Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Reebs Offline OP
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
R
Hey guys,

I have some random clutch questions that I couldn't find when searching. I am having Stazi replace the clutch on my SVT that I am picking up this week! First of all, everyone seems to say that the spec stage 1 hold up great, even with the power of a 3L. My friend has a 240sx with mild mods (turbo in 1 week! ) and he has the spec stage 3. What I like about that clutch is even with small amount of power you can still get a "Sqauk" or "screech" when shifting from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd. I love that! But I don't like how his clutch has so much chatter and vibration when engaging into 1st (maybe because the flywheel hadn't been resurfaced?). It could be just the downside of a spec 3 ?!?

I was looking to get the spec 1 from spmotorsports, but then I saw this in the classifieds.

Spec Stage 3 for only $330 shipped!

I am thinking about jumping on it... but if you can still get a "squak" when shifting from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd in a spec 1... then I will stick with that. Also, I heard the oem clutch really is quite good, and I was wondering how much one of those run? I should just contact Bill J.!

Sorry that this is so long... and thanks again!

Jeff

For Sale - 96 Tour Sport 2.5L MTX with SVT Exhaust, pre 98 trunklid with newer Contour Sport spoiler instead of lip spoiler, newer Contour sport rims. Newer paint job. Brand new floor mats. Rust Free! PM me for details and pics.
M
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
M
Man, I could "chirp" on my 1-2 shift with my stock 2.5L and stock clutch, non-SVT mind you. You need to learn to drive stick!

Seriously though, the higher stage you go, the more harsh it will be on the street. You'll get your chirps at a price.

I'm debating this right now and will have to make a decision on what stage to get within the next day.

Black 1998.5 3L Oval Port Full HMS Transmission Lots of other stuff Ressurected 06/14/06
R
Reebs Offline OP
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
R
Originally posted by muntus:
Man, I could "chirp" on my 1-2 shift with my stock 2.5L and stock clutch, non-SVT mind you. You need to learn to drive stick!

I have only had my 2.5L non svt for 3 months and I have babied it! I have never taken it over 4000 rpms! I love my friends spec 3 because it is so easy to "chirp." I am sure if your car can do it on a stock clutch... mine can too!

For Sale - 96 Tour Sport 2.5L MTX with SVT Exhaust, pre 98 trunklid with newer Contour Sport spoiler instead of lip spoiler, newer Contour sport rims. Newer paint job. Brand new floor mats. Rust Free! PM me for details and pics.
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Stage I. 'Nuff said.

Ryan Trollin!
T
I have no life
I have no life
T
I have a Spec 1 in my 3L and a UR stage 1 full face Kevlar in my SVT. I think the stage 3 Spec is Kevlar. Loudest material ever! Has to warm up so it doesn't moan leaving from a stop. Yea real cool. People are looking at you like you have a POS. It does grab like a mofo though. Not my cup of tea but it's how I got the car. Spec Stage 1 baby.

-'96 SE MTX 3L -'98 SVT 1,173 of 6,535 -'05 Mazda 6s, loaded, g/f's ride -Need a 96-00 manual on CD? PM or email me
R
Reebs Offline OP
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
R
Thanks guys... Spec Stage 1 it is, although I hate to pass up the spec stage 3 shipped for less than the spec stage 1 before shipping! Oh well!

A
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
A
Originally posted by JReebs96sport:
Thanks guys... Spec Stage 1 it is, although I hate to pass up the spec stage 3 shipped for less than the spec stage 1 before shipping! Oh well!

dont worry about it, You will NEVER need a Spec Stage 3.... its really just to brag about... If this car is your daily driver, you will hate it. The Spec Stage one drives like a stock clutch, it might be a little stiffer, and it still grabs really nicely.

98 Corolla LE 1.8L DOHC 1ZZFE TEIN H.Tech Springs Tokico HP series Struts Short ram air intake Tsudo Axel Back Exhaust ... if a jelly fish stung me.. would you pee on the wound?
M
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
M
Why don't you PM SVTCuervo? Last quote was Stage 1 = $272.

Black 1998.5 3L Oval Port Full HMS Transmission Lots of other stuff Ressurected 06/14/06
R
Reebs Offline OP
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
R
Originally posted by muntus:
Why don't you PM SVTCuervo? Last quote was Stage 1 = $272.

A stage 1 "Spec" clutch?? or just some generic stage 1? I will do that though! Thanks!!!

J
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
J
My uncle has a Spec Stage 3 in his 480rwhp Z06. The Stage 3 in any car is for serious power. For your application its overkill. I'm looking at a Spec Stage 1 myself. I can chirp the tires easily with my stock clutch.

Justin 1999 Ford SVT Contour (T-Red) Cardomain site
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RoadRunner_dup1, unisys12 

Link Copied to Clipboard