Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
A
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
A
There are lot's of threads on different set up's with plenty of opinions on pro's and cons. But has anyone got quantifiable data as to performance advantages/disadvantages, specifically stock SVT V's the BAT kit? Something like;

With the stock SVT suspension my average was third in class and mid 30's on PAX, but after installing the BAT kit I was usually 1st or 2nd in class and in the low 20's for PAX

Or

While my best times didn't tend to improve much with the BAT kit, I was still 3rd or 4th in class I found I was more consistent. My best to worst runs are now only a couple of 10th's different where before they were 1.5sec's different. I attribute this to better consistency in transitions

The reason I ask is I've got a (new to me) 00 SVTC with 110K miles on it. I'm about to spring for new SVT strut's all round, new LCA's, probably new sta bar end links and I'm on the fence about upper strut mounts. The BAT kit looks mighty tempting though. But past experience says that after market (performance) shocks tend to ride very poorly on SE Michigan roads. Also they tend to add relatively little in ultimate Autocross performance. Case in point Fox/SN95 Mustangs. Despite being saddled (pun intended) with terrible stock suspension Top level FS to ESP times are not that far off, despite being able to re-engineer the suspension thoroughly. OT/DE's is a different matter in lap times, but no one has ever won a DE event.

Thanks

T
I have no life
I have no life
T
Yes there are I'm sure. Search the AutoX area. Should be some. I know my times improved with BAT springs & ST200 stuts. Not as good as the full kit but still nice for the price. The feel of the car with the kit is worth the price alone. Even if my times didn't drop I wouldn't car. Car is so much more stable.

-'96 SE MTX 3L -'98 SVT 1,173 of 6,535 -'05 Mazda 6s, loaded, g/f's ride -Need a 96-00 manual on CD? PM or email me
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
I don't think you'll find any documentation.

You will, however, be quicker. The stiffer springs will help keep some sort of contact patch on the outside front, and the valving/springs will help you transition. It probably won't be huge, since the BAT kit is a mild stiffening, but it will be measureable.

Why would you want to modify the car? If you're concerned about class placement, the BAT kit isn't going to get you anywhere near competitive, and will boot you out of GS if you're there now. If you just want something more fun to autocross, and your driving is pretty solid... Well, that's a whole 'nother can of worms.

-Philip Maynard '95 Contour [71 STS | Track Whore] '97 Miata [71 ES | Boulevard Pimp] 2006 autocross results
A
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
A
Sorry for the delay in responding.

Auto-X fil, I'm not concerned about classing, well SCCA classing anyway. My car is long gone from stock before I bought it. It had Sho-shop catless Y pipe, Borla cat back, subframe connectors and a CAI. If I was SCCA I would already be in Street Mod due to the subframe connectors. In South East Mi I run a few DCSCC events each year, DCSCC run a street mod type class with street tires and spilt based off street prepared type groupings. The purpose for the car is 90% street use plus a few autocrosses and open track days for fun. As a driver I'm competent. I used to autocross allot, even went to Nationals once. I've open tracked and raced IT (Fiesta) and Showroom stock (ZX2) But then I got married, had kids and started paying tuition and thinking about retirement. Hence spending large quantities of money on a car are now way low on my priority list.

The reason I want to do anything to the SVTC is because I have to. I just bought the car with 110K mile on it to replace my totaled Focus. The stock suspension is plain worn out, but the car was so ludicrously cheap ($3500) that I couldn't pass it up. I need to replace the struts, LCA's end links etc. The question is how much to do. If the BAT kit didn't lower the car I would actually be more inclined to get it. The SVTC is one of the few recent Ford products that doesn't look like a 4x4 from the factory, that plus SE Mi roads have potholes that can hide a Hummer, ride height and comfort are important, but so is performance.

Thanks

Adrian

T
I have no life
I have no life
T
Originally posted by Adrian Thompson:
The SVTC is one of the few recent Ford products that doesn't look like a 4x4 from the factory,

What?!

-'96 SE MTX 3L -'98 SVT 1,173 of 6,535 -'05 Mazda 6s, loaded, g/f's ride -Need a 96-00 manual on CD? PM or email me
T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
If the BAT kit didn't lower the car I would actually be more inclined to get it.

BAT kit only drops 1" and cargo characteristics are affected zero. My Mystique actually looks stock with the BAT kit, and the drop is not noticable unless it's next to another 'tour and you're looking for the difference.

Must be that jumbly-wumbly thing happening again.
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
There are lot's of threads on different set up's with plenty of opinions on pro's and cons. But has anyone got quantifiable data as to performance advantages/disadvantages, specifically stock SVT V's the BAT kit? Something like;

With the stock SVT suspension my average was third in class and mid 30's on PAX, but after installing the BAT kit I was usually 1st or 2nd in class and in the low 20's for PAX

Or

While my best times didn't tend to improve much with the BAT kit, I was still 3rd or 4th in class I found I was more consistent. My best to worst runs are now only a couple of 10th's different where before they were 1.5sec's different. I attribute this to better consistency in transitions

The reason I ask is I've got a (new to me) 00 SVTC with 110K miles on it. I'm about to spring for new SVT strut's all round, new LCA's, probably new sta bar end links and I'm on the fence about upper strut mounts. The BAT kit looks mighty tempting though. But past experience says that after market (performance) shocks tend to ride very poorly on SE Michigan roads. Also they tend to add relatively little in ultimate Autocross performance. Case in point Fox/SN95 Mustangs. Despite being saddled (pun intended) with terrible stock suspension Top level FS to ESP times are not that far off, despite being able to re-engineer the suspension thoroughly. OT/DE's is a different matter in lap times, but no one has ever won a DE event.

Thanks

I doubt anyone has what you are looking for, because I don't know anyone who can compare new SVT struts with new aftermarket struts of any kind.

Everybody replaces their worn-out suspension (including me) and then they notice a huge difference, regardless of what they put on there.

I will say, though, that the SVT suspension is very good out of the box. My local autocross hero drives an SVT in STS. He consistently was in the top 2, and won often, on stock suspension. Biggest problem is nose dive under hard braking. Now he has, I think, some kind of Koni kit and an Aussie bar. I'm not sure if he got faster, because some of the guys he used to spar with aren't showing up these days. (I think they may have moved--not that they "gave up" or anything.) I'm sure he enjoys the car more, now, though.

Function before fashion. '96 Contour SE "Toss the Contour into a corner, and it's as easy to catch as a softball thrown by a preschooler." -Edmunds, 1998
C
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
No suspension does well on SE MI roads. Blah.

99 Black SVT -3L Hybrid w/.5mm overbore, Spec clutch/flywheel, MSDS, BAT intake, K&N open, 17'Konig Tantrums, DMD, Opt. TB & Y, Powerslots, Bassani w/ magnaflow res. 96 SE MTX- "The War Wagon" "I'm in love with my car..." -Queen
T
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
T
If your talking about the sport springs,on an SVT the front drops closer to 1.5".At the corner of the bumper my car is about 4.5",5" from the ground.If you have a heavy load in the rear my 225's will rub.

2000 Silver SVT

Moderated by  Andy W._dup1, Auto-X Fil 

Link Copied to Clipboard