Next Thread
Print Thread
#1553162 04/19/06 01:46 PM
C
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
I hate to cross post, but ideas seem to have dried up in the Troubleshooting room, so as a last attempt I'm trying here.

I posted this thread about pulling under braking.

We've replaced the rears, the fronts, both calipers, swapped hardware from left to right side, replaced hoses, replaced proportioning valves, cylinders, on-side control arm, and inspected just everything that was listed on the other post.

Please help a desperate man who's wife will kill him if she can't brake in a straight line !!

1998.5 T-Red on Midnight Blue SVT Build Number 5320 of 6535
S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
Well, I'm not going to read the other post, but personally, I would start with looking at the steering components (i.e. inner/outer tie rod ends) and ball joints.

You said you replaced the calipers, did you grease the slide pins well?

What about alignment?

Maybe the subframe is moving?

What about it actually being something in the rear suspension (i.e. toe adjustment arms, control arms, bushings for either)?

I'll put holes in him!!
T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
I split my money & bet on the LCAs and greasing the slide pins.

Must be that jumbly-wumbly thing happening again.
W
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
W
If you have an uneven road where you are braking you will get a pull, happens all the time here in Alabama on these roads. Make sure when you test your brakes it is on a flat road.

With all the hardware replaced then I would look at rear thrust alignment.

With that looked at then I would look at lower subframe bushings, lower control arms, upper strut mounts.

If you are sure that you are not having a piston from the rear drum brakes sticking or siezing then check out the drums again.

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black
C
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
Finally got it fixed. It was the off-side (right) LCA. It didn't seem to have any play in it and appeared okay ... until we got it off ... then it was apparent the bushing was toast.

I knew I should have gone with my instinct and replaced them both.

Thanks !

1998.5 T-Red on Midnight Blue SVT Build Number 5320 of 6535
T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
Originally posted by Christian:
I knew I should have gone with my instinct and replaced them both.

A good lesson that. When it comes to wear items such as LCAs, ball joints, sway bar bushings, strut mounts, etc., when one goes from age, the other is likely not far behind.

Must be that jumbly-wumbly thing happening again.

Moderated by  Andy W._dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard