Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
Originally posted by 5speed3.0SE�®:
you obviously didnt have your tierods and balljoints off...

I've been doin this for 30 years...

I live in Detroit, I couldn't give a **** how good my car is in the "twisties." "I could use a hundred people who don't know there is such a word as impossible." ~Henry Ford
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
Something I forgot to mention:

This was NOT just rebuilt recently, it was about 1.5 years ago. This trans had 14,000 miles of trouble free operation and then this suddenly happened.

I live in Detroit, I couldn't give a **** how good my car is in the "twisties." "I could use a hundred people who don't know there is such a word as impossible." ~Henry Ford
W
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
W
Originally posted by GetLucky151�©:

Well...stock diff...key words right there.

But otherwise, how the hell do you drive??

Why? Looks like the differential carrier bearings went out, has NOT A THING to do with the differential being stock!

If the bearings went out first it would have to do with Materiel Failure caused by any number of reasons.

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black
G
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
G
Originally posted by warmonger:
Originally posted by GetLucky151�©:

Well...stock diff...key words right there.

But otherwise, how the hell do you drive??

Why? Looks like the differential carrier bearings went out, has NOT A THING to do with the differential being stock!

If the bearings went out first it would have to do with Materiel Failure caused by any number of reasons.

exactly what i said. u must not of understood.

Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, this time more intelligently.
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
Just an FYI for everyone:

The trans will be going back to terry for investigation to see what really went wrong. This in no way means he is responsible for anything, it could easily be faulty parts from ford or a number of other things. We will know more once I can get it all out there. Let's not jump to any conclusions.

W
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
W
Originally posted by 99SVT:
Just an FYI for everyone:

The trans will be going back to terry for investigation to see what really went wrong. This in no way means he is responsible for anything, it could easily be faulty parts from ford or a number of other things. We will know more once I can get it all out there. Let's not jump to any conclusions.

That is good. It will be really hard to tell what caused those parts to start failing so I wouldn't even try to pin down a exact cause of events.
I mean I know you can tell what failed and in some cases what led to what, but you won't know if it was just a faulty bearing roller/race versus some other part that broke and started causing abnormal wear that led to this.

Unless of course you say it was redline fluid. Then we'll all know what the verdict will be irregardless. BTW, it doesn't look like the fluid was failing to get into those areas, just that something was failing and the material was ginding away.
I would like to point out something stated before that as metal grinds away it will form a paste with the available lubricant and then cause a blockage preventing additional lubrication; even if the lubricant wasn't originally at fault.

BTW, what kind of lube did you have in there anyway?

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
Mobile 1 ATF + XL7 Friction Modifier...seemed to be the most recommended fluid at the time.

S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
Inner ring raceway fatigue. From what I can see in the pictures.

Usual causes for this failure:
Contaminated Lube
Insufficient Lube
Improper Installation (too much or too little clearance/preload)
Poor heat treat on raceway (too soft).

2000 SVT Turbo 295hp/269ftlb@12psi #1 for Bendix Brakes Kits! Knuckles rebuilt w/new bearings $55 AUSSIE ENDLINKS $70 Gutted pre-cats $80/set A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine!
M
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
M
Mobile 1 ATF + XL7 Friction Modifier...seemed to be the most recommended fluid at the time.

I had this in my trans when it broke, but totally diff circumstances. I may be going out on a limb here and say that I think this cocktail helped wear my synchros out faster. I had the stuff in for less than 3 months and then my 3rd gear started to say FU. At 5 months or so my shift tower broke...unrelated.

Any thoughts on this...my claim is without lubelogical expertise sooo...grain of salt.

Born again on 04/09/06 FOR SALE: Moonroof glass and motor MB sunshade PM ME!
Y
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
Y
Originally posted by mapoftazifoshoââ??¢:

I had this in my trans when it broke, but totally diff circumstances. I may be going out on a limb here and say that I think this cocktail helped wear my synchros out faster. I had the stuff in for less than 3 months and then my 3rd gear started to say FU. At 5 months or so my shift tower broke...unrelated.

Any thoughts on this...my claim is without lubelogical expertise sooo...grain of salt.

I've had mine in for quite a bit longer than that, and the tranny shifts great.

Mark

2000 Black CSVT 3.0L Hybrid - 206fwhp & 195fwtq
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RoadRunner_dup1, unisys12 

Link Copied to Clipboard