Next Thread
Print Thread
#1548873 04/13/06 05:18 AM
N
Nem Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Hi guys,

I just wanted to know what your opinion is on the 1996 Contour GL 4 cylinder.

I've heard comments ranging from "It's a wonderful car.." to "I wouldn't make my worst enemy drive this thing.."

And since I have one, I just wanted to know what you guys think of them..

I did a search to make sure there wasn't a topic on this, and I double checked to make sure this is the right place to post.

So any opinion is worth hearing =) Thanks!

M
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
M
well its all really up to the car and owner. if the car has had regular maintanence done to it, and hasnt been beat on...too much, it sould be a great car that will last a long time! the zetec is a great little engine!

on the other hand, if it hasent had an oil change since the warrentee was up, and its been beat on, a daily baises, chances are it just might be a huge headache for you.
its really all how you look at it and how well the car has been maintained!

good luck!

kevin m 98 T-red mystique gs zetec ATX | my ride |
N
Nem Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Wow, thanks for the fast reply

I don't think it's been beat on too much, but I did buy it used sooo...

Anyways I just am still wondering about it being a good, reliable and dependable car, or if it's not even a good car to begin with.

I know mine has a few little quirks, and it's getting serviced on Friday, but it runs pretty good for it's age and the amount of mileage it has on it, which is about 110000 miles.

B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
Welcome to the site , Nem .

I think you'll be OK with the Contour for a while , especially having a Zetec engine . They're usually a pretty darn reliable engine , and the early ones don't have the VCT issues that the later ones sometimes have . Plus , they take pretty well to modding . If you continue regular , ritualistic maintenance , the car should give you many more miles of driving fun .

~~~~~~~ Phil Black & Tan 2000 SVT Contour #2137 of 2150 35,000 miles & counting !
J
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
J
I've been driving a '96 Contour Zetec for 10 years now. Most reliable car I've ever owned (so far).

'96 GL Contour Zetec I4 mtx
J
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
J
Originally posted by Nem:
I just wanted to know what your opinion is on the 1996 Contour GL 4 cylinder.

Auto or manual? The auto is OK, utilitarian, gets you around, but the acceleration is just sufficient. If that's what you've got, work on the suspension and brakes and make the rest of the driving experience as fun as you can. If it's a manual, all the better.

We had a '96 GL...sold it with about 60K-65K miles because I wanted my wife to have something newer and with more modern crash protection (even though the Contour crash performance tends to be good, side airbags and LATCH carseat attachment points, etc. are compelling when you bring children into the picture), and the GL was starting to give hints of needing some substantial service attention.

"Think of it, if you like, as a librarian with a G-string under the tweed." Clarkson on the Mondeo.
Z
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
Z
Mines been one heck of a car. It's a 96, 4 banger, ATX. One of the more reliable cars I've seen in my family. Right up there competiting with our taurus's. Starts up fine everytime.

96 Contour GL 2.0, ATX "Herman" 101K "A Clean zetec is happy zetec"

Moderated by  GTO Pete, Trapps_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard