Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
L
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
L
hey all,

i just got my 19s in and i am not home with my car but my dad said that the lug studs seem a lot smaller than the holes in the wheels. they fit and all, but he said they dont seem right? could there be a problem or what should i do. i cant see it for myself because i am a few states away but what could this be, or is he just worried about them not fitting? shouldnt they just lock down with the lug nuts, and btw we dont have lugs on yet hes just holding the rim on the studs with no tires either. well let me know what you guys think. and ill try to get more info from him later.....thanx

A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
That's fine. The tapered lugnuts will center the stud in the tapered hole in the wheel.

-Philip Maynard '95 Contour [71 STS | Track Whore] '97 Miata [71 ES | Boulevard Pimp] 2006 autocross results
L
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
L
ok i hope so, its just hard being that im not near the car and cant see what he sees. thanx tho

T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
Make sure hub centric rings get installed.

Must be that jumbly-wumbly thing happening again.
G
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
G
Originally posted by TourDeForce:

yes that and make sure ur rims and tires are properly balanced with full allignment..I just did all that on mine and man o man the car is absoloutly smooth on the highway

G
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
G
Originally posted by Goonz SVT:

yes that and make sure ur rims and tires are properly balanced with full allignment..I just did all that on mine and man o man the car is absoloutly smooth on the highway

And make sure you take the rotor retaining clips off the lugs.

Capitol CEG Classifieds Make an offer! 2005 GTO IBM - 337hp/336tq
L
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
L
well what are hubcentric rings?

do i need them?

should i have them from old wheels or where do i get them?

thanx

A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
There's a recent thread on this. A hubcentric ring is a plastic or metal ring that fits the hub to the hole in the wheel. They are theoretically unecessary, but make mounting more foolproof, and take the load off the studs if something doesn't work like it's supposed to.

-Philip Maynard '95 Contour [71 STS | Track Whore] '97 Miata [71 ES | Boulevard Pimp] 2006 autocross results
T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
The hub carries the weight of the car. The lugs are designed to hold the wheel to the hub, but not to support the weight of the car. That is why so many people end up popping lugs off and losing wheels in the street.

Many aftermarket wheels will have a hub opening that is large enough for the biggest application of the wheel. The consumer (you) driving a car with a slightly smaller hub needs to fill that gap with a hubcentric ring so the hub holds the weight of the car - not the lugs.

I don't really know where to find them as I've always purchased wheels that are a direct fit for my cars.

Must be that jumbly-wumbly thing happening again.
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
The hub carries the weight of the car.

No! The friction between the rotor hat and the wheel face hold the weight. Under extreme conditions, especially if the metal surfaces in contact are greasy/dirty/rusted, there is a small amount of movement. This causes fretting of the surfaces, and fatigue wear on the lugs. This is one reason to use HC rings: they help reduce this motion. The other is that they make it much easier to mount the wheel.

Also, think about this: when I decelerate at nearly 1G, I'm transmitting a huge amount of force RADIALLY through the wheel/hub/hat interface. It's sure not going through the hub, since it's a radial force, and it can't be going through the lugs or they'd break: it's being borne by the friction force that also holds the weight of the car.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  1314_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard