Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#1549322 04/14/06 03:11 AM
L
Lou3 Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
L
I'd like to wake up my Zetec and am thinking about starting with the intake. I've heard that a K&N filter will make a difference, but I'm wondering if something like a KKM Tru-Rev system is that much better than a K&N to justify the extra expense. I'm just looking to optimize the stock settings, not build a racer.

#1549323 04/14/06 04:51 AM
M
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
M
just a filter isnt gonna do a whole lot. granted if its an open end cone, it is going to be a little more responsive, but go the extra mile and take a look at sleeperz's intake setup in the stickies

im running it right now, and i can tell you that it deffinatly woke up my zetec!

kevin m 98 T-red mystique gs zetec ATX | my ride |
#1549324 04/14/06 05:15 AM
H
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
H
I just so happen to have what you request!
Hey Mods sticky me so I don't have to keep telling kids how to do this one! Thanx!

J.T.'s MERC-0-MATIC SHORT RAM HYBRID INTAKE

Step 1!
Go down to your local Autozone and buy:
-3" silicone connector w/clamps

-3" inlet paper-media cylindrical air filter. Part# should be PA**** for a Purolator.

-3M or Scotch brand packing tape. The kind with the fibers inside.

-(optional) aftermarket breather filter.

-Flat-head screwdriver, 1/4 inch driver ratchet with 9 or 10mm socket for battery ground nut.

Step2!
Installation!

A. Open up hood and disconnect battery ground by loosening nut and removing black (negative) cable from battery.

B.unclip top of stock airbox from bottom.

C. GENTLY unclip and remove MAF from upper portion of stock airbox. set airbox aside and disconnect electrical connector from MAF. KEEP TRACK OF THE CLIP!!!!

D. Unloop rubber retaining band from far driver-side of the lower airbox. Hold onto this band in case you want to return to stock. Carefully pull back rubber connector from lower airbox that leads to the driver-side fender. Remove stock breather filter assembly from airbox(it's in the corner and attached to a tube. A hose leading from the valve cover is on the outside) If you twist it, it will come out without too much trouble, just keep trying. You can either keep the stocker or install the aftermarket breather here. Then GENTLY pull lower airbox out of retainers. It may take a bit of effort, but don't get rough with it.

E.(PRE98 ONLY, Post98 skip this step!) remove tubing and MAF from the intake resonator (the plastic thing above your ignition coil). Use packing tape to cover hole in intake tubing across from IAT sensor. Be careful not to pull the IAT wiring out. Better yet, just remove the connector beforehand, however be SURE you reconnect it.

F. Reconnect tubing to resonator but not MAF yet. Remove rubber ring from MAF if you have a metallic one, not so sure about the Post 98s. Slip 3" silicone connector over MAF. IT may take some effort, but it will fit. Tighten MAF side hose clamp.

G. Insert air filter inlet into 3"connector with MAF. I know this sounds retarded, but make sure you put the clamp on the connector before you put the filter in the connector. It saves time and frustration;). Tighten filter-side clamp.

H. insert MAF into intake plenum/resonator tubing and tighten clamp. Make the filter fit how you want it to in your engine bay, as many people don't have the same size batteries, there is no specific setup here, so just make it fit.

I. Reconnect MAF and IAT sensor connectors. Remember to re-clip the MAF connector.

J. Reconnect battery ground and start her up. Drive around for a while and let the ECU relearn with the new air intake. After the computer adjusts, you should notice markedly improved throttle response and slightly faster 1/4 mile times, along with a certain intake howl with certain brands of filters. The FRAM made the most distinct howl, but the Purolator provided the best ETs. I went from an 18.7 to an 18.4 under good conditions both times. I'm not making an absolute guarantee, but that's what you might expect. IF you have any questions PM me. I'll try and get GS474 to post a pic of the setup. I did his for him. Alas my Merc is no longer ...

Step 3!
Enjoy!!

J.T. 2002 Chevrolet Silverado 294ci V8. Custom CAI, headers on the way... 1997 Mercury Mystique Zetec ATX Deceased February 2006
#1549325 04/14/06 06:06 PM
G
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
G
when it was first installed i had to clean out my maf but after i cleaned the maf i can get wheel speen on some roads

witch previously wasn't possible

Last edited by GS474; 04/14/06 06:17 PM.

1996 zetec atx 19.3381 at 71.51 mph 1/4 mile click me for an interesting sitea wbsite you should check outjoined the 100k+ club 5/21/06
#1549326 04/14/06 08:07 PM
K
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
K
Originally posted by Hydramatic:

-3M or Scotch brand packing tape. The kind with the fibers inside.

Just wondering would duck tape work? I don't have the packing tape. I need that hole pluged, that thing sticking out over the ignition coil is useless.

My ride(Cardomain link) : '95 Contour 16V Zetec DOHC, Teal , ATX Born on Sep. 4, 1995 86+ miles *LEDs mods are on their way!*
#1549327 04/14/06 09:05 PM
P
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
P
just go the junkyard and get a post 98 tube w/ iat on it, it removes the one intake resonator.

96' ATX Zetec- stock 96' ATX Zetec- Modded Kenwood KDC-319 5.75"-2 MTX 12's Roady XT Custom door panels Mystique Cluster/oil pressure Getting repainted(in primer) Pre98 Lip SE skirts Mystique front lip dingless badgeless
#1549328 04/14/06 11:09 PM
H
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
H
Yeah. Duct tape will work. Just don't use anything too flammable. It looks better if you install a Post 98 intake tube though. I used tape.

J.T. 2002 Chevrolet Silverado 294ci V8. Custom CAI, headers on the way... 1997 Mercury Mystique Zetec ATX Deceased February 2006
#1549329 04/15/06 01:19 AM
A
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
A
if you can find one... get a used CTA motorsports air intake, every time I get on the gas pedal and hear that thing wake up I get a little grin on my face. It has never let me down and never ceases to amaize me... How a little Air intake for a I4 can be louder then my exhaust.

98 Corolla LE 1.8L DOHC 1ZZFE TEIN H.Tech Springs Tokico HP series Struts Short ram air intake Tsudo Axel Back Exhaust ... if a jelly fish stung me.. would you pee on the wound?
#1549330 04/15/06 04:19 AM
K
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
K
Originally posted by AliasJerkââ??¢:
if you can find one... get a used CTA motorsports air intake, every time I get on the gas pedal and hear that thing wake up I get a little grin on my face. It has never let me down and never ceases to amaize me... How a little Air intake for a I4 can be louder then my exhaust.

If I get luck enough and find a CTA for a resonable price, I'd get it, the only problem would be to make a IAT hole for me Contour.

Right now, I have stick w/ stock cause I just got a K&N filter.

My ride(Cardomain link) : '95 Contour 16V Zetec DOHC, Teal , ATX Born on Sep. 4, 1995 86+ miles *LEDs mods are on their way!*
#1549331 04/15/06 04:40 AM
A
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
A
Originally posted by Kerry2Kool4U:
Originally posted by AliasJerkââ??¢:

If I get luck enough and find a CTA for a resonable price, I'd get it, the only problem would be to make a IAT hole for me Contour.

Right now, I have stick w/ stock cause I just got a K&N filter.

ummm the CTA intake is designed for the contour... All of mine bolted right up.

98 Corolla LE 1.8L DOHC 1ZZFE TEIN H.Tech Springs Tokico HP series Struts Short ram air intake Tsudo Axel Back Exhaust ... if a jelly fish stung me.. would you pee on the wound?
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Loco4G63 

Link Copied to Clipboard