Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
B
OP Offline
B
I have a 1999 Contour SE with the 2.5L V6. I've changed the starter twice because of what I thought was a bad Bendix clutch (occasionally spins without engaging, making a big racket). The starter will engage on the second or third key turn and start the engine fine. It also does not have this problem every time....

I suspect the flywheel has lost a tooth or teeth? When I posted on the Troubleshooting forum, "Tony2005" had a suggestion:

Originally posted by Bill Santiff:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks Tony, Now that I know that I can call around and see where I can get it changed most economically...

Sigh.

Bill

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Depends on where you are located, some CEGers might be able to do it cheaper than most shops. Post in the local forum/branch and see if you get a response there.

------------------------------------------------------------

So: any CEGers interested in changing a flywheel for a reasonable price? I live in norhtern Calvert Co. MD and work up by BWI but can bring the car anywhere in the metro DC Baltimore area. The flywheels seem to be around $100 on the internet and good old AAMCO wants several hundred dollars to change it (I have my third free AAMCO transmission in the car at the moment).

Thanks,

Bill

Suffering with a 1999 Contour...
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
4 letters. DanG

Ryan Trollin!
B
OP Offline
B
Thanks,

Tony PM'ed me the same suggestion and I have PM'ed DanG....

Appreciate the help!

Bill

Last edited by Bill Santiff; 04/18/06 07:37 PM.

Suffering with a 1999 Contour...
D
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
D
Responded...

Any clutch/flywheel work means the damn powertrain's got to come out of the car. I don't have a lift (keep in mind this is all done in my garage), and am not comfortable dropping the subframe. I may not be much (if any) cheaper, but the folks I've done work for will attest to my attention to detail during the work.

Dan G. and his Cougar Forged internal (Diamond & Pauter) full 3L, "Monster" Kinger F/I cut & P&P, T3/4 60 trim .82A/R ADC turbo, SPEC Stage 3, Torsen, Greddy Profec-B SPEC II, Apex'i Timer, Lots of Gauges! Used to have: 3.0L SVT hybrid
G
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
G
Originally posted by DanG:
Responded...

Any clutch/flywheel work means the damn powertrain's got to come out of the car. I don't have a lift (keep in mind this is all done in my garage), and am not comfortable dropping the subframe. I may not be much (if any) cheaper, but the folks I've done work for will attest to my attention to detail during the work.

Dan's a scam artist! He sabatoges your car so you keep going back to him!

Just kidding! Dan's attention to detail, knowledge and work are all top notch.

Capitol CEG Classifieds Make an offer! 2005 GTO IBM - 337hp/336tq
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Originally posted by DanG:
Responded...

I can vouch for his attention to detail as this morning he spent about 15 minutes telling me that my car is missing X bolt, or the wrong bolt is in the wrong place :-)

And he may not be much cheaper, but, his specific knowledge can't be substitued.

Ryan Trollin!
D
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
D
Originally posted by Pete 6.0:
Dan's a scam artist! He sabatoges your car so you keep going back to him!

Bring me your GTO- You'll never get it back.

Dan G. and his Cougar Forged internal (Diamond & Pauter) full 3L, "Monster" Kinger F/I cut & P&P, T3/4 60 trim .82A/R ADC turbo, SPEC Stage 3, Torsen, Greddy Profec-B SPEC II, Apex'i Timer, Lots of Gauges! Used to have: 3.0L SVT hybrid

Moderated by  Andy W._dup1, GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard