Page 11 of 29 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 28 29
#1545742 04/26/06 08:35 PM
E
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
E
Originally posted by BrApple:
the ignition switch is the round brown object with about a half dozen wires coming from it going to the square light grey connector, it is directly inline with the ignition cyclinder

I'm kind of lost a little at this point. Might the ignition switch still be a culprit? Since the fuel pump is not activating as well as the starter circuit?

MUST SELL - ECM computer new for a 98 V6 mtx + pats Now trolling in a Red Nissan 4 x 4
#1545743 04/26/06 11:33 PM
J
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
J
Originally posted by mean'tour:

I'm kind of lost a little at this point. Might the ignition switch still be a culprit? Since the fuel pump is not activating as well as the starter circuit?

Its possible becasue its a common link in the two.

There are so many different systems that the fuel pump is associated with that every one of them would have to be checked and at the rate we've been going and the equipment you have on hand it could take weeks to find the source. The only thing we can do easily is to check the obvious things like relays, fuses, looking for voltages at connectors and trying what Elky suggested to see if the pump tries to run. The fuel pump is tied in with the PCM and that gets inputs from all over on the car and on the engine and a fault in any one sensor or input into the PCM can affect the operation of the fuel pump.

I feel sorry for the people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, thats the best they're going to feel all day - former President Lyndon B. Johnson
#1545744 04/26/06 11:53 PM
E
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
E
Originally posted by JSmith:
Originally posted by mean'tour:

Its possible becasue its a common link in the two.

There are so many different systems that the fuel pump is associated with that every one of them would have to be checked and at the rate we've been going and the equipment you have on hand it could take weeks to find the source. The only thing we can do easily is to check the obvious things like relays, fuses, looking for voltages at connectors and trying what Elky suggested to see if the pump tries to run. The fuel pump is tied in with the PCM and that gets inputs from all over on the car and on the engine and a fault in any one sensor or input into the PCM can affect the operation of the fuel pump.

Thanks again. Is there anyway to run a PCM test?

Or are you thinking I should just take it in? Would I need to go to a Ford dealer? Or just an indy shop?

I'm going to wait for those parts from Bill, and see if there are any changes. I may run to a j-yard and grab an ignition switch as well. Check some more fuses...

MUST SELL - ECM computer new for a 98 V6 mtx + pats Now trolling in a Red Nissan 4 x 4
#1545745 04/27/06 11:36 AM
J
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
J
You can do some checks of the PCM on your own but for most of them the engine needs to be running. The testing procedure to isolate a problem in a system that interfaces with the PCM is about 2 pages long in the Haynes manual. The magnitude of the testing that needs to be done and the lack of specialized equipment is why I'm suggesting we keep to simple checks of the fuel pump circuit. Checking relays, fuses, looking for voltages at all the connectors that carry the power that feeds the fuel pump starting at the pump and working back twords the PCM. Hopefully that will identify the acutal problem or at least point to a general area. Hopefully if we do that we can fix it or at least know the general area that needs to be checked this way you might be able to get the car into an indy shop and tell them the problem is in a certain general area rather than just saying, "my fuel pump doesn't work." Since you've already done the bulk of the troubleshooting yourself you might be able to save some cash.

If your fuel pump worked when you turned the key on then the search would be fairly quick, but if the pump doesn't work when you turn the key on, the list grows to about as long as your arm of things that could be wrong.

For the home mechanic it will take a long time to test for faults in any system that interfaces with the PCM. A ford dealer will probably have on site or at least be obtainable to them the testing equipment that would do literally days of manual testing in a matter of minutes.

The starter has been easy to test with simple equipment becasue first, the system doesn't interface with the PCM. Second, the circuitry is simple and consists of mechanical switches, relays, fuses, a solenoid, one transisorized circuit (PATS) and a diode.

I hope you understand that I'm not trying to be-little or discourage you, its just that I want to make sure you understand that trying to find out why the fuel pump isn't running could end up being a long process that makes the starter problem we're looking into seem like a walk in the park. At the same time, be optimistic that the reason the fuel pump isn't working could be something simple like a bad relay, a loose connection or the pump is just at the end of its life.

I feel sorry for the people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, thats the best they're going to feel all day - former President Lyndon B. Johnson
#1545746 04/27/06 12:26 PM
E
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
E
J,

No, I don't think you are trying to discourage or belittle. You have been GREAT! You are probably right, I don't really want to give up but probably should. It's coming up on 3 weeks now. I will replace those few little parts that are coming and try to do some testing of the fuel pump circuit and then, if still no luck, take it somewhere.

Would it be better to go to a Ford dealer? What if it is PATS related? Aren't they the only ones that mess with PATS?

Quick related question: Ignition switch. Do all models and years use the same switch? The easiest pick-a-part place for me to go to doesn't have many 98+'s, and no 98+'s with the V6. Another place does, but it is farther.

#1545747 04/27/06 02:17 PM
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Originally posted by Bicycle commuter :
J,

No, I don't think you are trying to discourage or belittle. You have been GREAT! You are probably right, I don't really want to give up but probably should. It's coming up on 3 weeks now. I will replace those few little parts that are coming and try to do some testing of the fuel pump circuit and then, if still no luck, take it somewhere.

Would it be better to go to a Ford dealer? What if it is PATS related? Aren't they the only ones that mess with PATS?

Quick related question: Ignition switch. Do all models and years use the same switch? The easiest pick-a-part place for me to go to doesn't have many 98+'s, and no 98+'s with the V6. Another place does, but it is farther.

i think that they are the same, i put one in my car from a SVT but I don't recall what year it came from, I used it so I wouldn't have to hack up my stock one for the alarm that I installed

- 95 Mystique LS - Zetec/5spd - 99 Contour SeVT Sport - Duratec/5spd Official NE-CEG Contour/Mustang Family
#1545748 04/27/06 02:41 PM
E
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
E
Originally posted by BrApple:
Originally posted by Bicycle commuter :
J,

i think that they are the same, i put one in my car from a SVT but I don't recall what year it came from, I used it so I wouldn't have to hack up my stock one for the alarm that I installed

Ok great thanks. I guess I could double check by looking at the #'s on the item, right?

It was nice to see you and your girlfriend again. Sorry if my little guy drove you all nuts!

#1545749 04/27/06 02:52 PM
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
yes you should be able to compair the part numbers but they may or may not be similar.

- 95 Mystique LS - Zetec/5spd - 99 Contour SeVT Sport - Duratec/5spd Official NE-CEG Contour/Mustang Family
#1545750 04/27/06 03:05 PM
F
Smurfette
Smurfette
F
for the record, I normally can't stand being around kids.
Tate was fun. I wasn't driven nuts at all.
Dino was pooped out, that's about it, as far as I could tell.

I think I was more disturbed by the whirlwind of females that broke up our little get-together (and pigged out!)
And thanks to Cobra's observation, I need to check myself at get-togethers because I'm apparently just as obnoxious.
lol

Kim 1995 Contour GL Needs less "needs more"
#1545751 04/27/06 03:08 PM
E
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
E
hehe
Tate was fine.
Jess' sisters and cousins on the other hand...
her cousins especially have no manners at all.

kim, what were you doing that was so bad?
i musta missed it!

NY State Trooper: So what makes your car so special to have SVT all over it? Me: Er...It was made by Fords SPECIAL Vehicle Team?
Page 11 of 29 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 28 29

Moderated by  baco99, frenchblueC2_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard