Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
cbman Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
C
I'm considering getting a Boost-a-Pump for my Turbocharged '99 VCT Zetec Cougar, but I'm not exactly sure what the stock fuel limits are on the return-style fuel system?
Does the BAP work on a mechanical Fuel Pressure Regulator system?

'99 Turbocharged Cougar, Built motor in progress
S
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
S
when i get my car turbochrged im going to be running the BAP. ive heard it works really well. i say go for it.

97 contour gl mtx front & rear upper strut tower braces 19mm bat sway bar Koni struts w/GC knockoffs
G
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
G
Interesting write on swapping out the dual Cobra fuel pumps for dual FSVT pumps compared to dual Cobra fuel pumps + BAP.

BAP svtFocus Test

-------------------- 1999 Black/Tan CSVT #2658 of 2760 201,000+km - K&N, Magnecor race wires, Optima red top, BAT Euro Kit, KVR CF pads, PIAA Plasma Ion bulbs. 1989 Yamaha FZR600 - 40,000+km - K&N Pods, Stage 3 Jets, V&H 4-1 exhaust
B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
I'm running a 255lph Walbro Mustang Fuel Pump. Pretty much a direct swap. It was the BBK-1607 for $130.

I also went with an Aeromotive 13102 fuel pressure regulator for $110.

Both would cost less that the boost-a-pump, not stress your stock pump, and be much more reliable. IMHO.

This is all assuming that you have converted to a return style system. (Weren't all Cougars return-less?)

Originally posted by cbman:
Built motor in progress

I need to rob a bank.

HTH,
BP

Last edited by ButtonPuncher; 04/04/06 04:35 AM.

Ben ---'96 Contour GL * Zetec ATX * Tan on Black steelies--- +++JRSC M62 Under Construction+++ My big-a$$ mod list.
C
cbman Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
C
My Cougar, which has a birthday of 5/26/98 is definately a return style system.
My engine is exactly the same as a '99 Contour engine. I know this because it actually came out of a '99 Coutour

So, what are the HP limits of the stock return fuel system.
Buttonpuncher, what is the need for the aftermarket FPR?

S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
1999 Contours have a returnless fuel system.

Frank McCoy aka Mod-deth aka Mid Life Crisis aka SVT Doood aka mcgainer is a SCAM ARTIST Pre98 Zetec - Some Mods
C
cbman Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
C
If you have a '99 Contour that was built before 5/2/99, then it will have a return-style fuel system.

So, we are both right, a '99 Contour could be either.
BTW, what are the stock return-style fuel system limitations?

S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
Remember, you want to keep fuel pressure stock while putting in bigger injectors to give more fuel. You only want to raise fuel pressure on a 1:1 ratio to compensate for the extra boost in the intake.

You'll want the rising rate fuel regulator to do that. What size injectors will depend how much power. 42lb/hr injectors will be good for around 200-230whp at stock fuel pressure.

More than 230whp or so, I'd go for the bigger fuel pump also. The main benefit of a return fuel system is when you're driving hard in the upper rpms where lag is minimal to non existant, if you go from low throttle to full throttle(ie. no boost to full boost), the ECU can't compensate for the sudden fuel pressure change as well as a mechanical system can.

2000 Rio Red I4 Cougar 200whp & 210wtq at 9psi 254whp & 276wtq with NX 35shot WRX TD04 Turbo, Cut Short Shifter, Strut Tower Bar, 17" ZN Wheels, Roush Springs, Starion Intercooler, NX 35 shot, HKS SS BOV, Full 3" exhaust,StreetFlight Chip
B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
Originally posted by cbman:
Buttonpuncher, what is the need for the aftermarket FPR?

The Aeromotive is an adjustable FPR. That way if I run out of fuel with my injectors, I can bump the pressure to compensate.

I have to totally agree with Seawulf. The throttle response with the Mustang fuel pump and the FPR is incredible. There is no bog anymore when I stomp on it. My Zetec just goes. Part throttle is also incredible.

I'm not sure what the limitations of the stock return fuel system are. I wouldn't want to push it past 160-170 FWHP.

Now with the 255lph Walbro, I'm sure I will never get near the limits that it can provide. I wanted to bulletproof my fuel system before throwing my turbo on. I'm pretty sure that I've accomplished that goal.

BTW, the Aeromotive is a 1:1 FPR. (It will rise equally with boost.)

HTH,
BP

Ben ---'96 Contour GL * Zetec ATX * Tan on Black steelies--- +++JRSC M62 Under Construction+++ My big-a$$ mod list.
C
cbman Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
C
I see, I wasn't aware that I could get a pressure-adjusting FPR for that price. I understand the need for an increase in fuel pressure when there is positive pressure present on the output side of the injectors. So, now it looks like I have something else to buy.

How long should it take to drop the gas tank and swap the pump?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Loco4G63 

Link Copied to Clipboard