Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
I
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
I
Again, unless you're in one of the major metro areas, there won't be an emissions test. I've never had the inspector open the hood. They might pressure test your gas cap, but that would be about it. They'll check lights, horn, and wipers. Where I go he'll listen to make sure there are no holes or leaks in the exhaust, but he's pretty much just eyeballing it from the back. Texas inspection is pretty easy to pass. Cheap too at $12.50.

So, like I said earlier, if you're paranoid about anything possibly not passing then look for an inspection station that seems run-down. They tend to be a bit lax when it comes to some of the requirements.

BrApple-its all in the way it is presented...but everythign on my resume is all me TexasRealtor-I hope you spelling improves on your resume. MxRacer-ladies and gentlemen, welcome to ironyville. population, texasrelator.
R
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
R
  • Lights - low and high
  • lenses clear (ish..lol)
  • brakes
  • left and right turn signals on front and back
  • hazards
  • horn
  • wiper operation and blade condition
  • at least one rearview mirror (either center or drivers side)
  • tire tread depth as allowed by law
  • license plate illumination light
  • reverse lights
  • 20mph brake test (basically.. 20mph, can car stop in ~20ft..)
  • windshield cracks on drivers side
  • tint (if they even CARE) of lower than 20% on the fronts
  • audible exhaust leaks.

if any fail, you can have it REMEDIED ON THE SPOT (buy the blown bulb, etc, from them) and not fail, OR you can take the inspection, and return within 10 days to have it RETESTED on THAT ITEM for free, and still pass. Ask for a form/sheet from them to prove to them that this is what you are doing, and not just "leaving" after a failure.
Cost is 12.50

If you have it done in a metro area (that does smog) then the added requirements will be:

cost is 39.50 total
  • visual test of CEL light: on at KOEO, and OFF at KOER, scanner to make sure P1000 isn't present
  • smog sniffer at the tailpipe (some places skip this if the visual test passes)
    If either fails, you fail and lose the 39.50

'99 CSVT - Silver #222/276 In a constant state of blow-off euphoria.
Originally posted by Kremitthefrog:
I like to wear dresses and use binoculars to watch grandmas across the street.

Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
If you fail the smog test, you still pay the money but you get to retake the test for free within a certain time frame (not sure on the time frame).

If the car is OBDII, then they just plug into the computer and check for codes. The actual tailpipe test is done on earlier vehicles.

R
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
R
If you fail the smogtest, or have a CEL on/p1000/any hard codes set, you still pay the 39.50, but have 4(5???) days to retake it and pass for free. However, if you FAIL the second one, I am not sure if you pay again.

Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
Second test is free if you failed the first one. If you fail the second one, that's it. 39.50 gets you two tries.

Let's just say my S10 had a few issues once.

I
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
I
This is one of the few perks of living in the boonies. They don't care how much smoke you belch, how dark the tint, or how many cracks in the windshield. Plus it's more than $25 cheaper.

Then again I live in a dry county, no night life, and nothing to do.

Not exactly a fair trade. :sigh:

BrApple-its all in the way it is presented...but everythign on my resume is all me TexasRealtor-I hope you spelling improves on your resume. MxRacer-ladies and gentlemen, welcome to ironyville. population, texasrelator.
O
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
O
First off, thanks a million for all the info on the state inspection...

So, I found out this week I'll be in San Angelo by this summer(June or July). Is there anybody that lives near San Angelo? Midland Odessa? Abilene? I know there are some San Antonio people on here. It seems you guys have a bit of difficulty getting people together for meets and what not.

Does any body know where the nearest drag strip or raceway (not a dirt track) is to me? Are there any decent road courses in TX? do they have open track days?

San Angelo seems like it would be a halfway/central point between Midland Odessa, Abilene, and San Antonio. There is a pretty decent lakeside recreation area there, for swimming, volleyball, and grilling/bier trinken. There are also a couple of "decent" restaurants, Cheddar's, Johnny Carino's.

If any of this sounds like fun to ya'll speak up...

Ohsigmachi '96 GL MTX Zetec --I don't won't to hurt you, but it's still on my list of things to do.-- View projectSlippery Slope
R
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
R
<---- speaking!!! tubing, swimming, etc, is teh titz..

#1542553 04/10/06 09:50 AM
O
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
O
Originally posted by Ray:
<---- speaking!!! tubing, swimming, etc, is teh titz..

You've been heard!

Well, there's one; anybody else?

I was just in San Angelo a few months ago and saw at least two CSVT's there on post (Goodfellow AFB), they were AD military, any of them on the boards?

Ohsigmachi '96 GL MTX Zetec --I don't won't to hurt you, but it's still on my list of things to do.-- View projectSlippery Slope
B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
Hmm.

I guess I should get my on-again, off-again CEL taken care of one of these days.

Oh well, I have time, I am not moving down to TexASS for another year.

2000 Contour SE Sport Originator of the Beowulf Headlight Mod and the Beowulf CAI
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Eric L_dup1, louisw_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard