Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
Apex Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
A
I have searched for this, but I didn't find anything on it.

Can anything adverse happen if I started running synthetic on an engine that has 250K kilometers on it already?

I'm not sure what the car has been running previously, I'm assuming regular dino 5W30.

And if there's no bad effects, what would be the right one to run, 5W30 or should I go 0W40 ( keep in mind I'm in up north )?

Thanks in advance!

'96 Mystique
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
Synthetic is fine. Run it if you feel the cost is acceptable.

If you start the car in very cold weather (-20 F or lower is my mark), then I'd get 0W-40. Mobil 1 5W-30 is pretty good, but the 0W is better when it gets horribly cold.

-Philip Maynard '95 Contour [71 STS | Track Whore] '97 Miata [71 ES | Boulevard Pimp] 2006 autocross results
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
There is a continueing debate that some full synthetics may tend to slightly shrink old seals. Those that have a high level of Group IV base stock are the only ones that might be effected. This includes Mobil 1.

I switched to full synthetic at about 190,000 miles. I had a very slight leak prior to the switch. It seems to be about the same.

When I switched, I also moved from 3,000 mile oil change intervals to 5,000 mile oil change intervals. On the 3,000 mile oil change interval, the oil is still full when changed, and even now it still show full at 3,000 miles. Using a 5,000 mile interval, I need to add about 1/2 quart at 3,500 to 4,000 miles.

It is my belief that you can switch between synthetic and dino any time. That is also what the oil companies publish. If you are concerned, you may want to try either a high milage synthetic (Valvoline Max-Life full synthetic) or try a synthetic blend instead of a full synthetic.

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited
A
Apex Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
A
Thanks for the reply guys...

My only concern is developing leaks that I don't have at the moment. And that concern is especially with the 0W40 grade.

Maybe I'm better off to run 5W30 to be on the safe side?

'96 Mystique
E
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
E
no need on the 0 weight. I have had 5W30 mobil one in mine and it starts fine with out plugging it in (no head bolt heater) and it has seen -40+(F) below numerous times....on a very bad battary at that.

95 SE MTX svt exhaust intake deer killer
A
Apex Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
A
Originally posted by elraido:
no need on the 0 weight. I have had 5W30 mobil one in mine and it starts fine with out plugging it in (no head bolt heater) and it has seen -40+(F) below numerous times....on a very bad battary at that.

Ok thanks for the info.

'96 Mystique
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
Originally posted by elraido:

Yes, there's a need for the 0 weight. The thinner oil isn't just to make it crank easier, it's to reduce wear on startup.

And what's -40+(F)?

-Philip Maynard '95 Contour [71 STS | Track Whore] '97 Miata [71 ES | Boulevard Pimp] 2006 autocross results
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
I have to reluctantly add to that old story about switching to synthetic oil and leaks develop.

Just switched our 98 to synthetic (Wal-Mart ST 10W30 Higher mileage Vehicle Formula) at 125K miles about two months ago. Previously, had mostly dino 5W30, except the wife said she had bought synthetic a couple of times way back when she took it "in" for oil changes. I'd done almost all of the changes other than a few since we bought the car at 28K almost 5-6 years ago.

Oil pan gasket now leaks like a sieve.... This sucker isn't just seeping, it's marking its territory!

I added a bottle of the Valvoline Max-Life additive. Slowed it down a bit, but it still leaks.

Have ordered a new oil pan gasket and will replace it in a few weeks..

Steve

98 Contour SE Sport 2.5 Duratec ATX The wifey's car 89 Taurus SHO - 246K miles 94 SHO ATX - 190K 1997 F-150 5.4L ATX - The Workhorse 150K. ANY THREAD WITH "OMG" or "WTF" ETC IN THE TITLE WILL BE IGNORED!
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
Aren't you happy to know you have a bad gasket, and you can get it fixed, instead of having so much sludge floating around that it plugs leaks?

B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Originally posted by Auto-X Fil:
Aren't you happy to know you have a bad gasket, and you can get it fixed, instead of having so much sludge floating around that it plugs leaks?

That was old thinking. Current thinking is that certain synthetic base stocks tend to shrink some seals and gaskets, especially if other things are not blended in to mitigate that factor.

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard