Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Looking for new summers, and it is down to the Kumho 712s, Ecsta SPTs, the Falken 451s, or the Falken 512s.

Any thoughts on these tires? I had the Kumhos and I liked them, but can get the Falkens more easily. I have read reviews all over the web, and it's becoming paralysis by analysis. Anyone got any experience with the Falkens?

98 Silver Frost SVT 97 BMW 540I Sport, six speed "Blue is for sky, black is for soil, and white is for simplicity, purity and hope for the future" "A coveted car should never stunt your life, but should make it more rich and interesting."
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
Which Kuhmos did you have? The Falken ZE512 is a very sporty all-season for cheap, but it's not near as sticky as the 712 or it's replacement, the SPT. I'd check prices between tirerack.com and discounttiredirect.com and go with the SPT or GR-Beta. They are pretty comparable, from what I've heard, although the Falken seems to be the better tire - but I haven't driven the new Kumho, personally. Remember to include shipping at tirerack: it's free at DTD.

In any case, just make a decision and order. Both the SPT and GR-Beta seem to be leaving a trail of happy customers, and they're cheap. I think this is a win-win.

-Philip Maynard '95 Contour [71 STS | Track Whore] '97 Miata [71 ES | Boulevard Pimp] 2006 autocross results
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
I had the W-rated 712s, which I liked for a few factors (grip, resistance to hydroplaning, price). They are, however now quite bald, and I am looking for a replacement.

Discount and Tire Rack won't be the best for me as I am in Canada, but tiretrend.ca carries them.

I'll check on the GR-Beta. I didn't see it on the tiretrend site, and it's getting time to pull the snows, so I may have to go with the Kumhos anyway.

EDIT: OOPs didn't realise that the GRs are the 451s......

Last edited by Phil Rohtla; 04/20/06 02:02 PM.

98 Silver Frost SVT 97 BMW 540I Sport, six speed "Blue is for sky, black is for soil, and white is for simplicity, purity and hope for the future" "A coveted car should never stunt your life, but should make it more rich and interesting."
S
Captain Impound Boy
Captain Impound Boy
S
The khumo 712 is the worst tire i ever owned in my life!!!!

hydroplaned like crazy didn't grip enough, all around sucked!

Now my Rt-215's have insane grip but are deadly scary in the wet

A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
The 712 was the best grip for the money when it came out. It was not a very good tire, but it was very sticky for the price. Of course the 215 is better, it costs almost twice as much!

-Philip Maynard '95 Contour [71 STS | Track Whore] '97 Miata [71 ES | Boulevard Pimp] 2006 autocross results
W
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
W
If I had to do it again, I would have gotten the FK-451s instead of the ZE-512s. The 512s sing too much and aren't grippy at all.

Whirling dervish of FFOG.
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
The ZE512 is very grippy for an economy all-season, IMO. I got them for $43 each, shipped, in 195/60R15. That's a heck of a deal! But, of course, they're not even close to the grip level of a summer tire like the GR Beta FK-451 (what a name for a tire ) or SPT. You get what you pay for, in this case.

R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Originally posted by Decepticon:

I've yet to experience any wet or hydroplaning issues with the 215s.

And just to be clear, they have excellent traction on wet surfaces, but are not as good at resisting hydroplaning as some other tires.

Function before fashion. '96 Contour SE "Toss the Contour into a corner, and it's as easy to catch as a softball thrown by a preschooler." -Edmunds, 1998
I
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
I
Originally posted by weargle:
The 512s sing too much

This is the first real mention I've noticed in performance tire discussions about noise level. I know that the off-brand all-seasons I have on my car are LOUD on the highway. But so were the crappy Firehawks that came on the car.

So, how do these tires you're discussing here compare regarding road noise?

I've always had all-seasons, but I'm thinking of going to summer/winter combos now that I have a parts car with wheels I can use.

BrApple-its all in the way it is presented...but everythign on my resume is all me TexasRealtor-I hope you spelling improves on your resume. MxRacer-ladies and gentlemen, welcome to ironyville. population, texasrelator.
S
Captain Impound Boy
Captain Impound Boy
S
Originally posted by RogerB:
Originally posted by Decepticon:

I've yet to experience any wet or hydroplaning issues with the 215s.

And just to be clear, they have excellent traction on wet surfaces, but are not as good at resisting hydroplaning as some other tires.

Really???

Maybe it was just that day, There was a assload of standing water soo that could have been teh prob. But turning the car would want to lose traction very easily

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  1314_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard