Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#1544588 04/11/06 06:34 PM
T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by Auto-X Fil:
Originally posted by ToasterOven:
a very good idea, and i dont think the ride would be that harsh.

I'm glad you think that the ride would be fine. I'm sure your highly calibrated vibration sensor works very well looking at pictures on the internet.

on a scale of 1 to 10 its working on a 7 right now. so actually, quite well! who pissed in your cheerios this morning?

99 V6SE Sport ATX
#1544589 04/11/06 10:49 PM
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
You just made a completely baseless statement. No one asked you what you thought the ride might be like. You didn't do the dynamic analysis of the tweel, reasearch someone else's work who did, or even offer logical conjecture. You just spit out a comment that has about as little bearing on real life as what I like to wet my Cherios with. Why say something like that?

-Philip Maynard '95 Contour [71 STS | Track Whore] '97 Miata [71 ES | Boulevard Pimp] 2006 autocross results
#1544590 04/12/06 12:46 PM
T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
because someone else did. just gave my opinion.

99 V6SE Sport ATX
#1544591 04/12/06 04:21 PM
I
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
I
Originally posted by ToasterOven:
Originally posted by Auto-X Fil:
a very good idea, and i dont think the ride would be that harsh.

I'm glad you think that the ride would be fine. I'm sure your highly calibrated vibration sensor works very well looking at pictures on the internet.

Whoa! Chill guys! If Toaster had said "The ride won't be harsh" then yeah, that's a declarative statement and I could see where Auto's reaction would be valid. He was just stating a personal opinion though. Opinions aren't always based on fact or proof. I personally think that there will be tires with varying stiffness spokes, stiffer for performance and more flexible for comfort, so I'm betting the ride wouldn't be that bad either (on decently maintained roads anyway...I'm sure lots of potholes would be ROUGH!).

:sob: Can't we all just get along? :sob:

As far as the sidewalls, it's my opinion that they're open for testing and evaluation purposes. If they were closed, there would be no way to check for damage or deterioration of the spokes without removing the tire completely from the wheel. I'm sure that production versions would have sidewalls, though I'd bet that they'd produce an open version too. It has it's own appeal...the car kind of looks like it's riding on air. Closest we'll get to hover cars for ages!

BrApple-its all in the way it is presented...but everythign on my resume is all me TexasRealtor-I hope you spelling improves on your resume. MxRacer-ladies and gentlemen, welcome to ironyville. population, texasrelator.
#1544592 04/12/06 04:32 PM
D
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
D
Dude, you don't have a hovercar yet?

'99 Spruce Green SE "Sport" 'Tour, 2.5L MTX...80K and running like it just rolled off the lot. Tryin' to add an extra .5L ASAP
#1544593 04/12/06 04:38 PM
I
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
I
Originally posted by DanMyers:
Dude, you don't have a hovercar yet?

Well, it's made from Legos and has a little trouble keeping my 250 fat-a$$ lbs. in the air. It's still in the beta-testing stage.

BrApple-its all in the way it is presented...but everythign on my resume is all me TexasRealtor-I hope you spelling improves on your resume. MxRacer-ladies and gentlemen, welcome to ironyville. population, texasrelator.
#1544594 04/12/06 06:25 PM
K
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
K
Originally posted by IRingTwyce:

As far as the sidewalls, it's my opinion that they're open for testing and evaluation purposes. If they were closed, there would be no way to check for damage or deterioration of the spokes without removing the tire completely from the wheel. I'm sure that production versions would have sidewalls, though I'd bet that they'd produce an open version too. It has it's own appeal...the car kind of looks like it's riding on air. Closest we'll get to hover cars for ages!

I got it, someone needs to invent a clear rubber that can be used for tires. Then enclose the "tweel" with the clear rubber and also use air to benefit from the normal tires comfort, but gain the ability to run flat or with very little air in the tire.

The combination of the tweel and normal air tire might decrease the number of accidents on the highways from the resulting blown tire.

My ride(Cardomain link) : '95 Contour 16V Zetec DOHC, Teal , ATX Born on Sep. 4, 1995 86+ miles *LEDs mods are on their way!*
#1544595 04/12/06 07:42 PM
B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
Originally posted by Kerry2Kool4U:

The combination of the tweel and normal air tire might decrease the number of accidents on the highways from the resulting blown tire.

Its so simple...with the tweel you WON'T NEED AIR!! That is the whole point!

Fifteen men on a dead man's chest... Maverick Machineworks is open for business!! Tell me what you need and I can make it!
#1544596 04/12/06 08:50 PM
B
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
B
The deformable spokes certainly can be calibrated to be just as comfortable as air, if they choose to do so. It will be a trade-off between comfort and handling.

Think about any tennis shoes that don't feature compressed gas pockets, like Nike Airs. All of these other types use foam that deforms under pressure. Nike could create a non-Air version of ANY of its Air shoes that would feel just as good to the wearer, at least initially. The reason they went with air is that it minimized the amount of material to break-down in the shoe sole over time. Foam, rubber... it all gets compacted and crushed and looses its bounce over time. A pocket of air that doesn't leak, only looses a little absorption due to the outer wall of the air pocket becoming more plyable.

There's no reason these tweels can't be 100% as comfortable as a traditional wheel and tire, but I do question how long they will last, even with advanced polymers. My guess is about the same as a set of tires, but that is just a guess.

Brian
99 SVT

#1544597 04/12/06 10:00 PM
M
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
M
They would probably last as long as the tread, like a normal tire. They don't seem like they would be any more prone to failure than a normal tire. I'm sure they will be designed to not competely disintergrate if a spoke failed.

[color:"green"]-Matt R

'99 Tropic Green LX, Zetec, ATX
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  1314_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard