Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
S
Snipey Offline OP
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
S
So i'm not pricing out exhaust sets and what-not... Dont want to go ahead and buy a $500+ system only to find out that the tips are too big to pass. The guy at the inspection place told me anything aftermarket bigger than stock wont pass... I know theres at least a few of you on here with bigger than stock so im wondering how you get by each year.
My current tips are massive as some of you know, and have never had any trouble for it, but this inspection place is a friend of a friend and theyre telling me its no good.
I plan on going smaller than what i have anyway (maybe some trubenz system, looks like 3" max)
So how do you pass emissions with your aftermarket exhausts?
feel free to PM me if its a secret

thanks in advance.

.Snipey

- 98 SVT #5999 -. -CDA-7894 w/ ipod interface -Knauberized, Trubendz 2.5/highflow cat
M
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
M
It isn't really the size of the tips, it's the amount of sound they put out. And before anyone rices him out... the car came like that when he got it. I remember those things, it is big enough to put your freaking head in.

[color:"green"]-Matt R

'99 Tropic Green LX, Zetec, ATX
C
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
Mine passed with no problm but I'm CT. You Mass people suck at everything.

Tony 1998 SVT Contour (B/MB) #542 3L 1998 SVT Contour (SF/MB) #1266 parts car 2000 SVT Contour (SF/MB) #1533 3L swap to begin!
H
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
H
so they do a sound test too? if u like the system try putting in a center resonator if its missing or end mufflers with resonated tips?

Hugo AIM:omegazodiac 95 gl & 99 contour svt #1750/2760 my profile pics stuff for sale
S
Snipey Offline OP
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
S
nah i have a pretty bad leak ive located to be at the cat, so im going to be getting cat-back + a new cat, but the trubenz system ive changed my attention to is 3". the guy said it isnt supposed to be louder than stock..and im sure almost every aftermarket setup is(although im not sure how he would know how loud stock is? )
i just didnt want to get this installed only to find out im going to need to get stock tips to pass.. not like im made of money
i figure if all else fails i can take it to the place that passed me last year, although its a little out of the way.

Thanks matt for the rice-shield hoping to finally trash those stupid tips

.Snipey

- 98 SVT #5999 -. -CDA-7894 w/ ipod interface -Knauberized, Trubendz 2.5/highflow cat
M
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
M
Seems like to much work for the test site. It's too subjective. I can't imagine they have a factory decible reading for every car ever made, nor do I think they have something that measures the sound at the test site. I can see them questioning the volume if it is noticibly louder than stock and looks noticibly different from stock.

When I changed the downpipe on my Mazdaspeed the sound got deeper and only slightly louder. Cat back it is all stock. And for my car, Mazdaspeed makes an aftermarket exhaust for it that can be instaled by the dealer.

Current Car: 2005 Lava Orange Mazdaspeed Miata 2004 Graphite Dodge Stratus Old cars: 2003 Garnet Mica Miata/1998 T-Red SVT Contour
E
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
E
tecnically as long as you have the paper work from the manutfacturer that says it is 50 state legal, then they have to pass it.
but then again they have the right to refuse to inspect it.
and they are supposed to do a preliminary walk around and and if anything sticks out as not going to pass they are supposed to tell you before they pull it in so you can have it fixed before.

some of the dudes can be dinks, the guy i brought my SVT to said that it shouldn't pass because the exhaust was too loud.
i was like doode..its factory!
him:well, its still loud!
me:blame ford!
hehe

size of the tips should not matter

NY State Trooper: So what makes your car so special to have SVT all over it? Me: Er...It was made by Fords SPECIAL Vehicle Team?
S
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
S
One thing i've started to notice in mass is each station makes their own rules. They aren't supposed too but they prey on the fact that most people don't know all the rules.

If the station owner for example has a thing against fart cans he will try and pull his crap. It works the other way also some will check tint some won't. I had a garage give me crap about my car being loud. I laughed at him, throaty tone yeah loud not. I told him he better know what he is talking about. he looked at me funny. I said you can't tell people [censored] if you don't have the proof, so if you fail me I'm going to the state and file a complaint. I got my sticker , but it still doesn't change the fact that these asses are out there .

If you have a 50 state legal system, tell them to kiss it. They can get you for being too loud though, they just have to proove it.

Just be lucky we don't have registery cops anymore, yep they had white cruisers and would bust your ass. they would do stings in areas we would cruise alot like forest park. They would open the hood, look under the car looking for test pipes, converter removel, etc. Mass dissolved them into the state police. anyone remember those days?

"we aren't punished for our sins, but by them" 2000 se sport tropic green/gray leather. V6,svt body kit and E1 wheels/Avon tech m500 rubber, many mods. 2003 Eddie Bauer Explorer V8 2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S 1996 Mercury Sable
E
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
E
yup, i remember them doodes.

the inspection stations are now the ones who are supposed to look for cats and stuff.
if they dont see them its an instant fail.
as for the noise thing, the car isnt supposed to be louder than factory. but like you said, they have no way of proving this.

NY State Trooper: So what makes your car so special to have SVT all over it? Me: Er...It was made by Fords SPECIAL Vehicle Team?
S
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
S
If you really want too tick the guy off say " whats loud? what is the factory sound level? do you know, do you know all the factory sound levels, do you have a chart, a meter.

Really they would be failling alot of throaty mustangs. Figure one of the biggest mods next to tires/rims is an after market exhaust. if you put on a 50 state legal system, then it is just that, legal. sema does alot of work to get this stuff done, but it's still up to the little guy to fight the man. Find another station.

I will say this though. Those huge fart cans you have snipey aint helping you. get a well designed cat back and don't worry about it. Like Elky say's "fugg'em"

"we aren't punished for our sins, but by them" 2000 se sport tropic green/gray leather. V6,svt body kit and E1 wheels/Avon tech m500 rubber, many mods. 2003 Eddie Bauer Explorer V8 2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S 1996 Mercury Sable
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  baco99, frenchblueC2_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard