Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
J
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
J
Originally posted by ellmers95:
Thanks GTOPete, That may help me out and make the decision for good. I have always wanted to do something like this and this car would be the least suspected car to be on the road with a v8 lurking under the hood. I will read it all tonight when I get home from work as I really would not mind doing this. Heck I could get this dione then go get my classic mustang lol. Have two toys.

Actually, a Focus would be the least suspected car with a V8, and *it has been done*. So, in theory, you could do it.

"Think of it, if you like, as a librarian with a G-string under the tweed." Clarkson on the Mondeo.
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Originally posted by Jeb Hoge:
Thanks GTOPete, That may help me out and make the decision for good. I have always wanted to do something like this and this car would be the least suspected car to be on the road with a v8 lurking under the hood. I will read it all tonight when I get home from work as I really would not mind doing this. Heck I could get this dione then go get my classic mustang lol. Have two toys.

Actually, a Focus would be the least suspected car with a V8...

Not really. More people than you realize already know about this swap, and now they're even doing it on TV (Speed Channel's "Sports Car Revolution," with our old friend Sean Hyland.)

Function before fashion. '96 Contour SE "Toss the Contour into a corner, and it's as easy to catch as a softball thrown by a preschooler." -Edmunds, 1998
E
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
E
Yep. The focus swap was featured in Hot Rod a couple of years ago already and widely publisized. Who would look at a Contour LX and think anything of it??? You look at a honda and stuff and first thought is ok where is the NOS?? The fart can?? ETC... there are few cars that dont look like anyone would do anything to. The Contour is one of them unless its a SVT. I like the sleekness the contours offer, convenience, and space. PLUS I really want to see the look on some Honda boys car when we are at a redlight wanting to race his mad bee on steriods and I leave two marks, and cloud of smoke, and going sideways down the street whoopin him!!

S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
Yep. The focus swap was featured in Hot Rod a couple of years ago already and widely publisized. Who would look at a Contour LX and think anything of it??? You look at a honda and stuff and first thought is ok where is the NOS?? The fart can?? ETC... there are few cars that dont look like anyone would do anything to. The Contour is one of them unless its a SVT. I like the sleekness the contours offer, convenience, and space. PLUS I really want to see the look on some Honda boys car when we are at a redlight wanting to race his mad bee on steriods and I leave two marks, and cloud of smoke, and going sideways down the street whoopin him!!

The whole steering rack thing basically destroys the practicality of this conversion. Basically the front subframe is useless for a RWD setup and thus you need to fabe up EVERYTHING from scratch, and I'm talk front subframe, front-mount steering rack, custom knuckles, custom everything - not worth it.

You want a fast car? Then go by an straight old 5.0 Fox for $5k dump another $5k into the driveline, and be done with it.

Absolute waste of time and money otherwise.

2000 SVT Turbo 295hp/269ftlb@12psi #1 for Bendix Brakes Kits! Knuckles rebuilt w/new bearings $55 AUSSIE ENDLINKS $70 Gutted pre-cats $80/set A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine!
A
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
A

If you are after the look on peoples faces after you fly by a V8 in a Contour, a 3L turbo should work just fine. Even my 3L Mystique does the trick.

96 Mystique Black On Tan V6 MTX Port Matched 01 3L, 2.5L Cams, 2.5" Exhaust Optimized y-pipe, SVT clutch, Superchips, 3L split port LIM, SVT UIM, Intake, Mustang 65mm TB, MSDS Headers. Eibach Pro Kit, Torsen Diff., Ford Racing 17" Wheels.
E
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
E
Wow and you guys earn respect for this kinda attitude?? Dam. I thought this was a car related enthusiast club not a lets bash the newbies for opening their mind up club. How am I suppose to know if its been thought up or not?? I am not in here THAT much on a daily basis to know how many times its been brought up. Yeah I know maybe I should have kept the mouth shut until I knew more of it. Like I said it still may get done it just depends. geez not much respect for other car clubers. Man I should have stayed with the old cars at least their was respect in those clubs.

I don't think they were trying to squash your "creativity" or anything. They were pointing out that what you were suggesting is not a completely new idea, and will be VERY labor and cost intensive.

They showed that they are true car enthusiasts by telling you several ways to better and more efficiently use your money and end up with a fast, driveable car. Instead of throwing money and time towards a project that will never be finished because of all the time, $$ and labor involved.

You made yourself look a little silly by saying that it will definitely happen damn all the costs, and then a few days later reneging on that statement and saying maybe.

The CEG will be a good resource for you if you decide to play with your Contour. There is plenty of knowledge and experience on this website and in the forums and membership to help you with a reasonable project like a 3L swap, or turbo add on, etc. Good luck in whatever you do.

MUST SELL - ECM computer new for a 98 V6 mtx + pats Now trolling in a Red Nissan 4 x 4
C
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
C
I've got an easier plan for a v8 RWD Contour: Find a wrecked but running Mustang GT (any body style) and swap a Contour's body panels over to it. Steering rack, driveline, fuel tank, exhaust pipes; all problems solved!

2000 Contour SE 2.5L ATX - Toreador Red 2001 VW Golf GLS 2.0L MTX - Tornado Red Buy my possessed VCR!!
S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
Originally posted by ChattavegasSE:
I've got an easier plan for a v8 RWD Contour: Find a wrecked but running Mustang GT (any body style) and swap a Contour's body panels over to it. Steering rack, driveline, fuel tank, exhaust pipes; all problems solved!

Hate to breakit to ya, but body panels aren't interchangeable it would not be easy AT ALL.

The whole idea is stupid.

2000 SVT Turbo 295hp/269ftlb@12psi #1 for Bendix Brakes Kits! Knuckles rebuilt w/new bearings $55 AUSSIE ENDLINKS $70 Gutted pre-cats $80/set A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine!
T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by Stazi:

Hate to breakit to ya, but body panels aren't interchangeable it would not be easy AT ALL.

Might as well badge a GT Mustang a Contour.

~Alex Ex- SVT Driver627 MUST SELL!!!LOCAL: Pre-98 MOLDED trunk Polk db speakers Corolla parts LED Underbody Kit PM 2000 Green CSVT gone on 2/17/06 2001 Toyota Corolla (SHE RUNS!!!) 1989 Mustang LX 5.0
C
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
C
Originally posted by Stazi:

Easier than the original idea.

2000 Contour SE 2.5L ATX - Toreador Red 2001 VW Golf GLS 2.0L MTX - Tornado Red Buy my possessed VCR!!
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard