Next Thread
Print Thread
D
DefZ Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
D
So I decided to replace my alternator by myself. Using the DIY program that was suggested here (removing the coil pack from the top of the engine rather than the y-pipe as suggested in the Haynes book), I was able to unscrew the alternator. However, upon disconnecting the the wiring, I broke the small black clip that attaches to the rear of the alternator. It is a single black wire, leading me to believe that this is the ground wire. Does anyone know what this is called specifically and what can I do to fix it? I can't find the piece that broke off, so repairing it is going to be near to impossible. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Horsepower is more expensive than crack.
D
DefZ Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
D
Well, after trips to 2 Ford dealerships, Napa, ACDelco and Direct Auto parts, I still have NO idea what that plug is for. A mechanic I know said it's for the battery light on the dashboard. Regardless, I slid it on, and put everything back together. So, for now, the car is running. I am out of time for the day, but tomorrow (or sometime soon) I will refill the transmission res (I took out the driveaxle to make room for the alternator to come out and go in.

So, the new alternator is in, and good for now.

E
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
E
I know what you are talking about but not sure at the moment what it is BUT if it stlii slides on ok put a dap od silicone over the remaining plastic clip to help hold it in the alt. Oh and so you know next time, the driva axel does not have to come out you just need to disconnect the tie rod and you would have room to get it out. I just got done doing the same to my car but I droped the y-pipe, easy as pie when you have air tools.

D
DefZ Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
D
Yeah - I tried to remove the ypipe initially, but all the connectors were rusted to hell and there was no way I could get the ypipe off. So I went to plan B and removed the coil pack from the back of the engine and went at the top alt bolt from between the back of the engine and the firewall. It would have been preferrable to remove the y-pipe.

H
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
H
i believe that wire is for the batt dash light. if you dont plug it in and your alt is failing, it wont turn on the dash light to tell u theres a problem

Hugo AIM:omegazodiac 95 gl & 99 contour svt #1750/2760 my profile pics stuff for sale

Link Copied to Clipboard