Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Snipey Offline OP
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
S
heres the picture of the filter that K&N advises a 98 svt to get...also the same one that my mom got me for my birthday yesterday

now i may just be stupid, but i dont think there is any way im getting this to connect up where the old one was.

the part number is E-0998.

there could be something simple i am missing and would love to find it out, or maybe the rare occurance that they suggested the wrong one.
any advice would be great
thanks in advance

.Snipey

- 98 SVT #5999 -. -CDA-7894 w/ ipod interface -Knauberized, Trubendz 2.5/highflow cat
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
that is the drop in stock replacment filter for the SVT

- 95 Mystique LS - Zetec/5spd - 99 Contour SeVT Sport - Duratec/5spd Official NE-CEG Contour/Mustang Family
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
What's the confusion? Don't you have the stock airbox?

Function before fashion. '96 Contour SE "Toss the Contour into a corner, and it's as easy to catch as a softball thrown by a preschooler." -Edmunds, 1998
S
Snipey Offline OP
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
S
hmm airbox huh? maybe im thinking about the wrong spot... right behind the battery is what i was looking at...

i dont have any type of enclosing there, just an air filter
ill upload a pic and edit it in, 1 sec....

.Snipey

Here she is

the throttle body opening is probably roughly 3" but the K&N's rubber part to connect is 6" or more
im most likely just being dumb or somethin but i really wanna get this in

Last edited by Snipey; 04/27/06 07:58 PM.

- 98 SVT #5999 -. -CDA-7894 w/ ipod interface -Knauberized, Trubendz 2.5/highflow cat
B
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
B
sounds like there is a maf adaptor and open element filter on there already.

The one you show is the stock svt replacement.

98.5 Black SVT with 34k miles Build #5683 Born on 4\15\1998 WR Headers GMK CAI Blaupunkt system fiberglass tweeter pods L.E.D. tail lights in the works
S
Snipey Offline OP
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
S
so if i have this maf adapter do i need something else to put this on? sure seems like im missin somethin... if i tried to do it with the provided parts it would be a metal to metal connection...

B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
the first picture you posted is a the stock drop in replacement and can only be used with teh stock SVT airbox

the second one you have pictured looks like the KKM intake which eliminates the stock airbox

you have to completely different filters that are not interchangable

- 95 Mystique LS - Zetec/5spd - 99 Contour SeVT Sport - Duratec/5spd Official NE-CEG Contour/Mustang Family
S
Snipey Offline OP
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
S
so this K&N is a waste of $60?

apparently whoever owned it before me got rid of the airbox...does that mean im basically f^cked for getting the K&N? damn..

thanks for all the help tho

R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Originally posted by Snipey:
so this K&N is a waste of $60?

apparently whoever owned it before me got rid of the airbox...does that mean im basically f^cked for getting the K&N? damn..

thanks for all the help tho

Well, depends what you want to do.

If you want to revert to the stock airbox, they are not that hard to find and usually pretty cheap. I got one for about $20, but I haven't put it in yet.

If you want to keep your current setup, clean it, re-oil it, and put it back in. Is it damaged? I don't understand why you went to replace an oiled gauze filter in the first place.

MHO is that you'd get better performance out of the stock airbox and that K&N than you will out of your current setup, as you will get nothing but cool air, and more flow than your throttle body can handle.

Opinions vary, obviously.

Function before fashion. '96 Contour SE "Toss the Contour into a corner, and it's as easy to catch as a softball thrown by a preschooler." -Edmunds, 1998
S
Snipey Offline OP
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
S
thanks roger i appreciate it. honestly, i had no idea there was an airbox originally and thought the replacement was some cheap-o one. now that i know i can clean it and oil i probably will. im assuming i use specific products to do so, i will probably pick up a K&N cleaning kit or steal one from my friend

thanks everyone

.Snipey

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard