Next Thread
Print Thread
J
JasonJ Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
J
Does anyone know where I can get a how-to on changing the front belt(pass. side)? I've read that this is more simple than an oil change and such, so I think I am completely capable of doing it myself. But, I've never done a belt before and I def. do not want to mess anything up. Anyone know of some help anywhere? I've looked at the car several times and the only thing that I am questionable on is the tensioner. I'm sure it is the silver thing in the middle of the belt routing, but I just want to make sure I have read up on it 100% before I tear into anything. Any help is appreciated! Thanks! 1998 Duratec MTX by the way!

B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
If you can see a 3/8" square hole in the device you have probably found the right thing.

I strongly recommend you buy a special tool for it. It is hard to access with a conventional 3/8" ratchet or breaker bar.

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited
B
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
B
"I've read that this is more simple than an oil change"

not the ones i have done

98.5 Black SVT with 34k miles Build #5683 Born on 4\15\1998 WR Headers GMK CAI Blaupunkt system fiberglass tweeter pods L.E.D. tail lights in the works
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A

1998 Mystique LS: -2.5 Duratec ATX -Vibrant White -------------------- =Pics= =Info=
L
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
L
Originally posted by Big Jim:
If you can see a 3/8" square hole in the device you have probably found the right thing.

I strongly recommend you buy a special tool for it. It is hard to access with a conventional 3/8" ratchet or breaker bar.

I agree. There isn't enough room to get a ratchet in there. The frame member is too close.
I found the best access by removing the right front wheel and removing the plastic splash guard.

'98 LS MTX

Link Copied to Clipboard