Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
O
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
O
I will be getting stationed in San Angelo, TX by the end of the year, and I was wondering what the deal is with state auto inspections. My contour is pretty heavily modified, and I'm wondering what I can and can't get away with. My car is currently tagged and titled in TN(home state of record), can I just keep my TN tags and get an out of state sticker? (that is what I currently do here in Hawaii). Anyway, all info is very welcome, especially from my military colleagues out there.

Thanks,
Mike

Ohsigmachi '96 GL MTX Zetec --I don't won't to hurt you, but it's still on my list of things to do.-- View projectSlippery Slope
D
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
D
San Angelo is the middle of nowhere and you will not have any problem passing Texas inspection. Only major metro areas have to have a smog test. If your in the military wear your uniform when you go get it tested. Most of the people in our state have great respect for the military esspecially those in west Texas. The only issue might be tint and only if it is too dark but again it may not be a problem. If your in Hawaii now just get ready for culture shock.

And welcome to the greatest state unfortunately you will be stationed in the arm pit of Texas. Take time to drive south and visit Big Bend park.

I
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
I
Originally posted by DESIGN:
The only issue might be tint and only if it is too dark but again it may not be a problem.

There will be a lot of inspection stations that will probably look the other way on the tint issue. We've got 'em here in Graham, so I'm sure they do in San Angelo. Just do a little poking around and you'll find one.

And welcome to Texas!!

BrApple-its all in the way it is presented...but everythign on my resume is all me TexasRealtor-I hope you spelling improves on your resume. MxRacer-ladies and gentlemen, welcome to ironyville. population, texasrelator.
R
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
R
Welcome to Texas!

As prior military, I can tell you the following tips:

Large metro areas require smog, GENERALLY smaller areas do not. If they do require it, it is 28.50, without smog is 13.50.

You can have your car tested in the county you live in, or ANY OTHER COUNTY if the other counties are smog-tested (you can't go from a smogged county out to a non-smog county and test your car, etc)

You can tag your car as out of state (TN) with a form at the DMV. you just go get your car inspected/tested and ask for a green form for out of state tags. the inspection place will fill THAT out and you take it to the DMV and you are golden. TN plates, and requirements.

As for tint: 20% in the front, ANYTHING IN THE REAR is allowed, 0% on the windshield, if below the A1SM level. Roll down your two front windows, remove the fuse and then inspect. It isn't illegal to have windows that won't come up.. it is illegal to have tint to dark IF they did come up. Tada!

'99 CSVT - Silver #222/276 In a constant state of blow-off euphoria.
Originally posted by Kremitthefrog:
I like to wear dresses and use binoculars to watch grandmas across the street.

I
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
I
Originally posted by Ray:
Roll down your two front windows, remove the fuse and then inspect. It isn't illegal to have windows that won't come up.. it is illegal to have tint to dark IF they did come up. Tada!

I feel like a moron! I don't know why it never occured to me to do this.

BrApple-its all in the way it is presented...but everythign on my resume is all me TexasRealtor-I hope you spelling improves on your resume. MxRacer-ladies and gentlemen, welcome to ironyville. population, texasrelator.
T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
Do you still have the cats on it? If you don't , you are probably better off trying to find someone to just "pay" for a sticker. As for the tag, Texas requires that you have a Texas tag if you claim residency in Texas. You are also required to carry liability insurance.

Last edited by TexasRealtor; 04/05/06 05:49 PM.

"Eagles may soar high, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."
C
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
C
Originally posted by Ray:
Roll down your two front windows, remove the fuse and then inspect. It isn't illegal to have windows that won't come up.. it is illegal to have tint to dark IF they did come up. Tada!

Thats so cool, way to think outside the box (aka the law)

E0 #4384 of 6535 Born Jan. 9 1998 My SVT from the ashes 147,466 miles, purchased Nov. 2002 @ 76,559 miles
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
I got my S10 and SVT inspected for years at different places and they never checked my windows. I did my Tundra this year and they didn't check and it's below 5%. This year, he actually did test the SVT which came in at 5.something% and he just giggled.

And I believe the correct price is $39.50 with the smog test. Without smog it's something like 12.50 or so.

R
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
R
You are correct, I was mistaken on the price.

And, Bruce: Military law and regulations are a whole new ball game. He can claim residency in Texas, because he is stationed in Texas, but still have TN plates.. as long as his "home of record" in his military records (page 2 entries) states TN, then he is waived.

'99 CSVT - Silver #222/276 In a constant state of blow-off euphoria.
Originally posted by Kremitthefrog:
I like to wear dresses and use binoculars to watch grandmas across the street.

O
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
O
Wow, thanks for all the info guys. I have been to "the armpit" before and am well acquainted with the culture there. Hawaii was culture shock for me, TN(I was born and raised there) and TX are very similar in overall culture (just not landscape). I was mainly worried about ride height and smog. My tint is mild so no biggy there. I don't have a Cat, and my underhood is most definitely not stock...so...what exactly do they do/check/open when they do the inspection? What am I allowed to have done to the engine?

Also, Thanks for the registration info.

on the fuse thing, my cars a zetec GL no pawer windows...so just remove the handle?

Ohsigmachi '96 GL MTX Zetec --I don't won't to hurt you, but it's still on my list of things to do.-- View projectSlippery Slope
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Eric L_dup1, louisw_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard