Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
F
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
I'm going to be in Baltimore for a conference the second week of May and am considering having my family fly out with me so that they can tour DC and Baltimore while I'm busy learning about Employee Retirement plans.....

I'd prefer to use mass-transit than rent a car, any fast & easy way to DC from Baltimore? If it matters I'm staying on the waterfront in Baltimore.

Also, anything cool in Baltimore that's historical or good for a 11yo kid to do?

Thanks

Money doesn't always bring happiness. People with ten million dollars are no happier than people with nine million dollars ~ Hobart Brown
M
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
M
I can not say how good/cheap/close to harbor it is but the MARC train runs from baltimore/D.C. at some hours(not sure if it is just commuter hours or if it is more normal hours also)

For schedules/maps.
http://www.mtamaryland.com/

also once you are in D.C. the situation gets a little better.
http://www.wmata.com/

I don't know historical unless you rent a car and go out to the harpers ferry area but I am sure somebody else know more about baltimore historical stuff than I do.

As for educational I would look at (in baltimore)
maryland science center
http://www.mdsci.org/
and the National Aquarium
http://www.aqua.org/

But I don't know what you have in your area that might be like that type of stuff.

Beaten - 2003 MazdaSpeed Protege 29K <- broken hearted Daily/Weekend Beater - 1990 miata 138K - AutoX every weekend = Adult driven on weekends
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Waterfront, as in Inner Harbor? Besides the aquarium, the The Submarine Tork and USCG Cutter. If you don't mind walking 15 to 20 blocks, the B and O Train Museum is a treat for kids and adults.

Last edited by Tony2005; 04/15/06 01:30 AM.

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
J
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
J
Originally posted by Tony2005:
Waterfront, as in Inner Harbor? Besides the aquarium, the The Submarine Tork and USCG Cutter.

Definitely the aquarium. There's a lot of shopping/restaurants in the Inner Harbor, too. And there's a really tall skyscraper there that has an observation deck at the top.

"Think of it, if you like, as a librarian with a G-string under the tweed." Clarkson on the Mondeo.
F
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
Inner Harbor, Harbor East is the location of the Hotel.

Money doesn't always bring happiness. People with ten million dollars are no happier than people with nine million dollars ~ Hobart Brown
O
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
O
I work for the MTA and we only have the Marc train system
from baltimore to DC.The subway runs only on the westside
of baltimore and the Light Rail also.You can water taxi
from the Harbor to fells point and few other locations.
Yellow transportation taxi cabs are always at the Inner
Harbor East.The light rail will bring you from BWI airport
to baltimore.You can always ride our New Flyer transit
buses around baltimore.I hope you don,t get one the old buses to ride almost as ugly as DC transit
Good Luck and enjoy Baltimore
BTW the Orioles suck!

New Pics of OUTKAST 1!Sept2006
S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
From Inner Harbor, walk 5 - 10 minutes to the Orioles Park at the Camdam Yard, then you can take the Camdam line of Marc train to DC's Union Station. From Union Station, you can take the red line Metro (sub way) to the Smithsonian (The National Mall) where all museums are free. Union Station is very close to the Capital. Most of the museums open between 8:30 - 5:00 (I believe but google it for sure).
Almost all spots worth of sightseeing in DC can be reached by Metro. Red line for the Smithsonian, blue line for Arlington Cementry. When at Union Station, tourists can pick up many free tour flyers or maps or booklets showing the spots.

In fact, Orioles is not that bad. The ball park is very nice. It's right next to the Raven's park, which is also a very modern ball park.

98 Silver Frost E0 SVT. 1011/6535. DOB 05/16/97 Owned since new. Optimized y-pipe. Bosal Exhaust w/ silencer inserts. K&N intake w/ MAF. Ford Racing 9mm wires. 05 Saab 9-2X Aero Satin Grey. Cobbs Accessport Stage 2.

Moderated by  Andy W._dup1, GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard