Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
C
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
Originally posted by Rickson:
wow sounds like i will stay with orange. I will fiddle with it some other time. As of right now the last person just changed the the light bulb for me.

The bulb on the 98 clock is just a twist lock bulb. Takes about 5 secs to remove it.

From the factory it is illuminated green. How did it end up orange?

Tony 1998 SVT Contour (B/MB) #542 3L 1998 SVT Contour (SF/MB) #1266 parts car 2000 SVT Contour (SF/MB) #1533 3L swap to begin!
H
Harrry Offline OP
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
H
Originally posted by CSVT1214:
wow sounds like i will stay with orange. I will fiddle with it some other time. As of right now the last person just changed the the light bulb for me.

The bulb on the 98 clock is just a twist lock bulb. Takes about 5 secs to remove it.

From the factory it is illuminated green. How did it end up orange?

well i saw the black tab on the back but never thought of removing it to see the bulb. The person i bought it from just changed the bulb. So maybe he replaced it with an orange one. But the link to the pic that a person just posted showed the same clock style and his being orange??

weird if u ask me!!

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
hmmm, what holds the bul in place, is it fixed by plastic or was it sodered in??

I have a soder gun, it kinda sucks thought. murrays is where i will go today.

tnaks a bunch.

Let me know of any tips i sould know before i start this project.

1.soder gun
2.soder
3.condom

Woah there killer! The bulb is screwed in via the back. See this pic - link - that big round hole in the back, the bulb should be screwed in there (via a black plastic piece - might need a coin to screw it out). It's held in by plastic tabs - a quarter turn one way (forget left or right) and it should pop out.

Replacement bulbs are cheapish from Ford - I think I paid $3 or $4 for mine - but they don't come with the green condom. Sounds like the previous owner just got a bulb and put it in. The condom works, um, like a condom - goes right over the bulb ... just take the bulb out, put the condom on it, and put it back in. (am I still talking about clocks here? lol)

H
Harrry Offline OP
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
H
Okay i am going to tear it apart tomorrow.

Just to see what the final conclusion is with this light bulb!!

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
I
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
I
Colored bulbs are one way to go, you can also take the clock apart and use translucent vinyl. You have SO many more color choices using the vinyl. Disassembling the clock is easy too. If you go the vinyl route, stick it to the white diffuser and then make sure the white side faces the bulb, and the colored side faces the car interior. You'll really like the results.

Your local sign maker should have some scraps he'd give you, but he shouldn't charge you more than $1 for a scrap if anything.

Here's mine:

BrApple-its all in the way it is presented...but everythign on my resume is all me TexasRealtor-I hope you spelling improves on your resume. MxRacer-ladies and gentlemen, welcome to ironyville. population, texasrelator.
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
You can get the bulb from the dealer. Last I knew it was less than $5.00. For that price it is not worth the hassle for trying to make something else fit.

I have posted several times about a source for the colored sleeve. I don't remember the part number now, and it is hard to find on the internat catalog, but you should be able to find it in the printed catalog. It is available from partsexpress.com in quantities of 10 for less than $3.00 for the 10. You should be able to find the part number on a search, but it has probably been at least two years ago.

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard