Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
B
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
B
Kumho 712 was without a doubt the worst tire I have ever owned in my life. Any bumps in the road while cornering will send you flying. The sidewall flexes like crazy. Forget traction in the rain.

Have BFG KDW2's right now and couldn't be happier. Appearance and wet/dry performance are top notch.

Black 2000 SVT Contour w/ Prairie Tan MSDS Headers | Magnaflow | Mirko Splitter | Fidanza Short Throw Shifter | Kenwood KVT-815 LCD/DVD
G
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
G
Originally posted by Decepticon:
Originally posted by RogerB:

Now my Rt-215's have insane grip but are deadly scary in the wet

I've yet to experience any wet or hydroplaning issues with the 215s.

And just to be clear, they have excellent traction on wet surfaces, but are not as good at resisting hydroplaning as some other tires.

Really???

Maybe it was just that day, There was a assload of standing water soo that could have been teh prob. But turning the car would want to lose traction very easily

They're great in the wet, but bad in standing or deep running water.

P
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Well, I have made up my mind on the 451s. I loved my Kumhos, but want something a smidge newer in design.

98 Silver Frost SVT 97 BMW 540I Sport, six speed "Blue is for sky, black is for soil, and white is for simplicity, purity and hope for the future" "A coveted car should never stunt your life, but should make it more rich and interesting."
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
I have the 712's and besides rubbing (225's) I like them, dispite what steeda and y2k will say

Alex '99 SVT Contour -=|WANTED: Vortech, working or not |=-
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
Originally posted by Phil Rohtla:
but want something a smidge newer in design.

The SPT is brand new...

But I personally would go with the Falkens. There are rumors that they are a dual-compound tire, with very sticky stuff underneath. I've only driven one car with them, very briefly, but I found no faults. The owner autocrosses and DD them and likes them quite a bit. Plus, they look really cool.

-Philip Maynard '95 Contour [71 STS | Track Whore] '97 Miata [71 ES | Boulevard Pimp] 2006 autocross results
Y
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
Y
Originally posted by Pudmunkie:
I have the 712's and besides rubbing (225's) I like them, dispite what steeda and y2k will say

Worst tire ever. ever. ever. EVER! I think driving around on wheels with no tires would give better traction, and a softer ride.

Anyway, Falken ZE512's hands down. They're comparably soft to the 60 treadware race tires I have right now.

Mark

2000 Black CSVT 3.0L Hybrid - 206fwhp & 195fwtq
W
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
W
Color me a contarian, but I liked the 712s. The worst tire ever is the Visa (Falken's discount brand). Trust me, the PO shod my Miata with them, and they're terrible.

Whirling dervish of FFOG.
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
I liked the 712s. Good grip, great in wet. And inexpensive.

That said, I ordered the Falken 451s. I don't need an all season because I use snow tires in the winter. Figured I'd give a new tire a shot.

And, unlike the Kumhos, I can get them easily locally. They are being ordered, and should be on the car next Thursday.

98 Silver Frost SVT 97 BMW 540I Sport, six speed "Blue is for sky, black is for soil, and white is for simplicity, purity and hope for the future" "A coveted car should never stunt your life, but should make it more rich and interesting."
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Originally posted by RogerB:

Now my Rt-215's have insane grip but are deadly scary in the wet

I've yet to experience any wet or hydroplaning issues with the 215s.

And just to be clear, they have excellent traction on wet surfaces, but are not as good at resisting hydroplaning as some other tires.

...There was a assload of standing water soo that could have been teh prob.

Well, I don't drive fast when it's raining, but I tend to follow the posted speed limit and I haven't had any issues up to around 60 mph.

When I autocrossed in the rain, I finished my runs before the puddles got real deep. Later heats started having problems, but when I ran it was just a wet surface.

Most reviewers note the awesome traction in both wet and dry, but also note that they are not as good at evacuating standing water because of the (now discontinued) tread pattern.

I'm not saying there isn't an issue. I'm just saying that even though I've been wary of it, I haven't experienced it.

There. Perhaps now I've properly qualified my statements.

Function before fashion. '96 Contour SE "Toss the Contour into a corner, and it's as easy to catch as a softball thrown by a preschooler." -Edmunds, 1998
L
CEG road warrior
CEG road warrior
L
I have the 712s now. They grip, good in rain......road noise is a little high but I really don't care.

Hector 2003 Rally Red Mitsubishi Evolution VIII 257HP/259TQ 2005 Lapis Blue Mazda 6s RET: 00 Cabernet Red Ford Contour Zetec ATX SUPERCHARGED 160HP/141TQ
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  1314_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard