Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 29 1 2 3 4 5 6 28 29
#1545672 04/12/06 10:27 PM
J
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
J
You can do a quick check of the battery's state of charge with a voltage meter. The battery should be at least 12 volts. A fully charged battery should have around 12.8 to 13.2 volts.

You were having some issues before you did any work. Problems that didn't seem to go away after servicing the intake system. Perhaps these symptoms that led you to servicing the intake system were actually symptoms of low fuel pressure due to a failing fuel pump. Its reasonable to believe that the fuel pump is not working becasue it has failed and trying what the Count suggested might get you some answers.

The starter. After you know that the clutch switch is good and after you've checked the battery connections, follow the ground wire from the battery to where it connects to the car. make sure that connection is tight and clean. The positive wire leads to the starter, make sure that this wire is clean and tight. To get to the starter you'll need to take off the air filter box and the bracket that holds the air filter box. Before you clean this wire or put a wrench or socket on it remove the negative wire from the battery. After checking these wires and the starter still doesn't work have your wife turn the key to start while you listen to hear the solenoid on the starter click. It makes a pretty good click you won't need to get right next to it to hear it. If you don't hear a click get a voltage meter and touch the (+) end of the meter to the threaded stud on the starter solenoid that has the smaller wire attached to it, touch the (-) end of the meter to the engine block or the metal part of the starter motor and have you wife turn the key to start you should see battery voltage when she turns the key. If you don't then its the relay R6 that is bad or the ignition switch itself. If you do see voltage then either the solenoid or the starter motor is bad. In either case you'll have to change the starter.

Last edited by JSmith; 04/12/06 10:32 PM.

I feel sorry for the people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, thats the best they're going to feel all day - former President Lyndon B. Johnson
#1545673 04/13/06 12:12 AM
E
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
E
Thanks again Jason, you have been really helpful.

12.8 Volts, I just checked. I will check the other starter related stuff in a few minutes.

Do you think it is now the starter AND the fuel pump? Hopefully just a stuck starter and/ or fuel pump.

MUST SELL - ECM computer new for a 98 V6 mtx + pats Now trolling in a Red Nissan 4 x 4
#1545674 04/13/06 01:42 AM
G
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
G
I dont understand how both can go dead all of a sudden with no warning

#1545675 04/13/06 11:30 AM
J
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
J
Originally posted by Goonz SVT:
I dont understand how both can go dead all of a sudden with no warning

I can't either.

But I've seen stranger things happen before.

I feel sorry for the people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, thats the best they're going to feel all day - former President Lyndon B. Johnson
#1545676 04/13/06 11:41 AM
J
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
J
Originally posted by mean'tour:

12.8 Volts, I just checked. I will check the other starter related stuff in a few minutes.

Do you think it is now the starter AND the fuel pump? Hopefully just a stuck starter and/ or fuel pump.

12.8, excellent. One more thing to do with the voltage meter. This will help test the battery's capacity. Turn on the ignition and turn on the heater blower, the radio and the headlights and then check the battery voltage again. It will drop some, it will start dropping fast and then slow down and eventually stop and hold steady but it shouldn't get much lower than 11 after 10 to 15 seconds.

I don't want to jump to conclusions. I like to keep an open mind when I'm troubleshooting. The checks you'll do will help determine the casue of the starter's problem. To be honest, I'm hoping its something silly like a loose connection on the ignition switch, but more realistically I'm thinking its possible that there is a coincidental failure of both the fuel pump and the starter relays.

I like the Count's suggestion about checking the fuel pump. I've never heard of doing that before, but its simple.

Last edited by JSmith; 04/13/06 11:42 AM.

#1545677 04/13/06 11:55 AM
E
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
E
Originally posted by JSmith:

I like the Count's suggestion about checking the fuel pump. I've never heard of doing that before, but its simple.

when my old boss told me that i thought he was crazy..but it really works!

NY State Trooper: So what makes your car so special to have SVT all over it? Me: Er...It was made by Fords SPECIAL Vehicle Team?
#1545678 04/13/06 11:58 AM
F
Smurfette
Smurfette
F
everything works better when you bang it enough

Kim 1995 Contour GL Needs less "needs more"
#1545679 04/13/06 12:01 PM
E
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
E
Originally posted by frenchblueC2:

qoute of the day!!!!!...blah

NY State Trooper: So what makes your car so special to have SVT all over it? Me: Er...It was made by Fords SPECIAL Vehicle Team?
#1545680 04/13/06 02:26 PM
E
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
E
Originally posted by frenchblueC2:

That made me giggle.

MUST SELL - ECM computer new for a 98 V6 mtx + pats Now trolling in a Red Nissan 4 x 4
#1545681 04/13/06 02:40 PM
E
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
E
Originally posted by JSmith:
Originally posted by mean'tour:

12.8, excellent. One more thing to do with the voltage meter. This will help test the battery's capacity. Turn on the ignition and turn on the heater blower, the radio and the headlights and then check the battery voltage again. It will drop some, it will start dropping fast and then slow down and eventually stop and hold steady but it shouldn't get much lower than 11 after 10 to 15 seconds.

I don't want to jump to conclusions. I like to keep an open mind when I'm troubleshooting. The checks you'll do will help determine the casue of the starter's problem. To be honest, I'm hoping its something silly like a loose connection on the ignition switch, but more realistically I'm thinking its possible that there is a coincidental failure of both the fuel pump and the starter relays.

I'll check the battery's capacity tonight.

I checked R6, I could hear and feel it clicking. I also swapped out the other relays to check, low beams turned on.

Which is the starter? Which is the solenoid? What is this thing (more just curious) circled?

I guessed based on the location and started to remove "A" but then saw an exploded view of the starter on Bill's website and I think the starter is "B".

Again, I really appreciate the help. I let my wife not be stranded today and rode my road bike to work. Not too bad it takes me about 35-40 minutes to drive (slow back roads). I rode it in just over an hour. Was 15 minutes ahead of the rain!

ElKy aka Count Blah, or anyone really (especially Jason - you've been super helpful)... I was talking to my wife a little last night explaining to her what I was trying to do etc. based on everyone's suggestions. She grew up around cars, her father was always buying an under priced used car and fixing it up and turning it around for a profit. She wants to know how nice of a dinner she would have to make for you to come down to Uxbridge and help me fix this? ha ha She's makes really good desserts!

Page 4 of 29 1 2 3 4 5 6 28 29

Moderated by  baco99, frenchblueC2_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard