Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#1568938 05/11/06 01:47 AM
P
Pen_Two Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
P
I have till the 15th to get this sorted out...

A few weeks back, my car died on me. Power steering, brakes, everything. The battery light came on. Well, it came back today, the battery light flickered whenever it wanted to since 9 a.m. when I left. Sitting in neutral, calm 3rd gear at 25mph driving, it ran fine and that light flickered...and then when I accelerated rapidly, the tach died. Everything electronic died, the ABS light came on steady, but the brakes, powersteering, and engine were still on. If I tried to use my blinker, I got this horribly loud extremely fast clicking noise. I pulled over, and shut the car off. Tried to turn it on, and the battery was dead.
After about 10 minutes, it started back up unwillingly because of the battery. Maybe 2 miles down the road, it did it again and the same symptoms. I pulled over, and tried to turn on my hazard lights just to be safe, and the car died. It started up after 20 minutes, but the symptoms stayed this time. I got maybe a mile away from my apartment, and I couldn't accelerate. It kept jumping to accelerate, then dipping down and wouldn't go. I managed to make it home, but the battery is dead, and I don't have any idea what to do.

I read some links provided to me via LUCA from one of the messages, but the symptoms I'm getting aren't really what the other posters were getting. I got a no-load/load test done on my battery and alternator, and they were fine a few weeks ago when the initial problem occured. I checked the connection on the Alternator, and it was very firm.

I have no idea what's wrong with it, and if possible...help would be greatly appreciated.

I really don't want to change my Alternator...I saw pictures of the process, it scares me a bit. Lol.

I call my E0 Claire. 24 hour what? I'm looking to buy a like-new condition SVT grill, and a shift knob that works with the reverse lever PM me with the details.
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
if the alternator light is flashing that means the system isn't charging. chances are the brushes in the alternator are worn and they are floating at rpm which causes the no charge condition.

you need to pull the alternator and check the brushes as that can be replaced on its own, otherwise its a new alternator

but confirm that the battey is good and holds a charge

and it is known that these cars do weird things when there isn't enough voltage coming from the battery

- 95 Mystique LS - Zetec/5spd - 99 Contour SeVT Sport - Duratec/5spd Official NE-CEG Contour/Mustang Family
P
Pen_Two Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
P
Is there a way to check the brushes without having to pull the entire alternator out?

I call my E0 Claire. 24 hour what? I'm looking to buy a like-new condition SVT grill, and a shift knob that works with the reverse lever PM me with the details.
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
you might be able to get them out but I am not sure, you would need to look at it

not sure it would happen in your case but out two cars we ad to replace alternators on came from New Hampshire and the insides were fairly corroded and the cases were cracked, check it out becasue if the case is cracked you need to replace the whole think anyway, and we have had good luck with junk yard alternators.

- 95 Mystique LS - Zetec/5spd - 99 Contour SeVT Sport - Duratec/5spd Official NE-CEG Contour/Mustang Family
P
Pen_Two Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
P
Lol, well...it's sitting on the Rt. 6 Bypass by the Jessup exit.

D
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
D
Well how far is that from Lake Winola? I could come help you, especially if you got it towed to your house, I can help you with your alternator change out if you need it. And if you give me some time I can research the brushes and check those. I am free today, tomorrow after like 4PM, and sunday, but I start work 7AM monday morning, so if you're free this weekend, shoot me a PM and I'll see what I can do.

'99 Spruce Green SE "Sport" 'Tour, 2.5L MTX...80K and running like it just rolled off the lot. Tryin' to add an extra .5L ASAP
L
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
L
Originally posted by DanMyers:
Well how far is that from Lake Winola?

Total Est. Time: 37 minutes

Total Est. Distance: 24.20 miles

Thanks Dan! I hope you can get there and give Glenn a hand.

D
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
D
I hope so too, BTW I know where Dunmore is, I just meant where on Rt.6. Haha. I really need to unload my car, I packed up all of my stuff in it yesterday and it looks like I have a Koni kit...but only on the rear!

'99 Spruce Green SE "Sport" 'Tour, 2.5L MTX...80K and running like it just rolled off the lot. Tryin' to add an extra .5L ASAP
P
Pen_Two Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
P
The car is in Waymart now. As am I.

P
Pen_Two Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
P
Well, I'm free all day today, and all day tomorrow. I did pick up a new Alt. because the car wouldn't even try to run if I jumped it. The battery is probably beyond rechargeable considering how many times it got jumped yesterday and ran till it died.

If you'd like to help out Dan, I'll more than appreciate the help. Although, I'd be indebted to you for some time.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard