Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1557604 04/25/06 01:32 PM
B
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
B
well this is very interesting, last month I heard about a job openning at Pratt & Whitney and desided to submitt my resume. Well last week I heard back about it and got an interview. Last night I was sent an email saying that they would like me to meet with HR this weds, sounds like I have the job but here is the kicker, I come into work this morning and everyone has an email stating that there is now a no hire clause between UTC and Belcan in their new contract. It says that either company cannot solicity employees of the other company for a job and that you can't talk to the other company with out a managers approval. Now I think that I am ok since I was only notified about this this morning. I do believe that I just need to go and talk to my manager.

I guess I just need to suck it up and go talk to mangement ...

this sucks as I do not want to burn any bridges ...

- 95 Mystique LS - Zetec/5spd - 99 Contour SeVT Sport - Duratec/5spd Official NE-CEG Contour/Mustang Family
F
Smurfette
Smurfette
F
Wait and see if you definitely have the job in the bag before you say ANYTHING to ANYONE.

If it turns out you have the job (offer in writing, etc), then get the wheels in motion to discuss leaving.

Besides, aren't you a contractor? I would think the rules don't really apply to you in this case.
And technically this is a new rule after you've already started interviewing.
Too bad, so sad for your current employer.
That's business, baby.

Kim 1995 Contour GL Needs less "needs more"
B
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Originally posted by frenchblueC2:
Wait and see if you definitely have the job in the bag before you say ANYTHING to ANYONE.

If it turns out you have the job (offer in writing, etc), then get the wheels in motion to discuss leaving.

Besides, aren't you a contractor? I would think the rules don't really apply to you in this case.
And technically this is a new rule after you've already started interviewing.
Too bad, so sad for your current employer.
That's business, baby.

that is what most poeple I have spoken to have said, I see it as Belcan and UTC and different companies. Although it can be seen as an incompany transfer. The idea is that UTC does not come in and raid Belcan for engineers as then Belcan wouldn't be able to do their job. And I believe the increased demand for engineers has driven this.

Of course at this time I have not said anything to management about me possibly leaving. This is an oppurtunity that fell into my lap that I followed up on and it seems that is is going somewhere. I figured it would be as easy as just giving my two week notice but this would put a wrench in that.

I would just wait and see but according to the new policy I can't even speak to anyone with out approval.

Also my work is contracted to Hamilton Sundstrand, but I am employed by Belcan.

I will be asking the question about the effective data of the contract, as the new policy wouldn't take effect until the new contract between the companies begins. I am also going to ask that solicit be defined better, I read it as the company coming to an individual and saying they have a job for them, not an individual applying for a job with out being contacted by the company.

- 95 Mystique LS - Zetec/5spd - 99 Contour SeVT Sport - Duratec/5spd Official NE-CEG Contour/Mustang Family
C
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
C
Dilemma!

Doug 2006 Mercury Milan V6 Premier Dark Blue Pearl Former owner of a 2000 SVT Contour
B
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Originally posted by Cueball:
Dilemma!

yeah yeah I can't spell, I know

E
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
E
ok , i may be stoopid, but how does P&W relate to UTC and Belcan?

either way, i say kim is right on this one(its about time she got something right, hehe)
confirm the job and then talk to management.

NY State Trooper: So what makes your car so special to have SVT all over it? Me: Er...It was made by Fords SPECIAL Vehicle Team?
B
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Originally posted by ElKy da Stalker:
ok , i may be stoopid, but how does P&W relate to UTC and Belcan?

either way, i say kim is right on this one(its about time she got something right, hehe)
confirm the job and then talk to management.

after speaking with someone who just did the same thing he said I can notify Belcan when I want. Also everyone seems to be saying the same thing, it is two different companies. It turns out this clause has been in the contract but I didn't know about it until this morning, it is just going to be enforced now. Pending the definition of solicite from the office I will just go forward with the HR meeting tomorrow, after all I sought out this job posting on my own.

Elky, UTC or United Technologies Corperation is the parent company, Pratt and Whitney, Hamilton Sundstrand, Otis Elevator, The Fuel Cell division, Sikorsky, etc are all part of UTC. All the groups use Belcan which is a company that provides outsourcing/contracting for UTC. Apparently last year Belcan lost 20 people to UTC were in the past it was only about 5 people per year, I know the company is looking out for their best interest but I have to also.

E
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
E
ahhh. i see.

my contract states that the company that i am working for (Rockwell) can not hire me until my contract expires.
i can't even apply for another position in the company (your situation kinda).
if the company wants to hire me i have to quit or be let go and cant be hired back on for a minimum of 3 months.

kinda sucks, because i have a 2088 hour contract (1 year and 1 day).
rockwell want to hire me on, there is a positon open that they want me to fill, but i will have to wait until november.
but if the position is filled by then i am out of luck.

NY State Trooper: So what makes your car so special to have SVT all over it? Me: Er...It was made by Fords SPECIAL Vehicle Team?
B
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
B
well that is the sticking point, Belcan is its own corperation, I don't have a contract like that, in a employee hand book it states that emploer or employee can terminate employment at any time for any reason ... this all hinges on the definition of soliciting, I feel it means the company can not go into the other company and raid it for people, but that is not the case here, I sought out a job posting on the Pratt Web page and applied for it, I don't see that as soliciting, but it might be

S
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
S
Hamilton Sundstrand, it used to be called Hamilton Standard when I worked there back in 1989 . I agree with Kim don't rock the boat until P&W has a solid offer, if nothing comes about atleast no one knows .

"we aren't punished for our sins, but by them" 2000 se sport tropic green/gray leather. V6,svt body kit and E1 wheels/Avon tech m500 rubber, many mods. 2003 Eddie Bauer Explorer V8 2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S 1996 Mercury Sable
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  baco99, frenchblueC2_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard