Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
B
First time working on an upgraded later model transaxle and having a horrible time with the cable ends req'd with the Focus shift tower.

Can anyone with prior experience advise me on how to set the darn thing up correctly? I installed the cable ends and pushed them to their shortest position. Then put the shifter in the approx. neutral positon, pushed in the orange release clips, put the trans in neutral via the shift tower and pushed the release clips. Everything seemed OK until trying to operate the shifter whence the orange clip popped right out and released the cable completely. Did this many more times and quit in utter disgust/complete frustration.

The chintzy cable ends were used and I'm beginning to wonder if I should get a set of new ones. They're not very robust.

Gimme' a rod shifter anyday! May be a bit stiffer, but setup is a breeze.

Thanks for the help.

Redcoat Raceworks. Performance parts and custom fabricating for Contours, Mystiques and Cougars. Specializing in chassis and suspension parts. Custom end links, control arms, strut tower bars, engine torque braces, etc.
T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
Brad, just to make sure, do you have the correct cables in the correct position? We had that goof up happen when I wasn't there while doing the swap for Hammad.

Then: 99 Silver Frost SVT #1919 237hp/219tq All Motor Now: 06 White STI Parts 4 sale
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
Evan I took the cable ends off the Cougar that the transmission came out of. When I had originally put the cable ends on the cables I left the cables in the postion they were currently in. But then agian they could have moved when I was taking the cable ends off.

Aaron

AKA NVS SVT 98.5 Silver/Blue SVT#4553 Yeah it's modded 98 T-Red/Blue SVT Contour Totaled 06/05/06 03 3L,VCN 2000,CAT Cams,MSDS Headers w/Y-Pipe,XCal2 and lots more
B
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
B
Evan: When the motor was out of the car and I had lots of room I got in the engine bay and took a good look at the cables and the ends. Now it is always possible that I made a mistake but I don't think so.

There are 2 different colours to the clips on the cable ends, as I recall. It did seem that we had all the gears set up correctly with the exception of 5/R. Could get it in to fifth, but difficult to get out. Of course, the cable ends refused to stay on...

I see no one else is able to offer assistance on this topic. Interesting.

Redcoat Raceworks. Performance parts and custom fabricating for Contours, Mystiques and Cougars. Specializing in chassis and suspension parts. Custom end links, control arms, strut tower bars, engine torque braces, etc.
T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
The problem is I have not looked at that setup since last August so I can't recall off the top of my head where things went.

I will take a look at my DVD tonight and get back to you if there is any useful info for you.

Then: 99 Silver Frost SVT #1919 237hp/219tq All Motor Now: 06 White STI Parts 4 sale
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
When the cable end bushing wore out on mine I learned a lot about the cables and cable ends. I'll try to summerize.

For the cable shift Contiques there are two cable styles. They are interchangable as an entire assembly, but pieces between them are not interchangable. The first style is the 98 style, both E0 and E1. The cables are a bit larger and more robust. The other one is the 99 and newer. The cable ends between the two styles will not interchange. The later style is the only cable assembly now available through Ford.

The Focus uses a different cable end because the Focus shift tower uses different "pins" or "shafts" for the cable end to engage. The Contique style "pin" is straight while the Focus style has a ball end.

If you choose to use a Focus shift tower you must either use the Focus cable ends, or change the "pins" to the Contique style. The Focus cable ends will fit the 98 Contique cable, but will not fit the 99 and newer cable.

I hope this may clear up a few things.

And by the way, the Focus cable assembly is not the answer. It is too short.

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited
C
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
C
Originally posted by Bradness:
I see no one else is able to offer assistance on this topic. Interesting.

Sorry, I just saw your post.

I put together the MTX-75 update How-To, which has a picture of the cable ends I had. When I installed my transaxle I had the same problems. It took me a while to get it adjusted correctly but here is what I did.

1. Jack the car up and remove the drivers side front wheel

2. Reach through the wheel well and unhook the cable ends.

3. Put the shift tower into the netural position.

4. Remove the boot off the shifter and then place the shifter in neutral.

5. Using a vise grips lock the cables connecting to the shifter in place.

6. Adjust the cable ends until they are the right length to snap into place.

7. Remove the vise grips and see if you can get into each gear.

8. If you can shift into all the gears place the place the wheel back on and lower the car, otherwise go back to step 2 and repeat.

9. Enjoy.

Hope that helps. Also it might be worth getting new ends. The part numbers are in the How-To I linked above and you can get them pretty cheap through Steve or Mike M. at Tousley Ford, White Bear Lake, MN. Call 1-800-328-9552 and ask for either Steve or Mike M. Mention you want the SVTperformance group discount.

-Mike 98 Contour SVT Toreador Red #49 of 6535 Built on 3/25/97 WR Headers, Borla Cat-Back, Torsen T2 LSD, K&N Short Ram, S-AFC and Focus Shift Tower 85 Camaro 1969 358ci, 97 TA interior, 91 Z28 GrdEfx and Aero Wing 255rwhp
T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
Brad,

Did you hear from Dan. Both he and I concurr that you have the cables in the wrong mount on the bracket.

B
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
B
Evan: Yes I got the message from Dan. I'm willing to try your suggestion out, but attempting to get the adjustment procedure worked out so I'm certain that I'm doing all the required steps in the correct sequence. I fumbled around on the weekend without having any info. and that was a total waste of time.

Basically all I need is confirmation of which colour cable connector goes on which cable. They are supposed to be different colours aren't they?

To all the others here who've contributed valuable advice-thanks.

B
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
B
Mike: Just wanted to say that I used your HT when I installed the upgraded shifter forks in my 95 transaxle.

Yes they fit!

Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RoadRunner_dup1, unisys12 

Link Copied to Clipboard