B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
A is for the reverse lights

B is the starter

and

the question mark is the counter weight for the cable shifter

- 95 Mystique LS - Zetec/5spd - 99 Contour SeVT Sport - Duratec/5spd Official NE-CEG Contour/Mustang Family
#1545683 04/13/06 03:53 PM
E
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
E
Awesome thanks. What about this (NEW ARROW) is that all part of the reverse lights?

Where's the starter solenoid? Is it part of the starter. Or fuse box...

I'll check the wiring and grounds associated with the starter. How can I know if it is bad or not?

MUST SELL - ECM computer new for a 98 V6 mtx + pats Now trolling in a Red Nissan 4 x 4
#1545684 04/13/06 04:32 PM
E
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
E
the starter solenoid is bolted to the side of the starter.
you cant see it in that picture.
it is what the wires for the starter are attached to.

did you try whacking the starter while your wife turns the key?
seemd like you have a straigt shot at it to hit it pretty good.

if you hit it and it tries to start then yo uknow its defintly the starter.

wish i could coe down and help you.
i wouldnt be able to try and come down until at least saturday, and i couldnt make any promises.

NY State Trooper: So what makes your car so special to have SVT all over it? Me: Er...It was made by Fords SPECIAL Vehicle Team?
#1545685 04/13/06 04:42 PM
E
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
E
Originally posted by Count Blah:
the starter solenoid is bolted to the side of the starter.
you cant see it in that picture.
it is what the wires for the starter are attached to.

did you try whacking the starter while your wife turns the key?
seemd like you have a straigt shot at it to hit it pretty good.

if you hit it and it tries to start then yo uknow its defintly the starter.

wish i could coe down and help you.
i wouldnt be able to try and come down until at least saturday, and i couldnt make any promises.

We tried to give it a good whack, I'll try more tonight.

She was kind of kidding, even though if you showed she would take care of you! I'm not available until Saturday either.

She's getting a little more frustrated about it than I am, maybe because I'm not all that inconvenienced. She just keeps asking me, so what are you trying tonight? I'll spend what I can of Saturday and Monday on it.

MUST SELL - ECM computer new for a 98 V6 mtx + pats Now trolling in a Red Nissan 4 x 4
#1545686 04/13/06 04:48 PM
E
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
E
you are attacking it in the right manner.
with a no-start it can only be so many things.
and since it is a no crank...it narrows it down even more.
keep checking the things that Jay and i mentioned, and it will surface.

NY State Trooper: So what makes your car so special to have SVT all over it? Me: Er...It was made by Fords SPECIAL Vehicle Team?
#1545687 04/13/06 05:18 PM
E
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
E
Originally posted by Count Blah:
you are attacking it in the right manner.
with a no-start it can only be so many things.
and since it is a no crank...it narrows it down even more.
keep checking the things that Jay and i mentioned, and it will surface.

Senor Blah,

(BTW what's up with the blah's, do you have a case of them?)

Thanks for the encouragement. I will check the wiring, the loaded battery voltage and start hitting things. That I could get into...

My Haynes manual leaves much to be desired in the way of part identification. I began taking this off last night to move the remainder of the airbox mount, but then realized I probably shouldn't.

Is this the motor mount for that side?

Also, to everyone offering suggestions, I really appreciate it! For a bunch of Massholes, you are pretty great! ha ha ha

#1545688 04/13/06 05:48 PM
E
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
E
yeah thats the tranny/motor mount.
unless you have the tranny supported from underneath, i wouldnt take that out.

#1545689 04/13/06 10:54 PM
J
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
J
If you can feel R6 clicking then: 1. the start position of the ignition switch is good. 2. R6 is getting the input signal from the ignition switch so the wiring is good.

Just becasue R6 clicks when you turn the key doesn't mean that it is good. Relays can click but the internal switch can be bad. What you need to do now is check out the starter and find the solenoid, like Brapple said, its attached to the starter the solenoid looks like a little round tube with wires going to the back of it. There might be a cover on the back of the solenoid to protect the wires, if there is take it off. Use a voltage meter and check for voltage on the smaller of the wires when your wife turns the key to start. If you see battery voltage then that means that R6 is good and the wiring is good and the starter is bad and needs replacement. If you don't see voltage then R6 is bad and needs to be replaced. If you put the voltage meter on the big wire that comes from the battery, that should also have battery voltage all the time.

You swapped out the fuel pump and the headlight relays and the headlights still worked so the fuel pump relay is good. The next thing to do is get to the fuel pump, its on top of the gas tank, you get to it by removing the rear seat cushion. My Haynes manual says to fold the seat cushion forward and on some models there are mounting bolts that need to be removed. I took the seat out of my SVT when I had it and there were no bolts, just pop-together clips that are a pain to get apart. Under the seat cushion there will be a rubber gromet, take that out and that will expose the fuel pump. Then its time to try what the count says and tap the pump with a soft hammer while your wife turns the key on and see if the pump turns on. It looks like there's some plastic parts on the pump so be careful not to break them.

I feel sorry for the people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, thats the best they're going to feel all day - former President Lyndon B. Johnson
#1545690 04/14/06 12:08 PM
E
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
E
I know everyone is sitting on the edge of their seats.... (haha)

I took yesterday off. My wife and kiddies came and picked me and my bike up from work. The kiddies have colds so noone went to bed on time. CSI and a little extra tired from the morning commute and a tough day at work, and I was done for at 10:05.

I will work on it this weekend. My goal is to drive to work in the Contour on Tuesday (I have Monday off).

I truly appreciate everyone's suggestions! I can't believe that both the starter and fuel pump died at once, but it does have 120,xxx miles and is 8 years old.

I will check here again before starting any work. If anyone has any other ideas, let me know. Thanks again and HAPPY EASTER!!! (no offense if your aren't Christian) or HAPPY SPRING!!!

#1545691 04/16/06 03:13 AM
E
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
E
Dang this engine bay is hard to work in. Did some testing this morning, and went and bought a starter. Having trouble getting the front mounting bolt loose. Got the rear after some difficulties.

Any ideas? I'm using a regular 13mm wrench but it is just too short to get any leverage... I guess I need a 3-4 inch piece of pipe or something.

Have a good holiday!

Page 5 of 29 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 28 29

Moderated by  baco99, frenchblueC2_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard