under good conditions both times. I'm not making an absolute guarantee, but that's what you might expect. IF you have any questions PM me. I'll try and get GS474 to post a pic of the setup. I did his for him. Alas my Merc is no longer ...

Step 3!
Enjoy!!

Last edited by Hydramatic; 05/12/06 03:58 AM.

J.T. 2002 Chevrolet Silverado 294ci V8. Custom CAI, headers on the way... 1997 Mercury Mystique Zetec ATX Deceased February 2006
#1569759 05/12/06 05:53 PM
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
Thanks alot, Ill deffinently be doing this soon. Sorry if you had to restate this guide more then once.

#1569760 05/14/06 06:05 AM
H
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
H
Oh, not at all dude. I enjoy sharing wisdom of intake-o-da magic. Around 3k RPM, it'll give off a sort of howl. I wish my truck did that....

J.T. 2002 Chevrolet Silverado 294ci V8. Custom CAI, headers on the way... 1997 Mercury Mystique Zetec ATX Deceased February 2006

Moderated by  Loco4G63 

Link Copied to Clipboard