Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
I can get a set of 4 Bridgestone Potenza's in 205/65/15 or a set of cheaper tires in 195/65/15. These are gonna be going on the stock 15" Mystique wheels. My question is, which tires would be the better choice?

Also, tirerack has a $50 rebate on Potenza's which is another possibility...

Thoughts?? Suggestions??

1999 Mystique LS V6 Alpine CDA-9807, Rear deck sub, Opt. TB, K&N RU-3530/MAF adaptor, custom heatshield, FSVT 17's, SCT 4-program chip, Eibach's/ST200's, Hella Fogs...
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
The 205/65s are too big.

Why don't you tell us what you want to get out of your tires, and we'll tell you what's good? Include what kind of weather they need to handle, what kind of ride/handling you want, and how important price is.

-Philip Maynard '95 Contour [71 STS | Track Whore] '97 Miata [71 ES | Boulevard Pimp] 2006 autocross results
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
Alright, I want a decnt ride quality, the car is lowered on Eibachs and ST200 struts so performance is an issue to a certain extent. They will be used mostly in the winter but I would like a tire decent enough to take to the track as these wheels are the lighest of what I have. They weigh in at about 14lbs. a wheel. The FSVT 17's on the other hand... Much heavier...

Price is a very big consideration, im willing to spend a few extra bucks though if it gets me a better tire.

Thanks in advance.

1999 Mystique LS V6 Alpine CDA-9807, Rear deck sub, Opt. TB, K&N RU-3530/MAF adaptor, custom heatshield, FSVT 17's, SCT 4-program chip, Eibach's/ST200's, Hella Fogs...
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
Well, Falken Ziex ZE512s are a favorite. But, they aren't that good in the snow. I'd look for a real winter tire if you need to drive around in the snow much: Goodyear Ultra Grip Ice, Graspics, Blizzaks, etc.

-Philip Maynard '95 Contour [71 STS | Track Whore] '97 Miata [71 ES | Boulevard Pimp] 2006 autocross results
K
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
K
Especially since you live in NY, your better off getting designated snow tires for the winter season so you can focus on rain/peformance tires for the other seasons.

My ride(Cardomain link) : '95 Contour 16V Zetec DOHC, Teal , ATX Born on Sep. 4, 1995 86+ miles *LEDs mods are on their way!*
M
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
M
Originally posted by Kerry2Kool4U:
Especially since you live in NY, your better off getting designated snow tires for the winter season so you can focus on rain/peformance tires for the other seasons.

Exactly. I have Protenza G009s on my tour, and I used them for the whole season because I didn't have much money. I can tell you though, the difference between snow/all seasons is night and day, especially if you ever cross through the Syracuse snow belt...

[color:"green"]-Matt R

'99 Tropic Green LX, Zetec, ATX
B
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
B
I have the Potenza G009 on my car and I thought they worked miracles in snow. But keep in mind that I was comparing them to the crap Comp T/A's that I had on there before. But I never had a chance to go highway speeds on slush and all becuase I got them at the end of winter a couple months ago, and only went bogging through a yard with them. But they grip like no other tire I have ever used, especially in wet. It grips almost as hard in wet as it does in dry. no exaggeration. I have no idea how but they do. However, not sure if its because I really need new struts or cause of the tire, but but the back end comes right out when pushed to the limit. With the Comp T/A's, the back end would NEVER come out on pavement, wet or dry. the only time it ever came out was on snow when i threw the car back and forth about 4 times and then it would finally break free. But the the G009's, if pushed too hard in a corner no matter what the surface, they will let out a loud squeal and then the back end will come right out. Now, its very predictable when its gonna come and when it does its really easy to put it back, even if you arn't expecting it. Just keep that in mind. Oh btw, anoyone know why these tires are so different? and if it makes a difference, the size is 225-50 R16 on E1's, what I'm running right now.

95 LX-with a mind of its own 24v DOHC SVT exhaust and K&N=all thats worth modding Go Fighting Sioux!!!
M
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
M
Originally posted by Teenage Contour:
I have the Potenza G009 on my car and I thought they worked miracles in snow. But keep in mind that I was comparing them to the crap Comp T/A's that I had on there before. But I never had a chance to go highway speeds on slush and all becuase I got them at the end of winter a couple months ago, and only went bogging through a yard with them. But they grip like no other tire I have ever used, especially in wet. It grips almost as hard in wet as it does in dry. no exaggeration. I have no idea how but they do. However, not sure if its because I really need new struts or cause of the tire, but but the back end comes right out when pushed to the limit. With the Comp T/A's, the back end would NEVER come out on pavement, wet or dry. the only time it ever came out was on snow when i threw the car back and forth about 4 times and then it would finally break free. But the the G009's, if pushed too hard in a corner no matter what the surface, they will let out a loud squeal and then the back end will come right out. Now, its very predictable when its gonna come and when it does its really easy to put it back, even if you arn't expecting it. Just keep that in mind. Oh btw, anoyone know why these tires are so different? and if it makes a difference, the size is 225-50 R16 on E1's, what I'm running right now.

I agree, they are awesome in snow, at least compared to the tires I used to have. There is still a big difference in snow traction, such as in turns, with real snows, as well as trying to get started on slippery hills.

[color:"green"]-Matt R

'99 Tropic Green LX, Zetec, ATX

Moderated by  1314_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard