Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
P
I bought a 95 Contour GL a few weeks ago.. the MPG is really pissing me off. My other car is a 5 speed mazda (92 protege), gets great mileage.. maybe I'm just used to that.

On a full tank, I'll get a max of around 210 miles per tank.

Engine sounds normal, haven't heard anything from the brakes..

The check engine light has come on twice, both times I was going to stop and read the code but as soon as I slowed down, it went off.

The car always runs about 3/4th the way between the center of the temp. guage and the red area.. so I'm not sure on that, maybe just a thermostat? Running 50/50 coolant/antifreeze and I'm not leaking any.

Last edited by protegechris; 04/28/06 09:08 PM.
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Welcome .

"I bought a 95 Contour GL a few weeks ago"
Auto or manual tranny?

How many miles on the engine?

V6 Duratec or I4 Zetec?

"On a full tank, I'll get a max of around 210 miles per tank."
You need to base on how many miles to the gallon. The fuel gauge is notoriously inaccurate for estimating mileage. Fill up, record the number of miles driven until time to fill up again, then fill up and divide mileage by number of gallons and post the miles per gallon.

"The check engine light has come on twice, both times I was going to stop and read the code but as soon as I slowed down, it went off."
You can still scan for an intermittent code.

"The car always runs about 3/4th the way between the center of the temp. guage and the red area.. so I'm not sure on that, maybe just a thermostat?"
Maybe, but could also be normal.

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
P
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
P
Automatic, I4, 117,000 miles

Using that number (225 was total distance today, I actually drove it until it died from having no gas :P).. and assuming it has a 13 gallon tank (I don't pay attention, sadly :P).. that comes out to 17.3mpg.

T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by protegechris:
Automatic, I4, 117,000 miles

Using that number (225 was total distance today, I actually drove it until it died from having no gas :P).. and assuming it has a 13 gallon tank (I don't pay attention, sadly :P).. that comes out to 17.3mpg.

Can't assume how much tank can hold. Need to do the fill up and calculations.

In addition, automatics get lower mileage than manual. You should be looking at 20 or so mpg in city driving and 26 or so for highway (I get 18 for city and 24 for highway for my V6 auto). Zetec I4 auto owners will probably be able to give a better estimate.

Is your Check Engine light on? Mileage goes down a lot when that is on. If the light is on, you need to scan (free service at Autozone or Advance Auto) and post the codes. Or you can scan it yourself since it is a 95 (OBD-I).

P
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
P
The light is on almost constantly now (not just heat related I suppose), and autozone won't scan it because they say they'll only do 96+ (obd-2 i guess)

How do I pull the code manually? Used a paper clip on my old mazda.

P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Yep, paperclip will do it.

I think the directions are off the Main Site link.

Steve

98 Contour SE Sport 2.5 Duratec ATX The wifey's car 89 Taurus SHO - 246K miles 94 SHO ATX - 190K 1997 F-150 5.4L ATX - The Workhorse 150K. ANY THREAD WITH "OMG" or "WTF" ETC IN THE TITLE WILL BE IGNORED!
P
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
P
http://www.thorssell.net/hbook/eectest.html

No idea on that? O_O That's the only link I was finding for checking it.. and says I need a voltmeter..

http://www.contour.org/FAQ/FAQ.php?s=probs&displayid=10

Edit: I found more instructions here:
http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=trouble&Number=441544&fpart=&PHPSESSID=

Unfortunately, I have no documentation and no experience pulling codes with a ford... where's the self test connector?

Last edited by protegechris; 08/03/06 07:49 PM.
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Forget about the test light or voltmeter. The CEL will flash the codes when you put the paperclip in the "socket" as a jumper. Or just buy a Actron OBD-I code reader for $35. Open the hood and you should see the "socket" near the driver side strut tower.

T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
I had a Contour like that... was a 95 purple contour GL too. Basically the running hot part, is just the sending unit, check engine might be EGR related, all I can think of...

Former owner of a 1995 Ford Contour GL w/ 2.0L ATX Proud owner of a 2005 Ford Taurus SE 3.0L V6 Vulcan --Looking for Commodore stuff (Drives, Units, Amiga, games, etc)If anyone has any of this laying around and wants it gone, lemme know --
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by Tony2005:
Forget about the test light or voltmeter. The CEL will flash the codes when you put the paperclip in the "socket" as a jumper. Or just buy a Actron OBD-I code reader for $35. Open the hood and you should see the "socket" near the driver side strut tower.

If you haven't found the OBD I connector, I found this picture while reading some old threads.
Originally posted by R_G:
Originally posted by ssmumich00:
stupid question but where's the obd connector on the car, I just got my kit and there weren't any directions in the box. . .

From what I gather it's near the driver's side front strut?

Last edited by Tony2005; 08/05/06 02:00 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard