Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
M
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
M
Technically, anything modified from stock won't pass. I think in reality it prevents only things like straight pipes and REALLY loud rice fart cans. I have never seen a shop do a sound test or emissions metering unless it was boderline. They can loose thier license if they pass something that shouldn't.

[color:"green"]-Matt R

'99 Tropic Green LX, Zetec, ATX
G
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
G
last year I passed with my Borla and a black tap over the CEL light...and this was a dealership too btw

J
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
J
In CT stations are supposed to look for a cat, no obvious holes in the piping, and make sure that the CEL isn't illuminated in their preiliminary. There is nothing in the procedure that says to look for something less than obvious obscuring the CEL.

I feel sorry for the people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, thats the best they're going to feel all day - former President Lyndon B. Johnson
S
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
S
Originally posted by Goonz SVT:
last year I passed with my Borla and a black tap over the CEL light...and this was a dealership too btw

Must have been your year for saftey test only. The testing computer would have picked that cel up right away once they plugged into the ecu. Aslo, most of the time if your up for safety only, that is all they are concerned about and don't bother with the other stuff.

"we aren't punished for our sins, but by them" 2000 se sport tropic green/gray leather. V6,svt body kit and E1 wheels/Avon tech m500 rubber, many mods. 2003 Eddie Bauer Explorer V8 2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S 1996 Mercury Sable
G
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
G
Originally posted by skunk:
Originally posted by Goonz SVT:

Must have been your year for saftey test only. The testing computer would have picked that cel up right away once they plugged into the ecu. Aslo, most of the time if your up for safety only, that is all they are concerned about and don't bother with the other stuff.

LOL Im soo screwed this year

S
Snipey Offline OP
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
S
So are you saying i could maybe get away without getting a cat? i was planning on getting a trubenz system and a cat seperate from somewhere. i will probably still plan on gettin the cat too, maybe a high-flow cat..unless i find out it makes no difference.

1 more question..the aluminized steel is a good $150 cheaper than the stainless system i was looking at. Does stainless really make that much of a difference? if stainless is just mostly for looks, and aluminized will last me nearly as long, i might as well go for the cheaper option.

thanks for all the input guys

.Snipey

- 98 SVT #5999 -. -CDA-7894 w/ ipod interface -Knauberized, Trubendz 2.5/highflow cat
M
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
M
Go with the stainless steel. I made the mistake of buying ceramic coated steel headers and as soon as the car started the ceramic fell off and the began rusting immediately. I will never get anything exhaust related that isn't at least stainless steel.

Current Car: 2005 Lava Orange Mazdaspeed Miata 2004 Graphite Dodge Stratus Old cars: 2003 Garnet Mica Miata/1998 T-Red SVT Contour
S
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
S
stainless, stainless, stainless. you will save $150 but you will replace the cheaper system within 2yrs or sooner. stainless is cheaper in the end. The high flow cat makes a difference go for it.

"we aren't punished for our sins, but by them" 2000 se sport tropic green/gray leather. V6,svt body kit and E1 wheels/Avon tech m500 rubber, many mods. 2003 Eddie Bauer Explorer V8 2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S 1996 Mercury Sable
J
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
J
You live in MA, where they use more salt on the roads there than anywhere else. Salt is the most corrosive thing in the world to steel.

If you buy aluminized in the first winter the aluminization will degrade away and rust spots will start to appear, by the second winter the rust will have covered a good portion of the parts. After the end of the second winter you might see the steel exfoliating (rust peices that flake off) and probably after the third winter you'll spring the first leak due to a rust hole. If you go with stainless it will last longer than you own the car.

I feel sorry for the people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, thats the best they're going to feel all day - former President Lyndon B. Johnson
E
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
E
as for the check engine light during mass tessing...
they check for the light when they turn the keyon to make sure the bulb isnt blown out.
if you have a CEL during the test you are supposed to fail instantly.
unless...
it is an insignificant code.
that is determined by the machine.
when i tested my svt last year the computer pulled 2 codes during the test (CEL did not iluminate) and the car still passed.
they were codes for stuff like catalyst not warmed up.
the test machine knows that that means the car wasnt warm enough.
but if yo uhave an existign code like a 420 you will fail.

NY State Trooper: So what makes your car so special to have SVT all over it? Me: Er...It was made by Fords SPECIAL Vehicle Team?
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  baco99, frenchblueC2_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard