Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
I sure would like to know the source of your information.

Must be that jumbly-wumbly thing happening again.
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
http://www.idsfa.net/miata/lugnuts/page1.jpg
http://www.idsfa.net/miata/lugnuts/page2.jpg

There are many cars that run around with no contact betwen the hubs and wheels. Miata guys seem to have no issues at all. I assure you, wheel studs are NOT a shear-loaded member! Stazi says so, and most people here believe him, since he designs this stuff for a living. Check out the new and old HC rings threads for more info. There's one thing Stazi, Weargle and I all agree on, and have from the beginning: once the wheels are on, the studs bear no shear loads, whether rings are there or not!

-Philip Maynard '95 Contour [71 STS | Track Whore] '97 Miata [71 ES | Boulevard Pimp] 2006 autocross results
G
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
G
Originally posted by Pete 6.0:

And make sure you take the rotor retaining clips off the lugs.

what is that?

L
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
L
well where do they go and how do i get them?

do they fit the car or my wheels?

L
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
L

G
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
G

T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
So let me get this straight; you're taking it as gospel even though it might as well be scribbling on a coctail napkin.

Frankly, I'd like to know from a manufacturer like Ford, GM, Mazda, or any of the others, why they choose to have an extended hub that projects into a precisely sized hole in the wheel center on pretty much ALL of their vehicles. Why do they have such hub centers of differing sizes on various vehicles? Seems to me it would make sense to have them all the same size so you could interchange wheels freely and possibly save on some manufacturing costs.

Additionally, how much force do you suppose is exerted onto a wheel when a car rolls through a pot hole at 45 mph? Seems to me that forces approaching the 10x margin of safety are not outside the rhelm of posibility, especially if the car is going around a turn 'cause then you add the stresses of that lateral load on a relatively soft alloy wheel. Nasty stuff...

Maybe I'll do a little research of my own...

T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
Wikipedia:

Centerbore
The centerbore of a wheel is the size of the hole in the back of the wheel that centers it over the mounting hub of the car. Factory wheels have a centerbore that matches exactly with the hub to reduce vibration by keeping the wheel centered. Wheels with the correct centerbore to the car they will be mounted on are known as hubcentric. Hubcentric wheels take the stress off the lug nuts, reducing the job of the lug nuts to holding the wheel to the car. Wheels that are not hubcentric are known as lugcentric, as the job of centering is done by the lug nuts assuming they are properly torqued down. Centerbore on aftermarket wheels must be greater than or equal to that of the car or the wheel will not physically mount to the car. Many aftermarket wheels come with hubcentric rings that lock into the back of the wheel to center it like a factory wheel, usually made of plastic.

Edit:
Well, seems you're right & I'm wrong. However, I would never go without the rings for the reason described in this link.

Last edited by TourDeForce; 04/19/06 06:01 AM.

W
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
W
Originally posted by Auto-X Fil:
Originally posted by TourDeForce:
The hub carries the weight of the car.

No! The friction between the rotor hat and the wheel face hold the weight.

Y'all need to pass that tish that you're smoking.

Whirling dervish of FFOG.
T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
You have an opinion to share weargle?

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  1314_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard