Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
W
OP Offline
W
Hello,
I don't post here much. My 99 Contour is a I4 and I really don't have problems with it except that I didn't get an owners manual with it (dam rental companies! lol).
Anyone knowledgeable with the possibility of using E-85 fuel WITHOUT modifications? Or E-10? I see that E-85 is a buck less then gasoline here in Wisconsin.
I really don't want to start a thread on the merits of Ethanol etc. I'd actually pay more than gasoline's price if it meant the $$ would stay here and not go as petro-dollars to certain foreign countries.
I can find lists of new cars with switchable fuel but not going back 6-7 years.
Thanks,
Chris C

T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
E10 (10% ethanol-90% gasoline) is fine. E85 is NOT fine. (requires special rubber fittings, etc.). To download an Owners' Manual free, www.fleet.ford.com

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Ethanol is so widely available in fuel now that a large share of "normal" gasoline is really "E10".

Even if the fuel system was compatable with E85, it would not work well. E85 has a very different air/fuel ratio. It must run much richer than gasoline. Unless you have the equipment onboard to measure the actual alcohol content and alter the air/fuel mixture accordingly, it will run way too lean. Not only will it run very badly if at all, it would be so lean that you could damage the engine.

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited
G
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
G
If you wanna see something funny, put in diesel.

Champagne 1995 Ford Contour LX R.I.P. - 7/11/06 V6 2.5L 24v DOHC Oversized System
T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
I can use E-85 in my Taurus

Yet I don't know where to buy it here in IL!

Former owner of a 1995 Ford Contour GL w/ 2.0L ATX Proud owner of a 2005 Ford Taurus SE 3.0L V6 Vulcan --Looking for Commodore stuff (Drives, Units, Amiga, games, etc)If anyone has any of this laying around and wants it gone, lemme know --
W
OP Offline
W
Thanks for the info guys;
I am not surprised I cant use E-85, just wanted to run it by the group.
BTW , for the owner in Hanover Park IL: try this link to hopefully find a "RENEW E-85" fuel station.
http://www.e85fuel.com/database/search.php
And thinks for the link to the owners manual!!
See ya,
Chris C 99 contour rental

H
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
H
Anything made after the late 80's has synthetic rubber seals that won't deteriorate with ethenol. If someone was to REALLY want to have their Contour use E85, they just need a chip that can advance the timing and widen the pulse width on the injectors. It might take some tuning, but it's possible. You'd even get a lot more power since it's a higher octane.

I say get a flip chip that you can switch from gasoline to E85. It would just be a manual switch.

-Auto Makor- -Experimentor -Station Wagonor- -Computerizor- I have a foot that is bigger than a foot. SuperChipFOR SALE
B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
It'd be really slick to get a fuel type sensor out of one of the flex fuel Fords. Have it switch over automagically.

From what I've read, you have to richen up the mixture 25-30%. You can also bump the timing by up to 14 degrees.

Pure ethanol is 113 octane. I think E-85 is a little over 104 octane. It's like race gas...ony cheap.

BP

Ben ---'96 Contour GL * Zetec ATX * Tan on Black steelies--- +++JRSC M62 Under Construction+++ My big-a$$ mod list.
E
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
E
The ethanol can be run in the Contour, but not in E85 form. You can play with the ratio, the car will be able to adjust to it, for while, until the alcohol gets too strong and the car cant compensate. I ran about E30 in my old `96 for awhile but the mileage/power decrease wasnt worth it.

But my Volvo likes it. Milage is down about 20-30 per tank but power is up, which is expected with a turbo. Got it on about E37, or 97 octane, depending on how you want to look at it.

· Jon Miconi · Coming Soon! · 01 Cougar · 98 V70R
J
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
J
e-10 is not harmful to any gaskets from older engines. e-85 will eat any paper gaskets out (that sounds dirty). the ethanol mixtures will increase hopefully but there will be warnings. heheheh my truck can do 50/50 :-P

05 Chevy Colorado z71 4x4 *for sale* 97 Honda Accord 4door track whore *12.9 N/A* (blown and wrecked) 97 Honda Accord 4 door 03 Eclipse GS
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  GTO Pete, Trapps_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard