Print Thread
#1568270 05/10/06 11:54 AM
F
Frosty Offline OP
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
Ok guys, after doing some considerable searching, I haven't found any information on my problem. Last week I filled up my SVT and parked it in my driveway and left in a friends car. About half an hour later my mother calls me and tells me that it's leaking gas. I smelled gas before I left but couldn't see a puddle. When i got home there was a small sized one. It turns out it appears to be leaking from the connection from the fuel filler hose to the tank. There is a white plastic piece connecting the two and it looks like it's leaking from there. It hasn't done this since i bought it, but this was also the first time I filled it up and then parked it. Has anybody else had this problem? I don't know if there is a gasket in there thats leaking or what the problem is and figured I would ask here before shipping it to the Ford Stealership. Thanks in advance

Kyle

A Contour is not just a car, it's an experience 99 T-Red SE Zetec ATX Born April 16, 1999 98 E0 Silver Frost CSVT #3175/3565 Born August 21st, 1997 Stored at P.R.T. for the winter 67 Mustang 289 project car
#1568271 08/04/06 11:59 AM
D
Dal Offline
D
I know the original post some time ago but ....
Yes - we have had this in the UK (Mondeo). The filler pipe to tank connection leaks when the tank is under pressure after a drive and the tank if over 1/2 full. As is gets worse, it will leak even with the tank on low. It's bad in hot weather after a long drive. If you release the pressure by opening the filler cap, the leak will stop. As a temp fix - leave the filler cap slightly loose until you can get the seal/gasket replaced.

I think the tank is pressurised maybe to slow evaporation of the fuel - anti-pollution.

Dal Mondeo 1998 2.0L auto 104K miles
#1568272 08/04/06 12:56 PM
B
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
B
I thought our gas tanks had a ventilation system that went in to a carbon filled chamber to relive pressure and stop the pollution of the gas vapors?

98.5 Black SVT with 34k miles Build #5683 Born on 4\15\1998 WR Headers GMK CAI Blaupunkt system fiberglass tweeter pods L.E.D. tail lights in the works

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard