Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Z
ziddey Offline OP
OP Offline
Z
This post is for a friend with a 98 contour. ~150k miles. Has been having trouble lately slipping out of gear, including reverse. Fluid recently flushed and is still red and not burnt to the best of knowledge. Just today, it pretty much died. Reverse, drive, all pretty much won't engage at all. Currently in a laundromat parking lot. With car off, fluid reads beyond high in dipstick. On starting car, still reading high (level terrain). Was normal levels earlier today before it died.

Any ideas? Seek junkyard for pulled tranny? How much estimate for labor for garage mechanic to replace?

Also, on car-part.com, it lists several different specs for the 2.0 AT for the 98 year. Are they the same tranny and any will pair up or will need specific one?

Thanks for any input!

This is in Ithaca, NY if anyone can help locally

edit: Also, before it completely stopped engaging, the car made a whining sound on higher revs >2k rpm that sounded almost like an alternator going out but it was coming from the tranny area.

Last edited by ziddey; 04/28/06 10:29 PM.
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
Sounds like the fluid drained out of your torque converter and thats why the fluid was very high. Also, when you check the fluid the car should be running and at operating tempature.

Z
ziddey Offline OP
OP Offline
Z
Right, I understand that. A friend mentioned that if you check it when it's off, it should read high, but when you turn the car on, it should go down to normal since the tranny pump is drawing in fluid but that if it stays the same level that it means it's not pulling it in, which is what it looks like.

New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
It also sounds like the fluid pump doesnt work anymore and the trans burned up in the process. I would call some local trans shop (not ammoco or cottmans) to see how much it would cost to get that rebuilt. If you get one from a junkyard, it most likely will happen again.

Z
ziddey Offline OP
OP Offline
Z
Hmm, how easy would the tranny pump be to replace? Maybe I'd give that a shot first and see if there's any life left to the tranny, although I doubt it given the way it's behaving now. But I guess it's a start.

P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Replacement of the pump means the tranny has to be pulled.

Really, you're looking at a rebuild.

Steve

98 Contour SE Sport 2.5 Duratec ATX The wifey's car 89 Taurus SHO - 246K miles 94 SHO ATX - 190K 1997 F-150 5.4L ATX - The Workhorse 150K. ANY THREAD WITH "OMG" or "WTF" ETC IN THE TITLE WILL BE IGNORED!
B
CEG'er
CEG'er
B
I agree. If fluid does not drop when car is running, pump is shot or you had pump bushing/gasket blowout. It is rebuild time.

Bob

An ounce of prevention provides a pound of cure!
Z
ziddey Offline OP
OP Offline
Z
[censored]

Z
ziddey Offline OP
OP Offline
Z
[censored] [censored] [censored] [censored] [censored] [censored] [censored] [censored] [censored] [censored] [censored]

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard