Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Snipey Offline OP
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
S
Last month i failed inspection for an 'exhaust leak' ... kind of aggravating because he failed me just based on hearing the leak, didn't even test emissions.
Well annoyance aside, this pushed me further towards getting a new exhaust. I don't have a wealth of knowledge about the parts and part-names..but i have been trying to read up on the sticky in this forum and my top personal choice is the cta-motorsports setup#1..(surprisingly also the most expensive $655 " 2 1/2" stainless steel pipe, Magnaflow 14616 Mirror Finish muffler, dual Magnaflow 14416 mufflers, and dual 4" polished rolled stainless steel tips. ")

i was thinking this would solve my problem and be a great upgrade...then i got thinking the leak could easily be before the cats, and cat-back exhaust wouldnt fix this. this got me thinking i should throw on a y-pipe while im at it. ( i have yet to pinpoint the leak but i noticed a 'connection point' about in-line with the drivers footwell, was very rusted...more so than further back.)

sorry about talking so much. but im looking for advice/suggestions on what you think i should do/replace in my situation. cat-back i think i am decided (from what ive seen on the sticky-page options) but otherwise..like the y-pipe or anything else i might need... i am open to anything. cheaper the better price-wise (luckily ill have a bit of bday money) im not doing all this to pass inspection btw, ive been looking for an upgrade for a while now(since my tips were cheapy-done)

thanks in advance
.Snipey

- 98 SVT #5999 -. -CDA-7894 w/ ipod interface -Knauberized, Trubendz 2.5/highflow cat
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
And while you're doing the y-pipe, what if you find the leak is really by the pre-cats... So let's get headers too!! Welcome to the slippery slope of rationalizing your mod habit-in-development. Like if you need to be able to accelerate after toll stops on the Mass Pike: TURBO TIME!!

Back on topic: Do you not have SOME way to get a handle on where the leak is? You're talking about installing an almost entire new exhaust to fix A leak SOMEWHERE? I wish I had your discretionary bucks to drop that quickly. Do you have any CELs that might flunk your car on emissions? Can't fix those when you're flat broke from buying a whole new exhaust.

Meanwhile, in terms of bang for the buck, don't overlook the tru bends systems for a cat back. You still have input on a bunch of resonators and mufflers for the sound you want while NOT paying as much as possible.

MSDS, SHO-shop Y, custom 2.5" catback; xcal2; 63mm TB, K&N 3530; Koni struts, Aussie bar; THaines forks, Quaife, SpecII, UR fly; DMD; Nima UD pullies; Stazi brakes; f&r Pole120 mounts. Just a daily commuter car. Silver '98 SVT E0 #3159
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Have a friend sit in the car after it's warmed up and revv it while you're half under the car (off jack stands btw) and glide your hand around. If there's a minor leak you will feel it. If there's a BIG leak, you will see it. There will be black soot collecting on the ground.

Hope that helps. Definately find out where the leak is before you go replacing stuff (but a completely new exhaust system doesn't hurt!! )

S
Snipey Offline OP
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
S
Quote:

i was thinking this would solve my problem and be a great upgrade...
im not doing all this to pass inspection btw, ive been looking for an upgrade for a while now(since my tips were cheapy-done) *previous owner*

been planning on a overhauling the exhaust system. this just pushes me in the direction a little earlier than planned. figured i might as well kill a few birds with 1 stone.

oh, and i have no CEL's causing me to fail inspection. nothing on the paperwork shows me failing inspection except the guys handwriting saying i have an exhaust leak. (he never emission checked it, ear-failed it )

- 98 SVT #5999 -. -CDA-7894 w/ ipod interface -Knauberized, Trubendz 2.5/highflow cat
R
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
R
Originally posted by Snipey:
Last month i failed inspection for an 'exhaust leak' ...

That stinks. Move to Michigan where we don't have inspections!

For Sale - 96 Tour Sport 2.5L MTX with SVT Exhaust, pre 98 trunklid with newer Contour Sport spoiler instead of lip spoiler, newer Contour sport rims. Newer paint job. Brand new floor mats. Rust Free! PM me for details and pics.
E
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
E
Have someone hold their hands over the tailpipes. You'll find out where the leak is. Just don't do it for a lengthy period of time. It'll stall out.

** Mike ** "You might beat me in a straight line, but I'll embarass you in the turns"
S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
I have a bunch of unused exhaust lying around my basement you may be interested in. PM if anyone wants something. I havent taken the time to photograph and put in classifeds but I will provide pics if there is interest.

MSDS headers (JetHot Coated)
MSDS Y (ceramic coated))
2.5" TruBendz Tubing Kit (SS)
x2 Magnaflow race series 14842 (SS)
Magnaflow straight thru for resonator 14316 (SS)

-Adam- 2k Silver Frost #939 - 36K Miles H&R + Koni + Mirko + Elky Mesh + Hella Optilux + K&N + LoTek + Mille Miglia EVO 17" + ADC T-28 Turbo + Magnaflow 3" S.S. + exhaust leaks + CEL light + more to come...
S
Snipey Offline OP
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
S
Late follow-up.... long story short ive pinpointed it to the cat. pockets arent too deep currently so i think cat-back is about the best i can do, maybe y-pipe back at best.

anyone know which of the exhausts dont pass emissions, if any? I know this year im safe but next year wont be the same. The high-flow cat just sounds like it has failed emissions written all over it.

Seeing as i don't know a whole lot about exhaust yet, is cat-back include the cat? on cta motorsports it looks like its seperate. Exhaust is important to me so i want to be very happy with the outcome. Currently im stuck on their System#1.

Im open to opinions and/or advice, currently ctamotorsports has my interest but if theres better deals out there let me know

edit: is stainless steel only for looks (compared to aluminized) or will it last much longer?
been looking at trubenz but they dont have any pictures of what their tips look like so im kinda turned off a little. Ive checked the exhaust tips post out and ive decided its between magnaflow double rolled tips..or what bradsvt has but thats unknown.
-doesnt look like i can mix and match with these sets, any chance i can get em without tips and find some myself?
the supertrapps are sexy too but im pretty sure thats a reach on the $$ .

thanks..
.Snipey

Last edited by Snipey; 05/03/06 01:13 AM.

S
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
S
Hi-Flo cat doesn't fail. I've had mine on for 3yrs now. I also have sho-y and magna flow res and mufflers/borla tips.

They only scan your computer for emmisions and If you don't have a check engine light on and the car runs fun then no problem. you do need to get rid of those huge fart cans though, that system you have now wasn't done right.

cat back means from the cat back, no cat. The hi-flo cat works great and is 50 state legal! Go stainless you won't regret it. stainless will last 4 times longer than crappy aluminized steel(plus you drive in the winter). when you come by my house for the tires I'll show you my system and some options .

"we aren't punished for our sins, but by them" 2000 se sport tropic green/gray leather. V6,svt body kit and E1 wheels/Avon tech m500 rubber, many mods. 2003 Eddie Bauer Explorer V8 2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S 1996 Mercury Sable
S
Snipey Offline OP
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
S
thanks, you answered questions in both my posts combined i look forward to seein yours almost as much as getting rid of mine that garage queen

.Snipey

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard