Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
K
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
K
I may get flamed for this, but my shadow's got 192k miles on it. I've been running regular (non-synthetic) 20W-50 in it, and it has GREATLY reduced the burning/smoking and leaking problems it was having...
that's just my experience, I'll disappear now

E
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
E
Originally posted by Auto-X Fil:
Originally posted by elraido:
no need on the 0 weight. I have had 5W30 mobil one in mine and it starts fine with out plugging it in (no head bolt heater) and it has seen -40+(F) below numerous times....on a very bad battary at that.

Yes, there's a need for the 0 weight. The thinner oil isn't just to make it crank easier, it's to reduce wear on startup.

And what's -40+(F)?

-40 and below (why I wrote it that way I don't know). And trust me, the 5 weight oil is good enough for extreamly cold starts. I have had a the stuff sit in its bottles over night when it is that cold and it is still EASILY poorable when I change the oil.

95 SE MTX svt exhaust intake deer killer
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Originally posted by Big Jim:
Aren't you happy to know you have a bad gasket, and you can get it fixed, instead of having so much sludge floating around that it plugs leaks?

That was old thinking. Current thinking is that certain synthetic base stocks tend to shrink some seals and gaskets, especially if other things are not blended in to mitigate that factor.

Actually, Jim, the "shrinking seals" thinking is from about 1972, which I think predates the sludge theory by a good 20 years, at least. Back then, there was a real problem with shrinking seals, which was quickly remedied by the oil makers. Problem solved.

You telling us it's back? What happened? Did the guys at Mobil lose the recipe? Or did the gasket-makers change everything without telling anyone?

Function before fashion. '96 Contour SE "Toss the Contour into a corner, and it's as easy to catch as a softball thrown by a preschooler." -Edmunds, 1998
O
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
O
Originally posted by RogerB:
Originally posted by Big Jim:
Aren't you happy to know you have a bad gasket, and you can get it fixed, instead of having so much sludge floating around that it plugs leaks?

That was old thinking. Current thinking is that certain synthetic base stocks tend to shrink some seals and gaskets, especially if other things are not blended in to mitigate that factor.

Actually, Jim, the "shrinking seals" thinking is from about 1972, which I think predates the sludge theory by a good 20 years, at least. Back then, there was a real problem with shrinking seals, which was quickly remedied by the oil makers. Problem solved.

You telling us it's back? What happened? Did the guys at Mobil lose the recipe? Or did the gasket-makers change everything without telling anyone?

You (RogerB) are indeed correct, the only oils nowadays that would have trouble with shrinking seals are the extremely high-end ester only (group V) oils like Motul 300V, some ELF brands, and maybe redline. To be fair though even the deposits on seal problem should be a thing of the past soon. The current crop of SM rated dino oils are so good I doubt they would ever sludge in a 3000 mile interval. For an older contour that probably saw SJ rated group II basestock oils though, sludge on the seals is a real problem (especially if maintenance was shady) and switching to Synthetic could show the problem (kind of like ripping the scab off a scrape or cut).

Ohsigmachi '96 GL MTX Zetec --I don't won't to hurt you, but it's still on my list of things to do.-- View projectSlippery Slope
M
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
M
Wal-mart brand synthetic motor oil....

Born again on 04/09/06 FOR SALE: Moonroof glass and motor MB sunshade PM ME!
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard