Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 21 22
#1555522 04/22/06 12:44 AM
S
Swazo Offline OP
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
S
Coming home from the dyno, I noticed that I was smoking pretty bad (on the freeway). It hadn't done this while I test drove the car around the shop for over an hour before hand.

At the first light after the exit, I was smoking from under the hood pretty badly. Once I got it home, I noticed my PCV valve was disconnected and there was a bit of oil pooled up on the trans ribs.

I cleaned it all up, reconnected the PCV valve with a hose clamp to keep it installed and degreased the engine bay. I let it run for a bit to 'burn' off any water on the header wrap, etc. Once I took off for a test drive, I was belching white smoke out of the exhaust pretty badly

I'm pretty freaked out at this point. I've got the oil draining right now (no coolant in there, that's a plus) and I'm planning on doing a compression test.

Any ideas?

2005 Ford F150 SuperCab FX4 1964 Chevrolet Impala SS 1998 CSVT: 354HP/328TQ @ 10 psi, now gone
#1555523 04/22/06 12:58 AM
F
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
Pray this didn't happen!!!

BTW, 0 on the compression tester is bad

5 out of 6 pistons agree: pitting causes total piston failure sooner or later

#1555524 04/22/06 01:20 AM
S
Swazo Offline OP
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
S
That would be pretty crappy, I'd part this f%&^er out and cut my losses if it were the pistons or rings.

Though I just got off the phone with Stilov, and he asked me about my oil return line. I made it out of high temp oil hose. It is very crispy already around the exhaust. When I had the smoking underneath the hood, it was pooring up from that area. I couldn't see where it was smoking from up top, so to see underneath I have to jack the car up (drivers side). All smoking stopped under the hood and out the exhaust when it was in the air at that angle

I am off to home depot for 1/2 copper pipe to make a hybrid return line to see if that cures my problem.

2005 Ford F150 SuperCab FX4 1964 Chevrolet Impala SS 1998 CSVT: 354HP/328TQ @ 10 psi, now gone
#1555525 04/22/06 03:02 AM
S
Swazo Offline OP
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
S
I didn't get the piping yet to redo my return line, but I am preeeeetty sure it is the problem.

What I've found so far...

1. Underhood smoke is coming from oil and degreaser soaked header wrap from the PCV valve popping off.

2. The car starts fine, idles and drives normal

3. Idling, the exhaust is normal. Under load, it smokes. (Which could mean that when it's under boost, it smokes )

I should have time to get a new return line installed tomorrow. I just might seperate the downpipe from the turbo to see if there is any oil in it, like if a seal in the turbo blew.

#1555526 04/22/06 08:01 AM
T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
This would be such bad news. I know youve been working on this for a while now. Im hoping for the best.
-tropictour

2000 Contour SVT Tropic Green SHO Shop CAI Bassani 1999 Contour SE BAT Kit
#1555527 04/22/06 12:17 PM
W
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
W
Well take it easy and don't rush to conclusions yet. It only takes a little bit of oil in the cylinder to make a hell of a lot of smoke. You should also have funny noises from the engine if the rings are cracked, a higher pitch tapping noise than say a rod knock; something between that and say lifter noise and it wouldn't sound natural. I'm sure if you heard it you'd know and then have mentioned it.

If the pcv system blew off then you have all that oil to burn off. Also, without the vacuum on the pcv, any blow-by would be pushing oil back down the lines into the fresh air intake point. You have to pull your intake tube off the compressor and see if you have any oil pooled in it. Next, pull of the discharge tube and clean that too.

If your oil feed line to the turbo is too big or does not have a small enough restrictor then you will get this problem.
If the oil doesn't drain out of the bearing housing then you will also get this problem.

Of course, checking compression never hurts either.

**EDIT***

Oh yeah, you guys really need to get on board the solid oil return line system that I made. I made one for one of the Cougar guys too. Once you figure out your angles and lengths on the pipes you will never have another issue, no leaks and no rotting/cracking.
Less than $10 for copper tubing and elbows and of course a propane torch, solder and flux.

Last edited by warmonger; 04/22/06 12:24 PM.

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black
#1555528 04/22/06 12:22 PM
W
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
W
Originally posted by TC'd Swazo:
I didn't get the piping yet to redo my return line, but I am preeeeetty sure it is the problem.

What I've found so far...

1. Underhood smoke is coming from oil and degreaser soaked header wrap from the PCV valve popping off.

2. The car starts fine, idles and drives normal

3. Idling, the exhaust is normal. Under load, it smokes. (Which could mean that when it's under boost, it smokes )

I should have time to get a new return line installed tomorrow. I just might seperate the downpipe from the turbo to see if there is any oil in it, like if a seal in the turbo blew.

Well it does smoke under boost, but its only because the temps get so hot so quickly that it starts to burn the oil out of the header wrap. Don't worry! I did this like three or four times!
The header wrap really holds the oil and it acts like a wick for a smoke bomb LOL.
I took me two days to burn off all the oil when I spilled a bunch on the header wrap before....and yes everyone looks at you like your car is on fire till it burns away. I purposely removed header wrap on the pipe under where the oil filter is changed just for this reason.

So go find a back road or a street with some neighbors you don't like, and then start running it up and down the road with some full throttle runs in lower gears. The heat will go up tremendously and if you don't give it a chance to cool down it will burn off the oil much quicker, maybe in 20 minutes.

Good luck. You'll be known as the flaming ford around town after that.

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black
#1555529 04/22/06 03:45 PM
S
Swazo Offline OP
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
S
Originally posted by warmonger:

1. If the pcv system blew off then you have all that oil to burn off. Also, without the vacuum on the pcv, any blow-by would be pushing oil back down the lines into the fresh air intake point. You have to pull your intake tube off the compressor and see if you have any oil pooled in it. Next, pull of the discharge tube and clean that too.

2. If your oil feed line to the turbo is too big or does not have a small enough restrictor then you will get this problem.
If the oil doesn't drain out of the bearing housing then you will also get this problem.

Of course, checking compression never hurts either.

**EDIT***

3. Oh yeah, you guys really need to get on board the solid oil return line system that I made. I made one for one of the Cougar guys too. Once you figure out your angles and lengths on the pipes you will never have another issue, no leaks and no rotting/cracking.
Less than $10 for copper tubing and elbows and of course a propane torch, solder and flux.

1. I pulled my IC yesterday to hook the PCV system back up ( I'm goingto get a turbo coupe or Lightning PCV valve today...) and there wasn't any oil in the IC or TB, but there was residue in the turbo oulet. I'll be lookinginto this more today.

2. My feed is 4 AN, but I have a billet flange on the turbo with a restrictor in it. My oil drain is not a flat out straight shot to the block (tapped above the pan), and it's in high temp oil line that is crispy on one side. My plan is to replace with copper tubing so that gravity alone will allow good drainage and no pooling or restrictions.

Yet another trip to Home Depot for "car parts"

#1555530 04/22/06 03:55 PM
S
Swazo Offline OP
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
S
Originally posted by warmonger:

1. Well it does smoke under boost, but its only because the temps get so hot so quickly that it starts to burn the oil out of the header wrap.

2. Don't worry! I did this like three or four times! The header wrap really holds the oil and it acts like a wick for a smoke bomb LOL.
I took me two days to burn off all the oil when I spilled a bunch on the header wrap before....and yes everyone looks at you like your car is on fire till it burns away. I purposely removed header wrap on the pipe under where the oil filter is changed just for this reason.

So go find a back road or a street with some neighbors you don't like, and then start running it up and down the road with some full throttle runs in lower gears. The heat will go up tremendously and if you don't give it a chance to cool down it will burn off the oil much quicker, maybe in 20 minutes.

Good luck. You'll be known as the flaming ford around town after that.

1. I meant out of the exhaust, not off of the piping.

2. LMAO, I pulled up to a light and everyone roller their windows up and gave me dirty looks I noticed the crossover pipe and the bottom of the DP goat somewhat soaked and just smolders at this point. Once I get the new PCV valve inplace and check a few things out, I'm off to the industrial areas to burn it off.

Thanks Tom, I don't feel as bad now and am going to clear these issues up this weekend.

#1555531 04/23/06 01:28 AM
S
Swazo Offline OP
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
S
OK, still belching white smoke with the new 1/2" copper return line and a new Lightning PCV valve. I let it run for 20 minutes. It still doesn't smoke at all while idling, but if rev'd any amount past like 2K it starts to puke the smoke. I ditched the wrap from the back half of my down pipe, and it is smoke free.

Things I found...
1. No oil of any kind in the TB and the outlet of the IC.

2. A TINY residue of oil on the inlet of the IC

3. small puddle of oil in the compressor, and light coat of oil in the inlet pipe.

Tomorrow I am pulling my turbo to see what's up with it, I think it may have taken a crap on me. I will also be doing a compression test to rule out the engine to be on the safe side.
I'll have to get a compression test kit or see if AutoZone has a rental set that'll work.

Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 21 22

Link Copied to Clipboard