Next Thread
Print Thread
#1563933 05/03/06 10:13 PM
H
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
H
i know that i've come across sites for shops that do custom wheel refinishing and even supposedly can change the offset. i believe i've found the perfect wheel in 18x7.5 but the problem is the offset is 35. i most likely will have to roll my fenders. still concerned about rubbing. the only way i can think of to raise the offset is to file away the back of the wheel where it mounts onto the hub. now i can do it by hand but obviously would be way uneven. would any of u trust a shop to change the offset (hopefully they do it with a proper machine of some sort). it doesnt seem like it would weaken the wheel. the manufacturere does the exact thing when they offer the same size wheel in several offsets. its certainly easier to remove material to increase the offset than it is to add material to the wheel to decrease the offset (of course a spacer does the latter easily). would this seem like a bad idea

there r alot of very similar wheels but i'm so picky i find things wrong with them. it will be cheaper for me to settle on a close enough wheel but thats just not me. the funny thing is the 17inch version is 17x7 40et. i already have this size for my current wheel.

Hugo AIM:omegazodiac 95 gl & 99 contour svt #1750/2760 my profile pics stuff for sale
S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
Must be millled on a CNC or forget about it.

2000 SVT Turbo 295hp/269ftlb@12psi #1 for Bendix Brakes Kits! Knuckles rebuilt w/new bearings $55 AUSSIE ENDLINKS $70 Gutted pre-cats $80/set A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine!
H
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
H
thanks stazi. i found the site for the wheel shop i was referring to and it says they have a custom machine shop. does that mean i can find any local machine shop to do the job? i'd be nervous to take the job to a shop that isnt experienced working on wheels. would any skilled reputable machine shop be able to do the job. the center bore would likely have to be redone if they mill away into the wheel's original bore

Hugo AIM:omegazodiac 95 gl & 99 contour svt #1750/2760 my profile pics stuff for sale
W
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
W
Many machine shops refuse to work on wheels. If you find one that does, post about it. Another place to ask would be on sccaforums.com .

Whirling dervish of FFOG.
H
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
H
theres a wheel place in arizona but i'd prefer to avoid shipping wheels across country so i was trying for a local place. i might just suck it up and get the 17" version instead. if i get a daily driver then i can take a chance to mess with the 18" one for the svt when it becomes a project car

Moderated by  1314_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard