Print Thread
Page 1 of 29 1 2 3 28 29
#1545642 04/10/06 01:13 AM
E
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
E
Please help me... I did a few simple things yesterday (replaced brake booster vacuum hose) repaired 2 little hoses I broke recently, spliced in the wires for the TPS...

Now the car is just dead. Key in lights turn on, oil light, battery light, seatbelt light turn on (no CEL)... No start. Won't even crank. I'm not sure I can hear the fuel pump.

See:

Troubleshooting thread

I'm now charging the battery, but had tried to jump it earlier, no help. Checked all fuses.

PLEASE HELP !

MUST SELL - ECM computer new for a 98 V6 mtx + pats Now trolling in a Red Nissan 4 x 4
#1545643 04/10/06 03:00 AM
J
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
J
Maybe a few simple items... may sound stupid but hey what the heck.

Do you have the clutch pushed in ALL the way.

Clutch sensor gone bad/disconected.

Could you have killed the GEM module for recognizing PATS?

Jack

#1545644 04/10/06 03:14 AM
E
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
E
Originally posted by jaxsvt:
Maybe a few simple items... may sound stupid but hey what the heck.

Do you have the clutch pushed in ALL the way.

Clutch sensor gone bad/disconected.

Could you have killed the GEM module for recognizing PATS?

Jack

Yes, I have the clutch pushed all the way in.

How do I check/ replace the Clutch sensor? Where is it? What does it look like... ?

Maybe on the PATS module. How do I know?

MUST SELL - ECM computer new for a 98 V6 mtx + pats Now trolling in a Red Nissan 4 x 4
#1545645 04/10/06 11:33 AM
J
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
J
If the PATS is not recognizing your key you can turn on the ignition and hear the fuel pump cycle, listen to the radio, put the windows up and down etc. when you turn the key the rest of the way it just doesn't crank the engine. Try all your other keys to see if they work.

When you did the work to the car did you disconnect the battery? try checking the connection at the battery terminals. take the cables off the battery and clean the cable ends and the battery terminals with a battery terminal cleaner.

Does you battery have a status window on it? The little round window you look in on the top of the battery to see the colored float. If its green the battery is ok, if its yellow or orange it will work for a little while but it is on its way out and may not hold a charge, if its red throw it away.

Did you pull any fuses to reset the computer or for any other reason? Its possible that the fuses have been damamged and do not pass current. Just becasue the element inside the fuse looks ok doesn't guarantee that the fuse will work. Use a multimeter or a test light to check for continuity between the two ends of the fuse.

I feel sorry for the people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, thats the best they're going to feel all day - former President Lyndon B. Johnson
#1545646 04/10/06 01:38 PM
E
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
E
Originally posted by JSmith:
If the PATS is not recognizing your key you can turn on the ignition and hear the fuel pump cycle, listen to the radio, put the windows up and down etc. when you turn the key the rest of the way it just doesn't crank the engine. Try all your other keys to see if they work.

When you did the work to the car did you disconnect the battery? try checking the connection at the battery terminals. take the cables off the battery and clean the cable ends and the battery terminals with a battery terminal cleaner.

Does you battery have a status window on it? The little round window you look in on the top of the battery to see the colored float. If its green the battery is ok, if its yellow or orange it will work for a little while but it is on its way out and may not hold a charge, if its red throw it away.

Did you pull any fuses to reset the computer or for any other reason? Its possible that the fuses have been damamged and do not pass current. Just becasue the element inside the fuse looks ok doesn't guarantee that the fuse will work. Use a multimeter or a test light to check for continuity between the two ends of the fuse.

Clutch sensor? I can't find any reference to one on AutoZone's website. Anyone know any other names?

No battery status window.

Yes I pulled fuses. I visually checked them all last night. I'll test them today.

I did not disconnect the battery. I did recently cleaned the battery terminals though.

My wife is going to check her key to check the PATS possibility.

When I put my key in I do not hear the fuel pump cycle. How do I check that?

This is really frustrating.

#1545647 04/10/06 07:18 PM
E
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
E
My wife checked with her key, no luck.

I ran out at lunch and got a Camshaft position sensor and ordered the Crankshaft position sensor and the Neutral Safety switch.

Any other ideas? How would I check out the electrical for the fuel pump?

#1545648 04/10/06 07:26 PM
F
Smurfette
Smurfette
F
Damn if it's not one thing it's another, eh?

With all the money you're sinking into troubleshooting based on the opinions here, kinda makes you feel like you would have saved $$ by sending it to a mechanic at first, huh?

Kim 1995 Contour GL Needs less "needs more"
#1545649 04/10/06 07:37 PM
G
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
G
Originally posted by FBooBerryC2:

With all the money you're sinking into troubleshooting based on the opinions here, kinda makes you feel like you would have saved $$ by sending it to a mechanic at first, huh?

i hafta agree with kim on this one. I appears pretty much everything is going wrong, i think it be worth a check up by a mechanic or worst case, stealership

#1545650 04/10/06 07:52 PM
E
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
E
Originally posted by FBooBerryC2:

Maybe. Well not really yet. At this point I haven't spent much and it has only cost me a little inconvenience.

Plus the car is stuck at my house, which is about a 25 minute drive from the mechanic I trust... There are a few in our town, but the nearest one I've had a bad experience with.

I can keep trying for a few days before my wife kills me.

#1545651 04/10/06 08:07 PM
F
Smurfette
Smurfette
F
I'm mostly in awe of your patience and diligence.

hang in there!

Kim 1995 Contour GL Needs less "needs more"
Page 1 of 29 1 2 3 28 29

Moderated by  baco99, frenchblueC2_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard