Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
P
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
P
Got a Q for anyone that has bought or sold wheels and tires through the mail. How were they packaged? I have some wheels /tires from my Escape that I am going to try to ship and I don't know how to do it. I can't seem to find a box big enough. with the 235/70/15 combo They are close to 30" in diamater. When I shipped wheels from my 'tour I found a box that was the right size at u-haul but they don't have anything big enough. You think I can just wrap them in bubble wrap and shrink wrap and that would work? I'm going to put a post over on E-C but this board gets a lot more traffic so I figured you guys might have some ideas.

"Bros before Hoes" <-- More men need this mentality.
T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
The bubble/shrink will work, but it will collect a LOT of dust & dirt on the trip. Try a shop that sells custom wheels, they may have some old boxes out back. Otherwise a trip to your local pack 'n ship store is in order. They should have an appropriate sized box, but that's 'bout $8 each.

You might also look at a furniture or bedding store & cut/bend oversized boxes to fit. Worked well when I was shipping a plotter.

Must be that jumbly-wumbly thing happening again.
M
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
M
When I shipped my wheels and tires, I just used the round circle cardboard that you find inside wheel boxes (when wheels get shipped, they're used on the inside to further cushion them) and taped them onto the wheel/tire combo. Then shipped them just like that. Use a lot of tape. The tire will help protect the wheel, as does the cardboard. Remember, they'll be stacking your wheels along side of other cardboard boxes, so its not like you have to protect them from rocks or the like.

Very simple and effective.

B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Originally posted by Mid Life Crisis:
When I shipped my wheels and tires, I just used the round circle cardboard that you find inside wheel boxes (when wheels get shipped, they're used on the inside to further cushion them) and taped them onto the wheel/tire combo. Then shipped them just like that. Use a lot of tape. The tire will help protect the wheel, as does the cardboard. Remember, they'll be stacking your wheels along side of other cardboard boxes, so its not like you have to protect them from rocks or the like.

Very simple and effective.

that is how tirerack shipped the wheel/tire combo that I purchased from them, and they ship tires by just wrapping two tires together ...

- 95 Mystique LS - Zetec/5spd - 99 Contour SeVT Sport - Duratec/5spd Official NE-CEG Contour/Mustang Family
M
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
M
Yeah when I got my rims/tires package from tirerack, they did the same... kinda basically a cardboard sandwhich.

[color:"green"]-Matt R

'99 Tropic Green LX, Zetec, ATX
S
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
Originally posted by Matt R:
kinda basically a cardboard sandwhich.

yummy!

Jake 96 T-Red SE V6
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
When I got my combo, they used a cardboard circle in between two tire/rims (facing each other w/ the inside of the wheel facing out), also cardboard on the outside & used plastic strapping to hold them together...I s'pose enough packaging tape would do the same thing.

At least that way you wouldn't get hit w/ 4 unboxed charges in addition to the shipping charges...

1999 Sportage 4x4...don't go there, it was free ....______o_o .../_l l__\____\ ..|--l l__----[]\|/[] .....................oo =( )_)----( )_)--)_)
H
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
H
bubble wrap the tire/wheel very well. then the cardboard sandwich and taped REALLY well. overkill is highly recommended. i work for ups and see tires wheels all the time. some companies do a poor job when they ship. unless your selling just tires, do each tire/wheel as 4 items. just tires then go ahead and tape 2 tires together.

Hugo AIM:omegazodiac 95 gl & 99 contour svt #1750/2760 my profile pics stuff for sale

Moderated by  1314_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard