Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
G
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
G
Okay so i'm facing a bit of a problem... I discovered some time after purchasing my car that the previous owner removed the main cat. When i first got it, it needed inspection. I took it to the same place my family got all our cars done and it passed. But the people that work there looked like they didnt care. Well that place has since closed down and i'm stuck with a car that probably shouldn't have passed emissions the last time.

From the precats back, the pipe is not the stock pipe. It honestly looks like the BAT high flow Cat and Y but with the cat chopped off and a Y welded in. Heres some pictures of what i mean. (i need better ones i know, i'll try and get them tomorrow).

Stock SVT Exhaust:

My Exhaust:

BAT Y & Cat:

Welded in Y:

My thoughts are to just make it legal and not risk failing inspection and getting screwed into having a cat put in at whatever shop we take it to, or paying to get it inspected twice.

What would you reccomend... As i see it, i have a few options. 1. Get a high flow cat that will fit after the Y I have (i dont know if it will fit). 2. Have some kind of shorter Y made so that it will allow room for a cat. 3. Replace everything from precats back with the Bat Y & Cat. I would prefer not to do 3 because the piping up to the hacked up Y is good.

I also plan on having the resonator replaced with a magnaflow at the time that i have this done...

I'm open to any suggestions. And yes i do live in a county that requires emissions.

Anyone want to trade their Bat high flow for mine? (assuming that the papers saying the cat is legal can be transfered... i honestly dont know what i'm talking about when it comes to the legal aspects of this)

And i might add that i'm a poor college student on a limited budget... (the only reason i'm doing the resonator too is because it'd probably be cheaper to have it all done at once...)

~Ryan 1999 T-Red SVT Contour 41k Miles #1701 / 2760 B&M, Custom Y-Pipe, Alpine HU, Pioneer 6x8's & 6x9's
M
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
M
i think you will be fine.. as long as ur not throwing a CEL you should pass.. i think they just hook up a scanner to ur OBD2 port and check for CEL's and if you dont have one you pass

Mark 1998 T-Red SVT -Needs more Go 1999 Light Prairie Tan, Se Zetec www.cardomain.com/id/tour4reak
G
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
G
Originally posted by Tour4reak:
i think you will be fine.. as long as ur not throwing a CEL you should pass.. i think they just hook up a scanner to ur OBD2 port and check for CEL's and if you dont have one you pass

yeah thats what i thought too, but all it would take would be some place down the road to do a visual inspection and see that theres no cat. This is why i'm debating this... I'd almost rather just do it now and not worry (and have an excuse to do the resonator )

I dont know how they are supposed to do it in my area... i've heard everything from the scan that you mentioned, to a visual inspection for the emissions equipment, to the exhaust "sniffer" or whatever it is that they hook up to your pipes.

~Ryan 1999 T-Red SVT Contour 41k Miles #1701 / 2760 B&M, Custom Y-Pipe, Alpine HU, Pioneer 6x8's & 6x9's
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
96+ cars do not have a visual inspection. only gas cap and obd2. as long as your car doesnt have the CEL on, you will pass, provided the driving cycle has been completed (meaning you didnt disconnect the abttery right ebfore testing)

i know this for a fact.....as im a licensed PA emissions inspector

Russell Oval Port 3L Nearly Done MTX75 w/ Homebrew Zetec FD and Torsen Complete
G
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
G
Originally posted by Russell-3L:
96+ cars do not have a visual inspection. only gas cap and obd2. as long as your car doesnt have the CEL on, you will pass, provided the driving cycle has been completed (meaning you didnt disconnect the abttery right ebfore testing)

i know this for a fact.....as im a licensed PA emissions inspector

awesome! thanks! Any chance i could bring it to your shop when i need it done?

One other thing i'm curious about is that the BAT pipe says something about an O2 sensor... which i see nowhere on mine...

G
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
G
Ryan, did you get to check to see if you have MIL's? If you don't, I would think you would have to have O2 sensors on there somewhere, or you'd be getting a CEL.

Scott Mabe I WILL be Phil. 1999 Contour SVT, Tropic Green BAT kit, K&N RU-3530+MAF, Magnecore 8.5mm, some audio goodies, Hightowers, Knauberized, tatoo by Parkedcar.
G
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
G
Originally posted by getsum111:
Ryan, did you get to check to see if you have MIL's? If you don't, I would think you would have to have O2 sensors on there somewhere, or you'd be getting a CEL.

Where would i look to see if i had these?

P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
MIL's go in place of o2 sensors to prevent the car from throwing engine codes.

They're in the same place as the stock o2 sensors. The stock sensors look like cylindrical plugs with wires on end, while the MIL's are covered by a sleeve of heavy duty gray plastic (at least mine are) They look different, I can't explain it any better sorry.

G
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
G
Not sure, I don't think I've seen them ON a car before. Now I feel dumb!

Scott Mabe I WILL be Phil. 1999 Contour SVT, Tropic Green BAT kit, K&N RU-3530+MAF, Magnecore 8.5mm, some audio goodies, Hightowers, Knauberized, tatoo by Parkedcar.

Moderated by  GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard