Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
S
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
Originally posted by Chickens:
Originally posted by RTStabler51:
My understanding is that on my CRD the turbine changes/moves. I'm a newb to turbo stuff...

and Prodigy, what does it matter if its on gas or diesel....a turbo is a turbo is it not?

This new turbo has little bitty parts that are normally very sensitive to heat. Gasoline burns hotter and produces higher EGT than diesel. It looks like Porsche and Garrett found out that T316 (or higher) can handle the heat.

"porsche developed its version of VTG with Borg warner turbo systems, overcoming the far higher exhaust-gas temperatures of a gasoline engine with "temperature-resistant materials derived from aerospace technology"

Road & Track

PLEASE HELP ME GET MY CAR TOGETHER! ITS IN DAYTON OHIO! I need the motor together and in the car so i can DRIVE it! Pleeeeeese! diamond pistons for 3.0/forsale #702 of 2150
F
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
That quote sounds almost like a reference to ceramic coatings

S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
The Focus Aerocharger Variable Vane turbo was the only thing on the market for Zetecs for a while there and the people who had it liked it.

The only problem asside from tuning that wasn't as good as it could have been, was that the vanes would eventually gunk up and would start overboosting and would ruin the turbo or blow the engine.

I've heard of a few guys who fixed the overboosting by just putting in a aftermarket external wastegate but that kind of defeats the purpose of the vanes.

The main benefit it had was it had an internal oil supply that would just need to be refilled every 3000 mi so it could be mounted below the oil level if needed.

2000 Rio Red I4 Cougar 200whp & 210wtq at 9psi 254whp & 276wtq with NX 35shot WRX TD04 Turbo, Cut Short Shifter, Strut Tower Bar, 17" ZN Wheels, Roush Springs, Starion Intercooler, NX 35 shot, HKS SS BOV, Full 3" exhaust,StreetFlight Chip
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Originally posted by svtProdigy:
My understanding is that on my CRD the turbine changes/moves. I'm a newb to turbo stuff...

and Prodigy, what does it matter if its on gas or diesel....a turbo is a turbo is it not?

This new turbo has little bitty parts that are normally very sensitive to heat. Gasoline burns hotter and produces higher EGT than diesel. It looks like Porsche and Garrett found out that T316 (or higher) can handle the heat.

"porsche developed its version of VTG with Borg warner turbo systems, overcoming the far higher exhaust-gas temperatures of a gasoline engine with "temperature-resistant materials derived from aerospace technology"

Road & Track

what is the EGT on gas engines typically? Mine are supposedly ~1300

Ryan Trollin!
S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
On my I4, 1200-1300F at cruise speeds are normal without boost.

Underboost, 1400-1500F is safe for stock internals. Forged internals should do 1600F, but I'd like to keep them in the low 1500s.

2000 Rio Red I4 Cougar 200whp & 210wtq at 9psi 254whp & 276wtq with NX 35shot WRX TD04 Turbo, Cut Short Shifter, Strut Tower Bar, 17" ZN Wheels, Roush Springs, Starion Intercooler, NX 35 shot, HKS SS BOV, Full 3" exhaust,StreetFlight Chip
S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
At about 1650�°F you start reach the melting point of Al alloys used in head mfg..

2000 SVT Turbo 295hp/269ftlb@12psi #1 for Bendix Brakes Kits! Knuckles rebuilt w/new bearings $55 AUSSIE ENDLINKS $70 Gutted pre-cats $80/set A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine!
W
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
W
Hello, and welcome to 7 years ago.

The first company I contacted to get the turbo kit created for the Contour was Aerodyne. The turbo they used was a VGT as well. They ran into a few production issues with the turbine unit. In the mean time, I was introduced to StreetFlight (now ADC) and the rest is history.

Yeah, the VATN Aerodyne turbo. They developed it but there were problems if I recall. Porche putting it into a production car has just helped out each and every one of us because it will cause others to respond to compete, making the technology cheaper and available.

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black
W
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
W
My EGT on the turbo SVT routinely reached into the 800's Celsius. That is HOT, be things were not melting.

You have to remember that is the gas temp in the center of the stream not the actual metal temp. The metal sinks heat away and so forth and as long as overheating is not present it won't have a problem with it.

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black
T
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
T

It is, direct injection gasoline is where it is at though. Go test drive a MazdaSpeed6 (That actually has a tank full of 93 octane and not 89 or 91 [Otherwise boost gets dumped aroud 4,300 RPM]) and turbo lag will leave your turbo dictionary forever.

Driving the Caliber Side project: The LT-5 Fiero is being born..
T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by Twisted6:

It is, direct injection gasoline is where it is at though. Go test drive a MazdaSpeed6 (That actually has a tank full of 93 octane and not 89 or 91 [Otherwise boost gets dumped aroud 4,300 RPM]) and turbo lag will leave your turbo dictionary forever.

Boost comes on at like 2200rpm and holds tell the stock BPV starts reeaving pressure at like 6500

99 TRed Contour SVT # 1853 out of 2760 230.2 WHP @ 6500 237.0 WTR @ 2250
Originally posted by MxRacer:
Originally posted by RawBurt:
I'll be keeping it to myself, until the time comes. It'll be hard to find.

much like your weiner.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard