Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1551879 04/18/06 12:51 AM
A
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
A
I've searched through the posts and haven't seen anything related to a USB OBDII scanner. I don't have a serial port on my laptop and don't really want to use a serial to USB convertor. Anyone use anything like what I am looking for or have any info. Thanks, ACE

A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
Why not use a converter?

-Philip Maynard '95 Contour [71 STS | Track Whore] '97 Miata [71 ES | Boulevard Pimp] 2006 autocross results
A
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
A
And as a quick version...had an emissions light on...was going to get the MIL eliminators, but it went away after a couple of tanks of gas, so I assumed it was a bad tank of gas. THen I changed my oil for the first time today (went to 5W30 Mobil 1 from 10W30 which the previous owner used...had a spare case in my garage....used 6.5 quarts) Any ideas would be appreciated as well, but I'm sick of that light controlling my life and would like to be able to see what it is telling me, regardless of the problem.

M
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
M
This thing is cool. I've been using this thing and it kicks but. I bet you could afford a usb adapter if you bought it, unless using one was against your religion or something.

Black 1998.5 3L Oval Port Full HMS Transmission Lots of other stuff Ressurected 06/14/06
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
Just go get it read at Autozone for free, then.

-Philip Maynard '95 Contour [71 STS | Track Whore] '97 Miata [71 ES | Boulevard Pimp] 2006 autocross results
A
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
A
Originally posted by muntus:
This thing is cool. I've been using this thing and it kicks but. I bet you could afford a usb adapter if you bought it, unless using one was against your religion or something.

Just have had bad luck with them in a few instances in the past...I could get a port replicator as well...just wanted to see if there was an actual product someone hs used first. In my experience, Windows XP x64 doesn't like adaptors in general

B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B

That looks really interesting. Is it just a code reader, or does it include software to scan so you can read values in real time?

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited
Y
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
Y
I believe the S/W determines whether you can scan real time. The site reports there are several free S/W packages available so you might have to experiment of ask others there experiences.

I have Alex Pepper's OBD-2 TRICOM device. His provided S/W permits real time data logging.

96 Contour 2.5L 148K ATX rebuilt 2X
M
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
M
Originally posted by Big Jim:

That looks really interesting. Is it just a code reader, or does it include software to scan so you can read values in real time?

It scans the codes and it can check the values of your sensors. With it, you can also turn off the check engine light, allowing the option of not having to reset your clock and radio stations.

I use this software. Since I'm currently in California, I can't get my codes read at the Autozone, so this actually saved me about $250 in diagnosing fees when I was fixing my mom's Taurus. It paid for itself on the first day and now I can use it on almost every car.

Black 1998.5 3L Oval Port Full HMS Transmission Lots of other stuff Ressurected 06/14/06
H
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
H
I've been using a serial to usb converter in my senior design project without a hitch. I'll check out the model and post it up soon.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard