Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
S
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
S
From what I have read one of the best ways to keep a continuous power supply to the stereo is to run a new wire from the alternator to the battery, running it next to the existing wire.
I jacked up the car and started looking at where to route the wire and how in the hell to get to the back of the alternator, and it looks like there is a fuse between the battery and the alternator. Does anyone know if there is one? And if there is, do I need to put a fuse in the new wire that I run to the battery? Thanks.

1998 SVT. Silver Frost. #4076 of 6535. SOLD! http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2143175
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
"From what I have read one of the best ways to keep a continuous power supply to the stereo"
Why do you want to do this? For continuous power, the wiring needs to go from the battery to the stereo and yes, you do need a fuse. It might be better to run the wire from the cigar lighter (as it is an "always hot" circuit).

"I jacked up the car and started looking at where to route the wire and how in the hell to get to the back of the alternator, and it looks like there is a fuse between the battery and the alternator. Does anyone know if there is one?"
The megafuse is under the coil pack. And this is the fuse for the wiring from the alternator to the battery.

Location of Megafuse (maxifuse).

http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=trouble&Number=1098148&Forum=trouble&Words=here%20sign&Match=And&Searchpage=3&Limit=25&Old=1year&Main=1095791&Search=true#Post1098148

Last edited by Tony2005; 04/30/06 02:55 AM.

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
H
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
H
yes theres a mega fuse about under the coil pack at the back of the engine. running a thicker gauge alongside will help. i've seen most people run it without an inline fuse but i'm not sure if running an inline fuse on the new thicker wire makes a difference. i'm still trying to get an answer for that. i think i will add an inline fuse when i run 4 gauge from the alt to the batt. now what size fuse is the question. the mega fuse i think someone said is 175. should the "paralled" wire be the same 175?

Hugo AIM:omegazodiac 95 gl & 99 contour svt #1750/2760 my profile pics stuff for sale
S
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
S
Originally posted by Tony2005:
"From what I have read one of the best ways to keep a continuous power supply to the stereo"
Why do you want to do this? For continuous power, the wiring needs to go from the battery to the stereo and yes, you do need a fuse. It might be better to run the wire from the cigar lighter (as it is an "always hot" circuit).

Sorry I didn't clarify this in my initial post, I have run a KnuKonceptz 4ga wire from the battery to the amps, and it is fused. Also have run a 4ga ground wire from the batt to the block, and from the batt to the chassis, replacing all of the factory ground wires. Just want to finish up with a 4ga wire from the alternator to the battery.

1998 SVT. Silver Frost. #4076 of 6535. SOLD! http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2143175
H
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
H
if u ran ground from batt to block did u run the block to chassis ground too? batt to chassis i think would still be the same as the batt to block if u didnt run the block to chassis too?

Hugo AIM:omegazodiac 95 gl & 99 contour svt #1750/2760 my profile pics stuff for sale
S
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
S
Originally posted by hmouta:
yes theres a mega fuse about under the coil pack at the back of the engine. running a thicker gauge alongside will help. i've seen most people run it without an inline fuse but i'm not sure if running an inline fuse on the new thicker wire makes a difference. i'm still trying to get an answer for that. i think i will add an inline fuse when i run 4 gauge from the alt to the batt. now what size fuse is the question. the mega fuse i think someone said is 175. should the "paralled" wire be the same 175?

That is a big fuse. Looking on Knukonceptz web site the biggest AGU fuse they sell is an 80 amp. You can get the ANL fuses in a lot bigger amp rating but the fuse holder for the ANL fuses is HUGE. DO you think the 80 amp fuse would be sufficient.

S
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
S
if u ran ground from batt to block did u run the block to chassis ground too? batt to chassis i think would still be the same as the batt to block if u didnt run the block to chassis too?

Basically I just replaced the stock ground wires. There was one to the block, and a smaller one that grounds to the chassis under the battery. I replaced them both with KnuKoncepts 4ga ground wire.

K
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
K
The ALT is 130A so not an 80A fuse will not work. We have a new Mini-ANL fuse holder in production (see the KOL-AK4 amp kit) They now include this holder and it will work with 4 gauge and handle up to 150A.

Most factory cables from the ALT have either a fuse or fusable link

Previous Owner of 00 SVT Contour #1077/2150 95 Contour SE '01 3L
H
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
H
i believe there's also a ground from the top of the tranny to the chassis. try to replace that one too. u would definitely have to use some type of anl fuse to get the higher ratings. agu dont go that high

S
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
S
i believe there's also a ground from the top of the tranny to the chassis. try to replace that one too. u would definitely have to use some type of anl fuse to get the higher ratings. agu dont go that high

The ground that I was referring to as the block is actually the one that goes to the top of the tranny.

Moderated by  dnewma04_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard