Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 21 of 29 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 28 29
#1545842 05/19/06 02:36 PM
J
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
J
The only thing that will cause that PCM to fry would be major shorts on the wireharness. They don't know crap about electronics. Which again means they didn't bother checking the harness, and throwing parts. a ohm check of the 68 pin harness should tell them if there is a major short. and would tell them if its safe to plug in another computer.

It would be like me saying to a customer when going to fix there projection tv, that you have no red color, so I'm going to replace the red projection crt and not bother checking the circuits related to it first. And that lamp is 300 but if thats not the problem you have to cover it (though I have the equipment to check projo crts and restore them..)

here is an offer. a. let me know what it will be to tow it back to your house, and I will help ya. b. sounds like the car is closer to me, so we tow it here. c. I take it off your hands and we work out a price.

JD a.k.a Fingers "Don't Panic" '98 Contour GL 2.0L VCT ATX 88k '98 Contour LX 2.5L MTX 120k Street racing can kill just less of a chance with a 2.0
#1545843 05/19/06 07:58 PM
J
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
J
I'm gathering that now. The service drpt at Pride Ford is a bunch of High School punks that don't know a wiring harness from a hot rock.

I'm willing to bet that they don't even have a set of maintenance manuals for a Contour on CD, computer, or even in a book.

Their dummies want to throw in a new computer and that will tell them whats wrong. If the new comp. immediately fries then they know there is a elecrical problemin the harness that they will not troubleshoot, they'll just make you buy another rather than ohm it out like a professional tech who knows what they are doing. If the new comp. that they put in doesn't fry and continues to work then they at least know the original comp. is fried and they have a unit that is known to be good so they can test from there.

I'm ready to roll heads, these guys don't know their $##%$ from hot rocks. They are a disgrace to the maintenance community. It makes me want to get a job at a dealer, never think, never use my head, always play dumb, extort money from innocent people and get paid way too much to do it.

I'm mad enough to say that if you need to roll heads I will be there and I will bring help.

I feel sorry for the people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, thats the best they're going to feel all day - former President Lyndon B. Johnson
E
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
E
It is all in the hands of an older experienced mechanic at the dealership. He spent at least an hour (at $80 per) testing wiring today. He believes the wiring to be good. He is going to put the computer in tomorrow afternoon and we will see. HOPEFULLY it was just the computers time to go.

If the computer fires up and reads something expensive, we are done. I may take JD28 up on his offer to buy it, but you would be responsible to towing it home... With gas prices, etc. we have already paid like $250 in towing over this adventure.

I posted a thread in General looking for suggestions, but that was before I saw JD28's reply. I appreciate your offer of the heads rolling. I have been so mad at them that I am no longer allowed to call them. My wife is dealing with them. I can't say anything to them without it being loaded with sarcasm.

Anyway, post some ideas about what to do with it:

Thread

This sucks.

MUST SELL - ECM computer new for a 98 V6 mtx + pats Now trolling in a Red Nissan 4 x 4
E
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
E
Originally posted by Bicycle commuter :
It is all in the hands of an older experienced mechanic at the dealership. He spent at least an hour (at $80 per) testing wiring today. He believes the wiring to be good. He is going to put the computer in tomorrow afternoon and we will see. HOPEFULLY it was just the computers time to go.

If the computer fires up and reads something expensive, we are done. I may take JD28 up on his offer to buy it, but you would be responsible to towing it home... With gas prices, etc. we have already paid like $250 in towing over this adventure.

I posted a thread in General looking for suggestions, but that was before I saw JD28's reply. I appreciate your offer of the heads rolling. I have been so mad at them that I am no longer allowed to call them. My wife is dealing with them. I can't say anything to them without it being loaded with sarcasm.

Anyway, post some ideas about what to do with it:

Thread

This sucks.

So I'm done.

New PCM went in, give the error code of PCM no communication to E4, which we were told is the wiring harness. They are saying $800 for the PCM (which is fried) $1100 for harness and $600+ for harness labor. New PCM has been taken out and returned.

I don't want to be but I am done with our Contour. I can't afford that amount to fix it, and I am just sick of not having a car. I'm not sure, and really don't have anymore time to try and fix it myself. Even though saying that MAKES ME SICK.

Anyone know a place that has OK used, CHEAP cars? haha

PM with an offer if anyone wants it.

It's a 1998 V6 MTX. It has about 120,XXX miles. It was running fine prior to this electrical problems. It is probably due for the UIM/ LIM teardown and clean.

It has a new starter, new Camshaft sensor, new crankshaft sensor, new R16 relay. Others...

It is in North Attleboro, MA near Pride Ford. It would have to be towed to you. I do have the title and 2 keys, but cannot afford to waste anymore $$ towing it places.

MUST SELL - ECM computer new for a 98 V6 mtx + pats Now trolling in a Red Nissan 4 x 4
J
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
J
hmmm... i bet that pcm isn't fried. but anyway what would you ask for it? I don't think it's worth more than 2.5k running. also my offer stands if you want to take a crack at it one last time. I say your missing 12+ or ground, and they don't know what there doing. I'm outa work 2 more weeks so really have no problem going up there.

JD a.k.a Fingers "Don't Panic" '98 Contour GL 2.0L VCT ATX 88k '98 Contour LX 2.5L MTX 120k Street racing can kill just less of a chance with a 2.0
#1545847 05/22/06 08:42 PM
E
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
E
Originally posted by jd28:
hmmm... i bet that pcm isn't fried. but anyway what would you ask for it? I don't think it's worth more than 2.5k running. also my offer stands if you want to take a crack at it one last time. I say your missing 12+ or ground, and they don't know what there doing. I'm outa work 2 more weeks so really have no problem going up there.

I make try to take you up on your offer of taking a look at it, but I couldn't do it for a while, MAYBE Saturday...

Thanks,

mt

#1545848 05/22/06 08:49 PM
J
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
J
anyday (not raining) with in the next 2 weeks is fine with me. just let me know and i'll drive up. Don't mind helpping people, aslong as I don't break another finger

#1545849 05/23/06 04:20 PM
C
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
C
Well, I'm ashamed at this dealer's handling of the situation. What I would do now that your dealings with them are through, is to give them a really bad review on the survey they send to you. I have a feeling that the survey may not be sent to you because they know you're pissed, but call Ford directly and be sure to have them send you a survey. The mother company (FoMoCo) actually takes the surveys seriously. Everytime I go to my dealers (Concord Lincoln Mercury and Grappone Ford) they tell me to make sure to say that I was completely satisfied with the service, because bad reviews affect each individual dealer. Ultimately, if there are enough bad reviews, FoMoCo can cancel the contract to sell the dealer Ford vehicles, basically putting them out of business. I'm sure this has happened somewhere. Its part of the customer satisfaction initiative that FoMoCo started a few years ago.

When I went to Concord Lincoln Mercury to have my dash warp fixed under the recall that expired soon, they said my car didn't show signs of needing the recall done. But I said, "What if it does in the future? The recall had expired and I'm going to have to pay for it?" They basically said yes and started giving me the attitude that dealers usually give. It really worried me, because they had been so good and I was telling everyone they were. They screwed cruises8 over too, making me look like an idiot!! So I called the 800 Ford number and filed an official complaint. They told me to go to the closest Ford dealer (Grappone) and see what they say. I'm not sure, but I think FoMoCo called and said I was coming, because they did the recall, no questions asked. They scratched one of my A-pillars too, and when I showed them, they replaced it without haste!! I brought the car back to Concord Lincoln Mercury and showed them, and the service manager, who I got along well with previously, was a prick. Shortly after all this he was transferred to another dealer. I like to think my complaint, along with others fueled an investigation by FoMoCo and the owner of the dealer basically made the guy leave.

I also learned since, that Concord Lincoln Mercury has 3 master mechanics, where most dealers only have one, or in some cases none!! They're electrical guy is awesome!!! My reverse lights weren't working, and he diagnosed the problem in 1/2 hour (pulled out wire) and fixed it for just the cost of labor. They service the NH State police vehicles in the area.

00 SVT Contour (1584) 04 F-350 XLT Sport V10 02 Honda Spirit 750 64 390 FE Big Block
#1545850 05/23/06 04:26 PM
E
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
E
If anyone wants to make me an offer, feel free to PM me.

See my cardomain page (link below) for some photos. I will be keeping the wheels (a family member wants them), roof rack system, silly air horn and the headunit, but that stuff might be negotiable. I do have the stock 14 inch wheels and wheel covers that came with the car (minus one cover) and they have tires with a decent amount of tread left.

It does have a new starter, new crank and camshaft sensors, new clutch switches (both), R16 relay, new front and rear stock roll resistors, a SVT style grill (painted silver) and lower front grill mesh (silver gutter guard). New TPS and brake booster vacuum hose. Pre 98 sail panels, the nice chrome antenna surround with a shorty billet antenna. Red Ford logos front and rear, red painted calipers (4 wheel disc brakes), new rotors and pads on the rear (a couple months old). Foglights (I added over the winter). New SVT center console (Black) with leather boots.

It will need a computer and the wiring problem researched and fixed. You will need to tow it from North Attleboro, MA.

I will throw in a set of brand new in the box Duralast brake pads for the front, and a stock Contour spoiler that I hadn't mounted yet. It is already painted black, but needs some paintwork. I have the original owner's manual, window sticker etc.

This is a one owner car, but does have 120,000 miles on it.

Actually after I left the scene and stopped bugging them, the dealership has turned out to be OK. Maybe they just like attractive women better than demanding guys, go figure. Maybe I forced them to be nicer. My wife is only allowed to deal with the service manager, because of me. He has been nice.

They did all this troubleshooting and trying this and that... and we only owe them like $150. They sent the computer back.

Thanks to everyone for all of their help and suggestions. I'm just done with the car, fixing it is over my head and I can't afford to have a Pro fix it.

EDIT- I just realized that I dropped my Car Domain page from my signature: CARDOMAIN

Last edited by Bicycle commuter :(; 05/23/06 04:51 PM.

#1545851 05/25/06 02:22 AM
J
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
J
I'm buying it saturday....

Page 21 of 29 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 28 29

Moderated by  baco99, frenchblueC2_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard