Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
J
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
J
I can vouch for the fact that the whole front needs to be rebuilt. I cut and welded up two K frames trying to make it work with the stock rack. It CAN be done, just not very easily. If you absolutly have to have one, go for it. Don't let anyone talk you out of it.

Jim T.

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats".--H.L. Mencken Bumper sticker, OXYMORON #65 - Liberal Thinker
C
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
C
Lets see some pics..

1999 Mystique Sport 2nd owner bought it in Sept 03
120000km 4 door, leather, loaded pics on cardomain, coatsy
P
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
P
I stripped and parted a '90 Fox last fall/winter.

You'd have to make a trip to MI, but I have some parts that may come in handy:

-k member
-steering rack
-ps pump
-a arms
-8.8 rear end
-upper and lower rear control arms
-stock springs

87 Mustang GT 5.0L TURBO
S
Captain Impound Boy
Captain Impound Boy
S
Do you still have those parts? Shoot me a PM

P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
WTF you need those for, wang!

Alex '99 SVT Contour -=|WANTED: Vortech, working or not |=-
W
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
W
There was a guy over on the MEG boards who is doing the same thing. He's got the car town apart and in putting a Range Rover engine in. It's not a very powerful block and I think it's pretty stupid that way. I can't find the link right now but have a look and see if he's got any info for you.

1999 Contour SE Duratec ATX My feet and the Stra�Ÿenbahn http://www.tempo-topaz-performance.com/topazsho/ the coolest Topaz ever! To bad it's not mine
J
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
J
Originally posted by coatsy:
Lets see some pics..

I moved the first of the year, and while I now have a three car garage instead of a two, I junked a lot of stuff that was in my shed including the contour front clip and the two K frames. I'm not a great one for keeping photo records of deeds and have none. I'll say this, get a 302 and a five speed. Hang it from the strut towers and start cutting the firewall till it clears that. Then you can try to install the front frame and rack and see what needs to be cut/removed/changed/beaten/welded and cursed at. Like I have stated earlier and it really hacks some people off, is it CAN be done. You had better have some fabrication experience or be willing to learn if you really want to finish it. It will not be easy. I was taking the wrong route by trying to modify the stock frame. it needs a different one maybe an aftermarket mustang II frame. Someday when I finish the Honda trail 90 and Vulcan 1500 restorations maybe I'll tackle it again.

Jim T.

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats".--H.L. Mencken Bumper sticker, OXYMORON #65 - Liberal Thinker
E
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
E
Not to drag this up, sounds like a few got mighty upset...but as a former autobody tech...speaking from experiance...I chopped a pickup I had, made it a hardtop convertable...alot of people was like you spent $$$ to fix the a/c then I chopped the roof.

My theory is it could be done, but probably the best route to go about this is finding a 5.0 fox mustang shell, cutting away the upper body, just leaving the floor, rockers, and front clip.
I would work on trying to do a decent setback on the engine/trans...The dash assembly on these cars are pretty deep...you could take out a portion of the fire wall, ditch the factory HVAC, and maybe just adapt a heater box from something else.
Welding would be a major issue...having someone knowing what they are able to do is pretty high up their...you'd want someone with a good 220v welder, a 110v unit ain't going to cut it if you have alot of heavy welding.
As far as the steering, etc, if you ended up using the front clip off a fox mustang, all your suspension and steering issues are handled.
swapping out the rear floor pans off the mustang gives you everything you need to mount up the 8.8 rear axle, and a place for a factory fuel tank, or a fuel cell.
I don't know what the track widths are, but I can't imagine there being a huge difference.
As far as making a heavy car run, I have a 4,300 pount Torino, call me crazy but heavy cars can and do run quick 1/4 mile times.
Worry about the ounces, and the pounds will fall.
my 2 cents. It just depends on you.

Bring back leaded gas! Bring back leaded gas! Aviation fuel is too expensive... 1972 GTS torino 351C CJ 4 speed, 1999 se Contour V6 ATX, 1992 Explorer H.O.S. 1979 F150 4x4 "the beast"
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard