Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
D
I feel Guilty, Oh so guilty
D
Originally posted by warmonger:
Originally posted by Pienstars:
Before you post, do some research chief. If it's an older PPI amp, it's more than likey one of the best quality amps you could ever buy. The Soundstream Rubicon series is no slouch either. Nice comment about the power ratings as well, you obviously don't know shat about quality car audio. I'll put my trusty little PPI A300's up against all the power you're probably running and you'll get to hear what a quality setup sounds like.

Exactly! The older PPI amps were some of the best made. Are the new ones not as good??

I have the older series of PPI amps and they are phenomenal in reliability, clarity, and power. 4th or 2nd (switchable) order crossovers built in, seious continuous power.
I'm using a PPI 2600 (Chromed exterior) to drive my JBL W12GTi sub and it is perfectly matched.
My PPI 4100 (powdercoat gray) is again driving the front end in the Volvo and it is also very awesome. Those Bostonacoustics Pro60 speakers that I selected sound absolutely crystal, crisp and have very good bass.
I'd recommend them in a heartbeat if you can afford them.

Just FYI, I order some Polk MMC 6.5" coaxial speakers for the rear doors in order to provide the rear fill and round out the sound. I have a friend who uses the Polk Momo speakers and they are very nice for the money. I still prefer the Bostons for superior sound, just a tad more natural sounding I think but the polks will treat you really well.

Many people consider the series including the model listed above to be the last of of the superior quality PPIs. They still make good amps, but their rep has diminished a bit.

"If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit" -Mitch Hedberg
W
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
W
That's really too bad.

Who/what are the top of the line amplifiers these days?

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black
D
D
The likes of Zapco, McIntosh, Audison, and a few others rank among the best. To be honest, I think there are much better deals on amps these days then there was 10 years ago. I don't think quality has taken the drop that some people claim and watt/$ is much better than it ever has been.

"If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit" -Mitch Hedberg
S
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
S
JL audio makes a good amp also.

1998 SVT. Silver Frost. #4076 of 6535. SOLD! http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2143175
S
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
S
JL audio makes nice everything!

i used to run PPI pro mas amps. they were pretty nice but overheated like crazy. and i hated the stupid wiring harnesses. i tried a 2600 but it destroyed my subs. BUT they did make excellent stuff back in the day. id always heard about how great the Art series were. seen them, but never used them.

I used to also use Linear Power back in the day. awesome amps but always shutting down on me due to heating issues. i tried fans and what not but just too much hassle. i prefer the newer amps with their mosfet circuitry.

old Soundstream stuff was great too. and ive been using the older RF stuff for years, without any issues.

ive heard that Xtant are great amps too. i just picked up some Eclipse amps cuz i know that eclipse makes quality products. i believe Kicker amps are pretty good too.

Originally posted by Tourgasm:
Sometimes you can mess up a word so bad that spell check doens't know what the hell you're talking about.

W
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
W
I never had heating issues with any of my PPI amps. It was actually the old Artseries amps that I first bought and they did get hot, but the next two generations were excellent. Never have had a shutdown and I put in enough systems back in the day using the powerdercoated gray series of amps, probably ten different models of that lineup and they never had a heat issue.
Still, I was sizing the amp comfortably in the range of the speakers....:D Hey it wasn't my money. You may have been extracting every ounce of power from them, that tends to run the edge of shutdown esp on a hot day.

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black
W
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
W
Originally posted by dnewma04:
The likes of Zapco, McIntosh, Audison, and a few others rank among the best. To be honest, I think there are much better deals on amps these days then there was 10 years ago. I don't think quality has taken the drop that some people claim and watt/$ is much better than it ever has been.

I've been out of the stuff too long, I don't know those amps.

I have to agree that even the cheaper amps of today provide a lot of features for the money and sound great. Comparable to many mid to high-end amps of ten years ago. I remeber when you couldn't even find an amp with a built in crossover.
The old Coustic XM5e was a mainstay electronic crossover to balance out a multiamp system. Worked great too. Coustic amps and subs are really great bang for the buck stuff too.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  dnewma04_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard