Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
B
Redneck Troll
Redneck Troll
B
Originally posted by Jared:

1) Can I drop the whole 3.0L in and use the heads thats on it?

No, not from a '99.

2) Can I use the 4speed automatic transmission thats in the Contour right now, will it bolt up to the 3.0L?

Yes.

3)Also I've read about notching the block w/ pre '01 3.0 Duratechs, why is the block notched?

Not quite sure what you're talking about here. Please explain...

4) I've noticed that some people swap the heads so they do not have to reroute the fuel rail, ect this is not a problem for me. But I noticed that they're talking about some type of control module that you cant run w/ the 3.0L heads, is this true, and if so what module, and how do I go about disc onnecting it.

You're actually combining two different things here. If you use the full '01+ 3L, including the plastic intakes, then you need to disable the IMRC in the ECM since you don't use the IMRC with the oval port intake. The IMRC stands for Intake Manifold Runner Control module, which controls the secondaries of the twin port 2.5 manifold (and the older twin port aluminum intake 3L's).

People that swap heads are usually doing a hybrid with 2.5 heads, either for ease of installation with the fuel rail, or for water pump reasons.

Basically I wanna do a full 3.0L 1999 Duratech swap.

You don't want to do that. Full swap with '01+, or hybrid with '00 or older because of water pump concerns.

What am I looking at getting into? And what are going to be some of the major problems am I going to encounter?

That can't be predicted. You know your own abilities, and we know ours... just keep reading on other people's 3L problems, and keep asking questions in here. If someone gets on you about searching and you already have, contact a mod (me) and we'll handle the situation.

Also will the will the 3.0L bolt right up to the motor mounts?

Yes.

http://www.bnmotorsports.com "And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my CEG brothers. And you will know I am the Moderator when I lay my vengeance upon you."
J
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
J
He's got a '95, guys. No IMRC, runs vacuum secondaries, also OBD-1.

"Think of it, if you like, as a librarian with a G-string under the tweed." Clarkson on the Mondeo.
J
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
J
bnoon - Can you please explain why the heads off of the 3.0 will not work in the contour?
I've saw on Fordcontour.org that they dropped a pre '01 3.0 in. Full swap.
Altho they did have to rewire the wiring harness in order to hook up to the 3.0 injectors.

W
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
W
'01 engines will work fine with a direct drop in minus the issues with the intake manifolds. Those have fairly straight forward workarounds though.
engines earlier than 00 all have a different water pump location and require an electric water pump or hybridizing the 2.5L heads so that the waterpump remains in the stock location.

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black
S
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
S
Originally posted by warmonger:
'01 engines will work fine with a direct drop in minus the issues with the intake manifolds. Those have fairly straight forward workarounds though.
engines earlier than 00 all have a different water pump location and require an electric water pump or hybridizing the 2.5L heads so that the waterpump remains in the stock location.

Warmonger i gotta say your mod page kicks ass .. well i need to do this 3.0 full swap and sell my CSVT .. i will get another CSVT and will kick ass on that one but i owe too much on the tour i have and need to sell it and go the same route on another CSVT i find but what issues do you have with the intake man on the 01+ full swap .. just to keep me in the clear .. thanks ..

SpdySVT

W
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
W
I had no issues with the stock in upper and lower on the 2001 heads with secondaries. You can also just remove the butterfly plates while leaving the linkage hooked up if you didn't want secondaries in there until you can get a tune to turn it off. The offset injector has so far proved to have no issues at all, so I wouldn't even worry about doing it and using a little epoxy filler seems easy compared to all the fuel rail issues and mounting costs. Look at it as spending about 2 hours and 5 bucks to convert the heads over to the original SVT LIM versus the converting the fuel rail for an oval LIM.

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black
S
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
S
I had no issues with the stock in upper and lower on the 2001 heads with secondaries. You can also just remove the butterfly plates while leaving the linkage hooked up if you didn't want secondaries in there until you can get a tune to turn it off. The offset injector has so far proved to have no issues at all, so I wouldn't even worry about doing it and using a little epoxy filler seems easy compared to all the fuel rail issues and mounting costs. Look at it as spending about 2 hours and 5 bucks to convert the heads over to the original SVT LIM versus the converting the fuel rail for an oval LIM.

sweet so just use the lim off my svt an epoxy the ???? what do i epoxy??? anyway the furl rail or the lim ot injectors ????? anyway just that one last question ... thanks

SpdySVT

W
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
W
So I'm assuming you want to do a 3.0 swap and want to use your 2.5L lower intake system.

This has been done multiple times by modifying the heads. The modification that needs to be performed is caused by the different placement of the fuel injectors in the different engines and by the port shape.

01+ engines (and maybe some 00s) use oval ports with injectors mounted in the center of the port.

All 2.5L engines in the contour/cougar/mystique will use a split port intake system, or dual-runner intake system with the injector mounted only in the left (primary) intake port.

So what you are doing is taking a lower intake manifold meant for a split port head and bolting it to the oval port head. The bolt holes line up but the injector mounting point in the lower intake manifold is aimed at a bit of solid metal in the head since the split port intake overlaps the oval port head port.
Additionally, the oval port injector mounting point requires a "V" shaped valley in the head to accomodate the spread of the injector spray. That valley is not overlapped and will leave a small hole that will leak air if not filled in. This is the part that needs to be filled with epoxy.

Some people take the heads and get that portion filled in with an aluminum weld by a welder, then they use a die grinder with cutting bit and shape the weld area as well as the intake holes to fit the split port intake. That is the best idea but may run you $50-$125 depending.
You still need the die grinder and to cut the stuff, but you will only spend $5 on brake parts cleaner and JB Weld Qwik epoxy to fill it yourself as well and it will be ready to work in about 10 minutes. That means no shop turnaround time. Reliability of the epoxy filler method is still 100% so far so I wouldn't worry about that.

I made a sketch that I will host in a moment.

After you make this conversion then you have just changed the engine to a 3.0 that fits your 2.5L stuff, a long-block hyrbrid if you will.

Then you will have to deal with amount of fuel that the 95 can deliver to the engine but that is something that can be dealt with later.

Last edited by warmonger; 04/13/06 11:45 AM.

W
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
W
Sorry for the size, but this is must a quick sketch showing the stages and what you need to do. Look on my website and DemonSVTs website for some pictures of completed work. Search and you will see the image where someone had it welded.

S
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
S
Sorry for the size, but this is must a quick sketch showing the stages and what you need to do. Look on my website and DemonSVTs website for some pictures of completed work. Search and you will see the image where someone had it welded.

Damn you are my hero .. lol .. thanks a million .. i feel ready to start working on it .. but stay tune i may have more questions ...

SpdySVT

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  bnoon_dup1, PA 3L SVT_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard